RIP
Apr 23, 2023, 11:43 AM Last Edit: Apr 23, 2023, 11:45 AM by jadis
We need one of those...

Kicking things off with a true entertainment industry institution,   

Dame Edna/Barry Humphries 

This is a good piece

QuoteSo fully did Mr. Humphries animate Edna that he was at continued pains to point out that he was neither a female impersonator in the conventional sense nor a cross-dresser in any sense.

Very sharp-tongued

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

Oh no I really loved this guy

Jerry Springer, influential US talkshow host, dies aged 79

Used to love watching his show with my dad. A father and son bonding around mutual appreciation for American culture

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

Springer was definitely a character.

The Word has spoken :D

Canadian Folk Singer Gordon Lightfoot Dies at 84

Can't say that I was a big fan but he had some good songs and several hits that I remember quite well.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on May 02, 2023, 12:36 PMCanadian Folk Singer Gordon Lightfoot Dies at 84

Can't say that I was a big fan but he had some good songs and several hits that I remember quite well.

big loss - one of the best of his kind

Wasn't really a Lightfoot fan either but I loved this protest song concerning the Detroit Riots of 1967.

The Word has spoken :D

So sorry. All those posts in my feeds must have been anniversary reports.

(I'm like this all the time.)

Quote from: innerspaceboy on May 12, 2023, 06:17 PMSo sorry. All those posts in my feeds must have been anniversary reports.

i would've loved to see him open for gary numan

Rita Lee from Os Mutantes RIP

Quote from: Toy Revolver on May 12, 2023, 06:54 PMRita Lee from Os Mutantes RIP

that deserved some acknowledgment from the peanut gallery here

mark stewart from the pop group "Stewart died on 21 April 2023"

#14 May 21, 2023, 02:37 PM Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 02:43 PM by Lisnaholic
^ You are ahead of me by (*checks posting times*) 12 hours.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/05/20/us/british-author-martin-amis-dead-at-73/index.html

Him and his dad both had huge reputations in Britain - the events of their lives turning up on the front pages of newspapers, which is not that common for authors.

I've read a couple of Martin Amis books, both of them clever, stylish, kind of knowingly using or playing with literary conventions, so you might call them "mannered" I think. Also very contemporary, as both Amis guys were known for identifying new social trends as they happened. Great books? Not really. That's why MA doesn't have one always-mentioned masterpiece, the way some authors do. None-the-less, a really engaging writer: I think the piece by him I most enjoyed was a long newspaper article about Dinosaurs. It was full of original ideas, neat turns of phase, and I remember thinking, "This isn't newspaper stuff, this is literature."

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.