Does anyone else read self-help books? I read a ton of them, mostly health/fitness and mental health related, but I also enjoy an occasional motivational. Therapy has been largely unsuccessful in my life, so I just stopped going. I guess I'm trying to fix myself.

I'm currently reading Alcohol Explained by William Porter.

He's an ex Marine so the book is very factual and straight to the point. Zero fluff.

I don't think I have a problem, but I do think my life could just be better in general without it.

"She paints, she reads, she lights things on fire."

I mostly know the titles and covers just from stepping into bookstores where this genre is placed very prominently.

I think I noticed a trend of self-help and personal development books that are heavily indebted to (regurgitate, if you're less kind) the stoic philosophers. Which makes a lot of sense and there's nothing wrong with that.

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

I've read a few. I typed my experience with alcohol today in my newest blog in my signature. I read the AA book back in 2015, and it helped but the thing that helped me quit alcohol was AA meetings. Just hearing someone else talk about their troubles at the meetings with the speakers and plus all the go-arounds people add after.
this small black book helped me the most, meant to be read one page a day, but that one page can be read many times:

The only self-help books I've read are this 24 hours a day book, the AA book, and the bible.

Thank you for sharing your story.  :D

I'll look into Twenty-Four Hours a Day.

"She paints, she reads, she lights things on fire."

Quote from: Mindy on Sep 13, 2023, 05:01 PMI've read a few. I typed my experience with alcohol today in my newest blog in my signature. I read the AA book back in 2015, and it helped but the thing that helped me quit alcohol was AA meetings. Just hearing someone else talk about their troubles at the meetings with the speakers and plus all the go-arounds people add after.
this small black book helped me the most, meant to be read one page a day, but that one page can be read many times:

The only self-help books I've read are this 24 hours a day book, the AA book, and the bible.

The steps saved my life. That's all I got, thanks for letting me share.

Is Twenty-Four Hours a Day a book to help with addiction?

It made me think of this altogether more light-hearted book, which shares a similar title and is (according to some) a very early self-help book:-

I just love books from long ago that still ring true today, and this one, written in 1908, is very easy to read. Although I haven't read it in 50 years, I remember enjoying its easy prose, and I have just learned that (i) it's a mere 80 pages long and (ii) it's available, complete, for free and with no complex downloading at this link: just click and start reading: -

https://ia800906.us.archive.org/29/items/howtoliveon24hou00bennuoft/howtoliveon24hou00bennuoft.pdf

In fact, I think I'll take my own advice and read it again when I get home. Does anyone want to join me, so that we can compare notes on another day?

To get lost is to learn the way.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Nov 11, 2023, 01:35 AMIs Twenty-Four Hours a Day a book to help with addiction?

It made me think of this altogether more light-hearted book, which shares a similar title and is (according to some) a very early self-help book:-

I just love books from long ago that still ring true today, and this one, written in 1908, is very easy to read. Although I haven't read it in 50 years, I remember enjoying its easy prose, and I have just learned that (i) it's a mere 80 pages long and (ii) it's available, complete, for free and with no complex downloading at this link: just click and start reading: -

https://ia800906.us.archive.org/29/items/howtoliveon24hou00bennuoft/howtoliveon24hou00bennuoft.pdf

In fact, I think I'll take my own advice and read it again when I get home. Does anyone want to join me, so that we can compare notes on another day?

One of the big mantras in the Alcoholics Anonymous fellowship is "One day at a time". So yes, Twenty Four Hours A Day basically gives people in recovery advice on how to stay present in each day.

I'd take you up on reading buddies, but I can't even finish the 10 books I've started this year.

Quote from: aurora on Nov 11, 2023, 02:41 AMOne of the big mantras in the Alcoholics Anonymous fellowship is "One day at a time". So yes, Twenty Four Hours A Day basically gives people in recovery advice on how to stay present in each day.

I'd take you up on reading buddies, but I can't even finish the 10 books I've started this year.

^ Thanks for replying, aurora, and welcome to SCD ! :thumb:

I've heard that "One Day At A Time" piece of advice before, and I think it's a very good approach to get through some of life's toughest, most challenging periods.

Haha! Yes, probably best if you don't add another book to your "must finish" list right now :)

To get lost is to learn the way.