QuoteOkay, but who is going to be there to protect you from getting mugged?

Nobody protects me now. The police do not make the community safer. They are psychopathic thugs weaponized by the state to inflict terror on the community. You actually think the police will intervene on my behalf if I'm getting mugged? I'm amazed people still have this impression of the police. They don't stop crime and if you report it later they treat you like a suspect. To them everyone is a suspect or to be more honest about it a potential victim of their state sponsored crime syndicate.

Not defund the police. Abolish. End their existence.

Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Jan 29, 2023, 02:13 PMACAB.

Every time I see that acronym, it makes me think of that crappy ABACAB album by Genesis.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Jan 29, 2023, 05:24 PM
Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Jan 29, 2023, 02:13 PMACAB.

Every time I see that acronym, it makes me think of that crappy ABACAB album by Genesis.

Trollheart loves that record.

Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Jan 29, 2023, 05:18 PM

Nobody protects me now. The police do not make the community safer. They are psychopathic thugs weaponized by the state to inflict terror on the community. You actually think the police will intervene on my behalf if I'm getting mugged? I'm amazed people still have this impression of the police. They don't stop crime and if you report it later they treat you like a suspect. To them everyone is a suspect or to be more honest about it a potential victim of their state sponsored crime syndicate.

I can see how a simple story is attractive. These guys are acting evil because that's the job handed to them by the government. It's so much simpler than the much more likely explanation that these guys and their working environment were shaped by forces inside your own society that may have to do with which values are instilled, how your society makes you care about each other, how scared you are of each other, how society teaches you to separate fact from fiction, how society gives equal opportunity and access to services (or not), etc.

How much easier it is to just say remove the police than it is to have to do something about the complex web of problems that may actually lie at the root of this and many other problems.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Nah on the bait and switch. My understanding of the complexity and rottenness of American culture is fine and no one is more fixated on correcting the injustices that caused this mess than me. I live in a police state. The root of the problem is this country has been the most aggressive necro-capitalist monster on earth since the first Indian was murdered in the name of private property. Removing the police is doing "something about the complex web of problems that may actually lie at the root of this and many other problems" it's dissolving the domestic military wing of our capitalist death machine. Prison and police abolition are core principles of any revolutionary action in America.

Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 29, 2023, 05:42 PM

I can see how a simple story is attractive. These guys are acting evil because that's the job handed to them by the government. It's so much simpler than the much more likely explanation that these guys and their working environment were shaped by forces inside your own society that may have to do with which values are instilled, how your society makes you care about each other, how scared you are of each other, how society teaches you to separate fact from fiction, how society gives equal opportunity and access to services (or not), etc.

How much easier it is to just say remove the police than it is to have to do something about the complex web of problems that may actually lie at the root of this and many other problems.
you're right that the police is not the root of the problem and that the solution doesn't end there, but it's a core manifestation of the problem and a good place to start

Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 29, 2023, 05:42 PM

Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Jan 29, 2023, 06:30 PMNah on the bait and switch. My understanding of the complexity and rottenness of American culture is fine and no one is more fixated on correcting the injustices that caused this mess than me. I live in a police state. The root of the problem is this country has been the most aggressive necro-capitalist monster on earth since the first Indian was murdered in the name of private property. Removing the police is doing "something about the complex web of problems that may actually lie at the root of this and many other problems" it's dissolving the domestic military wing of our capitalist death machine. Prison and police abolition are core principles of any revolutionary action in America.

You hit the nail on the head, Guybrush. It is a lot more complicated than simply "police are bad non-police are good." We Americans live in a society where we're supposed to worship authority even as we espouse our basic freedoms. It's why we tend to look the other way when police abuse is staring right in front of us, especially when it comes to minorities.

And yet, we're not in a police state exactly. We can go to our business most of the time without worrying about being stopped by some rogue cop. I mean that possibility is always there, but for the most part, they're more concerned about getting that great drug bust than they are about how you do your laundry. If you really want to live in a police state, try some of the South American nations or maybe even some of Asia. I bet North Korea is a swell place to live.

