"Thanks for reading my little match reports and comments, those of you who did, and for those who are or were not too familiar with the teams competing this year, I hope my little sketches of them helped. If not, sod ya."

:laughing:

Only God knows.

Quote from: Trollheart on Jul 15, 2024, 01:52 AMSo that's it. Another Euro tournament comes to an end. Thanks for reading my little match reports and comments, those of you who did, and for those who are or were not too familiar with the teams competing this year, I hope my little sketches of them helped. If not, sod ya. We'll do it all again in two years, but first we got the World Cup coming up. And before that we have the UEFA Nations Cup. Oh, and before you know it, the Premier League will be back! All together now...

"You're shit, and you know you are.... You're gettin' sacked in the morning...One nil, one nil, one nil... You're not singing, you're not singing, you're not singing anymore!" etc.

Cheers for your match reports, TH. That was a great tournament. The Lightning Seeds goes back in the drawer for another 4 years.

Just wondering (TH and JJ), do they have soccer at the Olympics? If so, is it a combined GBR team like the athletics?

Quote from: Saulaac on Jul 15, 2024, 07:50 PMCheers for your match reports, TH. That was a great tournament. The Lightning Seeds goes back in the drawer for another 4 years.

Just wondering (TH and JJ), do they have soccer at the Olympics? If so, is it a combined GBR team like the athletics?

Yes they do and no they don't.

We (the UK) don't put a team forward (with the exception of 2012 which is explained by #2 below). There are two reasons why.

1. The Football Associations of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland don't want to because they fear it could jeapordise the recognition of their own national teams and then have to compete as one British team, despite reassurances from FIFA that this wouldn't be the case, and

2. Qualification is based on how your team does in FIFA/UEFA competitions and qualifying. Because we compete as four individual teams, there is then the question of us having four attempts at qualifying vs everyone else having just one. With us hosting in 2012, this meant qualification wasn't an issue.

As some will know, I am a staunch Unionist and I support the United Kingdom, so an Olympic team would be brilliant.

Oh well.

Only God knows.

Oh man, I kinda knew there was a bit of friction but I never realised the intracacies of UK football. I hope they work it out and that we have a GBR team competing soon!

Some more information for you:

The qualifying tournament, like that for the World Cup, is organised along continental lines. Most continental confederations organise a special Under-23 qualifying tournament, although the European qualifiers are drawn from the finalists of the UEFA Under-21 Championship. Teams participating in the preliminary and final competitions must be composed of U-23 players, with up to three players who are at least 23. For Paris 2024, U-23 players were born after 1 January 2001.[26]

For the 2024 Games, the number of places allocated to each continent is:

Europe – 4 (includes host France)
Asia – 3 or 4
Africa – 3 or 4
South America – 2
North America – 2
Oceania – 1