Quote from: jimmy jazz on Jun 08, 2024, 01:17 AMBlur are a very obvious London band. You can hear it in Albarn's vocals.

Not if you're Irish you can't!  :laughing:  :laughing:
Quote from: jimmy jazz on Jun 08, 2024, 01:29 AMLauryn Hill is also horrendously overrated. Her album is average with a couple of above average tunes.
Dusty Hill is not though.

[/quote]

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Jun 08, 2024, 01:29 AMLauryn Hill is also horrendously overrated. Her album is average with a couple of above average tunes.

Did you ever hear her MTV Unplugged?  :laughing:

Quote from: SGR on Jun 08, 2024, 01:52 AMDid you ever hear her MTV Unplugged?  :laughing:

No but I've got her album on CD. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill.

What triggered this post was that recent Apple 100 greatest albums list.

This album was number 1.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Jun 08, 2024, 02:30 AMThis album was number 1.

What, like...of all time?!?  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:

The Miseducation of Apple?  :laughing:  :laughing:

Quote from: SGR on Jun 08, 2024, 02:36 AMWhat, like...of all time?!?  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:

Yep.

I swear it grows in reputation every year, it's getting silly now.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/apple-music-ap-kendrick-lamar-michael-jackson-lauryn-hill-b2549474.html

Same goes for her rap skills. Greatest female rapper of all time? Don't take the piss.

Only God knows.

Damn, this thread exploded. We sure are a salty bunch.
I'd like to add Michael Jackson. He had a cool sound at times and he's obviously very influential but apart from some of the hits, which are awesome, the music's pretty lame. The albums are weak and, as usual for me with pop artists, the ballads just suck so fucking much.

Quote from: grindy on Jun 08, 2024, 09:08 AMDamn, this thread exploded. We sure are a salty bunch.
I'd like to add Michael Jackson. He had a cool sound at times and he's obviously very influential but apart from some of the hits, which are awesome, the music's pretty lame. The albums are weak and, as usual for me with pop artists, the ballads just suck so fucking much.

Very good shout.

He's definitely up there.

Only God knows.

REM - easier to respect their music than enjoy it

Tom Petty - lost interest after the third album; formulaic crap

Wilco - bland, pointless

Quote from: grindy on Jun 08, 2024, 09:08 AMDamn, this thread exploded. We sure are a salty bunch.

I'd say so as well, though I do love Off the Wall, I think that's a consistently top notch pop album with only one weak track (the big ballad of course lol). Thriller to an extent too, though the big hits are overplayed enough to have lost their luster for me.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Most people may not rate them, never mind overrate them, but I'd like to dip a stick in dogshit and poke these guys with it for a while.

Now you know me: I do love my AOR/Melodic Rock/Hair Metal/Whatever you're having yourself - give me a few banks of parping keyboards, squealing guitar solos, singalong choruses and I'm anyone's. Not that anyone would have me, but however. I love this kind of music, and I loved that song, so much so that I got the album, which was, by and large, a big mistake.

After somehow keeping themselves in the music business for 45 years, and selling - oh God! I just can't be bothered! Whoever wrote their Wiki entry doesn't give sales figures, and I'm damned if I'm going to tot them all up, but millions anyway - millions of albums, they've never had another chart hit, and have essentially dined out on the success of that one song for over three decades.

That's all well and good, but Europe are, from what I've heard of them, a lazy, lazy band. They write boring, formulaic, standard rock songs with deep lyrics like "Keep on rockin', rock me all night" and "I love my baby" or variants thereof. They are, quite frankly, the worst AOR band I have ever heard, and I've given them a chance. 2012's Bag of Bones was a pleasant surprise, but everything else I've heard - including "The Final fucking Countdown" - could have been written by any teenage garage band. How they've survived this long is beyond me, but then, I suppose the rest of you would say the same about Bon Jovi, Journey or insert AOR band here. Still, compared to any of their contemporaries I find them very much wanting and very inferior, almost like hanging on to the coat-tails of the more successful bands in their field, and so, like the most rabid Leave-campaigner at the height of Brexit, I think I can say I hate Europe.

The band, not the continent.

Quote from: Drjohnrock on Jun 08, 2024, 05:18 PMREM - easier to respect their music than enjoy it

Hard, hard disagree. They've got one of the best discographies I've had the pleasure of stumbling upon.

I think..

Weezer
I don't think they're exactly bad, but I don't think they've put anything interesting on a record since Pinkerton and I've no idea why their recent cover of Africa blew up. Their inoffensiveness combined with Buddy Holly being catchy seems to have worked out really well, but musically they seem like relative simpletons.

King Crimson
Their debut is hailed as the first prog rock album and universally loved and later on they seem to have become a band that you'd get if only you're smart enough. For myself, I like some of their songs, but I recently tried to watch a concert from their Belew days and I realized I just don't enjoy their music all that much. It is experimental and kudos to them for finding a unique sound a few times in their career, but it's never been that enjoyable. They seem to encompass some of the worst traits of prog rock. A good analogy is Fripp's later robotic approach to guitar playing. It's kinda unique, but also sounding like sterile shit.

Bruford is better with Yes. Belew is better with Frank Zappa. Levin was better with Peter Gabriel. John Wetton has an awful singing voice and the good parts of Red (my favourite KC album) are the instrumental parts when you don't hear him. Fripp was better in Giles, Giles & Fripp.

Lady Gaga
Considering her enormous success, it should be okay to say every other artist she duets with puts her vocal delivery to shame and she's no jazz singer (thinking of that big band album she did with Tony Bennett and later forays into the genre).

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Jul 11, 2024, 07:56 AMLady Gaga
Considering her enormous success, it should be okay to say every other artist she duets with puts her vocal delivery to shame and she's no jazz singer (thinking of that big band album she did with Tony Bennett and later forays into the genre).

It's funny you mention that, it was only a year or two ago I found out that Lady Gaga had done two duet albums with Tony Bennett. I found that out and I basically had this reaction  :laughing: :

Here's a sample for the morbidly curious:

I will refrain from my assessment of Lady Gaga as 'overrated'. I simply haven't listened to enough of her music to say. What I will say is that I believe she is talented.

Bob Dylan
I don't hate him, but I've never understood why he gets so much love. After seeing him live last week, I really don't understand why he gets so much love

Throw your dog the invisible bone.