This thread is for all things/discussions related to the Olympics.

I'm kind of curious what's the forums opinion on them.

Are you even going to watch? Did you see the opening ceremony?

What sports are you looking forward to seeing?

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Kayak Cross and Breaking.

I'm also looking forward to the skate boarding competition, women's track and field and women's gymnastics.

I was this cool the whole time.

they need a bowling competition!

I've not seen the opening ceremony yet but everyone I have spoke to has slagged it a bit. The 2012 London olympics opening ceremony can't be beaten though lol.

I will probably tune in for equestrian sports, running, swimming and maybe a few others but they're my favourites.

It will maybe be interesting to see skateboarding and surfing, I think they're relatively new to the Olympic Games.

I loved the opening ceremonies having the parade of athletes on boats in the river was a dope idea.

They had skateboarding at Toyko but yeah it's still relatively new.

The new ones this time is break dancing and kayak cross.

Surfing was also at the Tokyo games as well. So yeah on the newish side.

I really liked the Assassin's Creed looking character taking the torch through different areas and riding a mechanical horse over the river.

I'm not in the least bit interested in the Olympics - never have been, even when Ireland compete - but I'm glad to see someone started a thread, as I assumed there would be a lot of interest in them on the forum, and was surpised to see no thread. So well done, DJ.

(This post will be my entire contribution to this thread though. Have fun! Laters!)

#5 Jul 28, 2024, 04:01 AM Last Edit: Jul 28, 2024, 04:05 AM by Janszoon
Quote from: FETCHER. on Jul 27, 2024, 03:15 PMI've not seen the opening ceremony yet but everyone I have spoke to has slagged it a bit. The 2012 London olympics opening ceremony can't be beaten though lol.

I liked the opening ceremony for this one! Gojira and the last supper fashion runway thing were the standouts to me.

As far as the US coverage of the opening ceremony goes, what a dud. Peyton Manning couldn't stop talking about himself and Kelly Clarkson, on the rare occasion of her saying anything, was stunningly inarticulate.

Throw your dog the invisible bone.

Yeah I see that there has been a lot of pearl clutching about the drag queen last supper part from Christians and non Christians that just want to rant about woke culture being a menace.

Convicted rapist Van de Velde booed on Olympic debut

QuoteConvicted child rapist Steven van de Velde made his Olympic beach volleyball debut to a mixed reaction in Paris, with audible boos.

Van de Velde was sentenced to four years in prison in 2016 after admitting three counts of rape against a 12-year-old British girl.

What got me interested in the Olympics? Probably Great Britain's Daley Thompson winning gold in the Decathlon in the 80s (which spawned that finger crunching game on the ZX Spectrum). Mostly it was the athletics that had me on the edge of my seat. 100m, 200m and 400m are great, especially the relays cos anything can happen.

I haven't got into the Paris games yet, but I read that France won the gold in the rugby sevens and I'll watch the highlights asap.

Bring on the Games!

Simone Biles is stealing the olympics so far this year 👏. I love that for her.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Sha'Carri Richardson. I need to check when she will be racing.

Duncan Scott from Glasgow is doing extremely well, he is now the most decorated scottish Olympian. He passed Sir Chris Hoy's 7 medals today when he gained his 8th.

I can't think of anything else so far.

Quote from: FETCHER. on Aug 02, 2024, 11:35 PMSimone Biles is stealing the olympics so far this year 👏. I love that for her.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Sha'Carri Richardson. I need to check when she will be racing.

Duncan Scott from Glasgow is doing extremely well, he is now the most decorated scottish Olympian. He passed Sir Chris Hoy's 7 medals today when he gained his 8th.

Jeezo I forgot Scott Brash (Scotland) and the rest of team GB getting gold in showjumping.

Quote from: FETCHER. on Aug 02, 2024, 11:35 PMSimone Biles is stealing the olympics so far this year 👏. I love that for her.

Sha Carri started today and if she advanced she's gonna run tomorrow as well. They also have a relay race on August 8th.

track and field over the weekend was so good.

Sha Carri got the silver medal and Noah Lyles won the gold medal by .005 of a second. It was a photo finish in the men's 100m.

I love Kayak Cross so much it was insane to watch.  :laughing:  New favorite Olympic sport. I also kind of hate that I think I missed out on the break dancing one. I'm going to have to search around and see if I can find clips anywhere.