Jan 28, 2023, 10:34 PM Last Edit: Jan 31, 2023, 04:42 PM by Guybrush
What are you listening to? I enjoy Casefile quite a bit, I have tried one or two other crime pods and they're OK but not the same. Red-handed was one I tried. Two women comedians, but they make it all about themselves and not the case being discussed and I can't stand that.

The Casefile episodes about the EARONS, Yorkshire Ripper, Moors Murderers and Silk Road were all compelling listening and had me gripped.

Any recs?

Only God knows.

I'm been listening to Where Were You in '92 lately. It's a generally enjoyable music podcast, though I feel like sometimes it's evident that the host is too young to fully understand the cultural landscape of the year he has chosen to focus on.

Recently, I listened to all the available episodes of The Outlaw Ocean, which is a fantastic, and sometimes very disturbing, podcast. It's basically about all the fucked up shit that happens in international waters, away from the jurisdiction of any government's laws. Episodes range from murder to illegal waste disposal, but all of them are excellent. The host is also responsible for the music, which is great all by itself.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

I listen to Last Podcast on the Left for my comedy / true crime content (don't care much for ghosts, UFOs, etc). They just have great banter and chemistry and are just a lot of fun.

One of the guys from LPOTL also makes a music podcast with his wife called No Dogs in Space, so I listened to all of that too. It's great and very well researched.

Some other things I tried, but that are / were not as entertaining are Lore, Badlands and My Favorite Murder (although I've only heard S1 of that which was very messy. Maybe they've improved.)

Quote from: Janszoon on Jan 29, 2023, 04:13 AMRecently, I listened to all the available episodes of The Outlaw Ocean, which is a fantastic, and sometimes very disturbing, podcast. It's basically about all the fucked up shit that happens in international waters, away from the jurisdiction of any government's laws. Episodes range from murder to illegal waste disposal, but all of them are excellent. The host is also responsible for the music, which is great all by itself.

This sounds like fun! Gonna check it out 🥸

Happiness is a warm manatee

Thank you guys.

Only God knows.

@Janszoon just wanted to thank you for the Outlaw Ocean podcast tip. It was right up my alley and very interesting. I'm two episodes deep and am very much looking forward to diving into the third :)

Quote from: Guybrush on Feb 04, 2023, 09:07 AM@Janszoon just wanted to thank you for the Outlaw Ocean podcast tip. It was right up my alley and very interesting. I'm two episodes deep and am very much looking forward to diving into the third :)
I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Casefile is back and this weeks case is Fred and Rose West. 3 parts, next two being released next week and the week after

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Feb 10, 2023, 02:44 AMCasefile is back and this weeks case is Fred and Rose West. 3 parts, next two being released next week and the week after

I haven't heard Casefile, but I know the West case fairly well. It was recently covered by Last Podcast on the Left in a two-parter, I believe, but I'd also seen a tv documentary before that and the interview with the surviving daughter who wrote a book about her experience.

Horrific case for sure and even more so as there were children involved.

#8 Feb 21, 2023, 02:59 PM Last Edit: Feb 21, 2023, 04:55 PM by Janszoon
I don't know if anyone here listens to Dan Carlin (host of the excellent Hardcore History podcast), but his recent interview with Rick Rubin is fantastic. It can be found on standard podcast apps, but here's the YouTube link for anyone who's interested:

Is Hardcore History a history podcast? And if so is it good?

Only God knows.

#10 Feb 22, 2023, 01:11 AM Last Edit: Feb 22, 2023, 01:16 AM by Janszoon
Quote from: jimmy jazz on Feb 22, 2023, 01:03 AMIs Hardcore History a history podcast? And if so is it good?

Yes and yes. He tends to only release a few episodes per year, but each one runs several hours, is well researched, well told, and well produced. The older stuff is pay-per-episode, but it's worth it. The four part Ghosts of the Ostfront is one of my favorite series of episodes of any podcast.

OK I will give it a look thanks.

I've stopped listening to true crime stuff now. I don't think it was doing me any good. Makes me feel sad and I'm looking for something else.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Feb 22, 2023, 01:18 AMOK I will give it a look thanks.

I've stopped listening to true crime stuff now. I don't think it was doing me any good. Makes me feel sad and I'm looking for something else.
I'm not sure how much the brutality of the eastern front will cheer you up, but it is a very good podcast. :laughing: Also, so you know, the Addendum, which the Rick Rubin interview is part of, is organized as a separate podcast and is mostly interviews. It's also good.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is legendary, of course! I listened to it before I considered myself a podcast listener. It's been a while since I checked it out last, though, so I appreciate the recommendation.

And Rick Rubin's definitely an interesting character :)

Hardcore history is by far the best history podcast

i actually paid for the wrath of the khans series and i rarely pay for anything incredible stuff

the stuff he did on WW1 is mind blowing as well - the details he goes into about the logistics

i thought about splurging for his entire everything but i'd rather find some way to download it for free

anyway this one i found really relevant to my present day life - sontag was big when i was in college

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/philosophize-this/id659155419?i=1000602383709

QuoteToday we talk about the essay titled Against Interpretation by Susan Sontag.