#570 May 18, 2024, 10:49 PM Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 10:56 PM by Marie Monday
Quote from: jimmy jazz on May 18, 2024, 07:02 PM@Marie Monday just wondered if you were aware of this. Hopefully you will feel the rage I felt when reading it and will join me in my hate campaign against Manchester City.

Doncaster Belles were one of, if not the biggest clubs in women's football. They dominated it in the 80s and 90s and only lost two league games in a period of 15 years (yes you read that right).

In 2013, when expanding the Women's Super League, the were forcibly removed and demoted to the lower division (WSL 2). They were replaced by Manchester City. Since then it's been downhill and they're now in the 4th tier of English women's football.

I always thought it was very convenient that the WSL's top teams align almost perfectly with the male counterparts, well now I can see partly why. They engineered it that way, presumably in an effort to increase the viewership and fan base of women's football (I'd imagine some brown envelopes were exchanged too).

Sickening imo.

yeah I'm not surprised but that's gross. Have always hated man city as a club too. Unfortunately their women's team is actually nice and quite sympathetic so I still prefer them over many other wsl teams (fuck Chelsea). Even worse is that Viv Miedema will allegedly transfer to city so I'll be forced to cheer for them to some extent 🤢 I get her decision though, as an absolute top player in the wsl only arsenal, Chelsea, and city are options. Viv's goodbye today was emotional, I'm glad I got to be there

(Not my pic my camera is rubbish)

Anyway COYG tomorrow <3

also to add to this, promoting city at other teams' expense for popularity is extra dumb because I can tell you from aexperience that a LOT of women's football fans don't give a shit about men's football. Popularity of women's football is its own thing, smaller for now of course, but not dependent on the men.

I don't really care much either but I'm manifesting that the premier league ends in this spirit