Quote from: Toy Revolver on May 27, 2023, 05:39 PMwith a good book and some tunes the sea is the perfect meditative background to a lazy day - especially when it's cool out but not freezing

if you can spend a full day with literature and music why not do it with a beautiful view

I've never found a comfortable way to read at the beach and I'm not going to play music there because I think it's an obnoxious thing to do in public.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Fully agree about the public music wankers.

Summer here now so there are plenty of them about.

'Ooh, look at me! Everybody please notice the sort of music I listen to!'

Cunts.

Only God knows.

Quote from: Guybrush on May 27, 2023, 08:35 AMI feel like I may have posted this before, but oh well.

I think private schools should be abolished. If the rich send their kids to better private schools, it creates distance between an elite of kids / young people who need to have no contact with or understand the lives of the less fortunate. They get much more opportunity to get good positions / jobs / roles in society, becoming or staying rich and sending their own kids to private school which then adds to a feedback system propping up and isolating the elite class. It removes incentives for rich people to put resources into public schools where it might benefit all.

It's kinda perverse, really.

In Norway, education is free and most kids go to public schools (including rich people's kids). Most private schools have religious agendas (!). I understand how it's important that they have a place of their own where they can warp a child's sense of reality.

Or, you know.. better to just get rid of them altogether.

private and public schools should be abolished or at least reformed so profoundly that the current incarnation would be unrecognizable

i'm real big on this next one though: school should never be compulsory

compulsory is education is the state saying we have the right to kidnap your children for 7.5 hours five days a week 30 something weeks a year for 16 years

how that goes relatively unchallenged blows my mind

once the compulsory component is abolished parents that force school on their children should be punished for child abuse

that said, in the window of reality i totally agree private schools should be abolished- schools also shouldn't be funded with property taxes (obviously) and minorities, especially blacks, should have access to free public SEGREGATED schools with no interference from white people concerning curriculum or discipline

Quote from: Janszoon on May 27, 2023, 05:51 PMI've never found a comfortable way to read at the beach and I'm not going to play music there because I think it's an obnoxious thing to do in public.

headphones and a towel

goddamn son it's not the 1970's

next one: expensive speakers are stupid - good noise canceling headphones sound way better than any speaker ever invented including the ones bands use for live shows and in clubs

Quote from: jimmy jazz on May 27, 2023, 05:53 PMFully agree about the public music wankers.

Cunts.

my house constantly shakes from car stereos

even at like 8 in the morning

black people are fucking loud

Quote from: jimmy jazz on May 27, 2023, 05:53 PMFully agree about the public music wankers.

Cunts.

I've run to those people hiking sometimes, which always seems especially ridiculous.

Quote from: Toy Revolver on May 27, 2023, 05:56 PMheadphones and a towel

goddamn son it's not the 1970's

One of the few nice things about the beach is the sound of the crashing waves, so the idea of wearing headphones there is unappealing. Trying to read while lying on a towel is uncomfortable, and before you say it, so is reading in a beach chair.

QuoteOne of the few nice things about the beach is the sound of the crashing waves, so the idea of wearing headphones there is unappealing. Trying to read while lying on a towel is uncomfortable, and before you say it, so is reading in a beach chair.

fact on missing out on crashing waves but if it's all day i can dig taking turns on the sounds

fair enough on the reading thing - it's not a problem for me but i ain't you

about hiking - i had a person i ran into make a comment about me listening to my walkman trying to lecture me on missing out on the experience

i was like the reason for the hike is new scenery to enjoy my music in

i still enjoy the nature sounds but fuck it i also love music - i should've said "fuck you thoreau" i was so much easier going back then - today i would be like dafuq and ready to cap 😂

Quote from: Toy Revolver on May 27, 2023, 06:22 PMfact on missing out on crashing waves but if it's all day i can dig taking turns on the sounds

fair enough on the reading thing - it's not a problem for me but i ain't you

about hiking - i had a person i ran into make a comment about me listening to my walkman trying to lecture me on missing out on the experience

i was like the reason for the hike is new scenery to enjoy my music in

i still enjoy the nature sounds but fuck it i also love music - i should've said "fuck you thoreau" i was so much easier going back then - today i would be like dafuq and ready to cap 😂

That's weird. I don't understand why anyone would be bothered by someone else wearing headphones.

Quote from: Janszoon on May 27, 2023, 06:06 PMTrying to read while lying on a towel is uncomfortable, and before you say it, so is reading in a beach chair.

Problem solved ;)

Yeah, I've never gone the walkman music route in any circumstance: beach, hike, even train commute to work - I prefer to be alert to the sounds around me, like a wary animal. Especially if you're engrossed in a book, it's good to keep your ears open at least.

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Quote from: Janszoon on May 27, 2023, 06:26 PMThat's weird. I don't understand why anyone would be bothered by someone else wearing headphones.

I think people look like dicks when they wear big ones in public round their necks. Especially if they're Beats and they're wearing them as a fashion statement.

Also the types to be public music wankers too.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on May 27, 2023, 06:36 PMI think people look like dicks when they wear big ones in public round their necks. Especially if they're Beats and they're wearing them as a fashion statement.

Also the types to be public music wankers too.

i wear big ass sony ones

they're always on my ears though

it's definitely not a statement - i like listening to music basically all the time

beats sound like shit btw - nothing but bass - no midrange no treble

Quote from: Janszoon on May 27, 2023, 06:26 PMThat's weird. I don't understand why anyone would be bothered by someone else wearing headphones.

tbh i think he probably only got out into the woods once a year and assumed everyone else was equally strapped to their miserable suburban experience

he felt like what he was doing was a profound detachment which is fine but who fucks with people when they should be enjoying nature besides serial killers

Quote from: Toy Revolver on May 27, 2023, 06:43 PMi wear big ass sony ones

they're always on my ears though

it's definitely not a statement - i like listening to music basically all the time

beats sound like shit btw - nothing but bass - no midrange no treble

I know it's not a fashion statement in your case, you told us what you usually wear and fashion seems like the last thing on our mind.

I've got Sennheiser HD 599. Open back. Best ones I've ever used.

Wouldn't wear any headphones in public. I've got some wireless ear buds Honor sent me, they're fucking great but I'm not walking around in public where I can't hear my surroundings. I dunno how people do it.

Only God knows.

QuoteYeah, I've never gone the walkman music route in any circumstance: beach, hike, even train commute to work - I prefer to be alert to the sounds around me, like a wary animal. Especially if you're engrossed in a book, it's good to keep your ears open at least.

i've heard that before- and from people that said you need to be able to hear when you cycle through the city

hearing all that hoopla just makes me jumpy

blocking everything else helps me relax

overreacting to every sound is more of a problem for me than the risk of something really happening