The Word has spoken :D

Quotenon-police are good

ftr i never said that so if that if that's an attack on my position it's a strawman

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2023/01/30/tyre-nichols-skateboard-photography-videos-youtube-memories-orig-kj.cnn he was a totally good dude - talented skateboarder

they pulled him over not for any driving violation - they just wanted to bully someone - this isn't an arrest that went wrong - this isn't even george floyd - one minute he's driving a car and suddenly five 200 plus pound meatheads from a psychopathic gang they call the scorpions are beating the life out of him

if i said the mafia should be abolished or the klan or the taliban or the crips and the bloods there's little objection - the police are the same thing

Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 01, 2023, 07:52 PMhttps://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2023/01/30/tyre-nichols-skateboard-photography-videos-youtube-memories-orig-kj.cnn he was a totally good dude - talented skateboarder

they pulled him over not for any driving violation - they just wanted to bully someone - this isn't an arrest that went wrong - this isn't even george floyd - one minute he's driving a car and suddenly five 200 plus pound meatheads from a psychopathic gang they call the scorpions are beating the life out of him

if i said the mafia should be abolished or the klan or the taliban or the crips and the bloods there's little objection - the police are the same thing

It does seem odd. I wonder if one or more of the cops knew him from somewhere and wanted to get their pound of flesh.

I also wonder if there is a parallel between the Scorpions and the events of We Own This City which is about the corruption of the Gun Trace task Force. They too also used bullying tactics to extort money from innocent victims.

https://apnews.com/article/ff6e14009393db7b12f984f0bc96965f

QuoteThe officer, Demetrius Haley, stood over Nichols as he lay propped against a police car and took photographs, which Haley sent to other officers and a female acquaintance, according to documents released by the Tennessee Peace Officers Standards and Training Commission.

They all probably masturbate to it. Not saying that to be facetious. I'm 100% serious. Cops love this kind of thing. That's why he was comfortable sending it around.

The lack of outrage compared to George Floyd shows how powerful the racial narrative is. Of course, the cops are racists and no one hates black people more than black cops. But without a white villain it's cute little signs instead moltov cocktails.

There are some differences with George Floyd and Tyree Nichols. For one thing you had a President that was very divisive with Floyd. It was as much an indictment on Trump as it was on the cops themselves. With Nichols, the President seems pretty bland, and while we should be outraged (and many of us are), it isn't really an indictment of Biden so the anger seems a little less, particularly with the press. Plus since the cops in this case were black, maybe it's easier for whites to look the other way, black on black crime and all of that.

Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 08, 2023, 12:56 PMhttps://apnews.com/article/ff6e14009393db7b12f984f0bc96965f

The lack of outrage compared to George Floyd shows how powerful the racial narrative is. Of course, the cops are racists and no one hates black people more than black cops. But without a white villain it's cute little signs instead moltov cocktails.

That seems to be the unfortunate racial situation in America. No other racial combination of cop vs. victim of police brutality ever seems to get anywhere near the coverage in the media or generate the same level of outrage than when it's a white cop/cops and a black victim.

Biden sponsored the 94 crime bill which was the most racist legislation of the post-vietnam era. I believe both Floyd and Nichols would be alive if it wasn't for Biden.

Trump is very racist but not against blacks like Biden. Trump had a good relationship with the hip hop community when he was just a rich white guy. Then he pardoned hip hop artists while in office.

But yeah, you're right, Trump was more fun to hate, plus there was covid boredom but Nichols' murder is the worst and the five black cops on the one black man really shows it's just the American way. All the more reason for revolutionary actions aimed at the entire capitalist super structure.

The 94 crime bill was a huge mistake obviously but a lot of that can be blamed on American Society. It was politically popular to be "tough on crime" then and I'm not sure people were thinking of the racial overtones at the time. Even black politicians supported the bill because it was so popular and of course if it was popular, Clinton was going to sign it.

I'm not sure how to rate Nichols or Floyd on the horror scale. Let's just say they're all horrific including the ones we never get to know about.