May 25, 2024, 09:43 AM Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 01:21 AM by Guybrush
CONTENT WARNING! Things might get offensive in here.

Hey, Guest!

I thought it might be fun to have a thread dedicated to music that is morally wrong. Perhaps it was okay once upon a time, but got morally outdated, or perhaps its been awful since conception.

Although I find it most interesting where music wasn't obviously made for trolly shock value and is less overt, I plan to welcome all contributions.

To kick it off, I feel like this has been sketchy for a long time now.

Happiness is a warm manatee

There's "Blind Date" by John Duncan which is apparently a field recording of him having sex with a corpse.
Did I win this thread?

Great idea for a thread, Guybrush!
I didn't know that Dr.Hook song, and although it's creepy to see two oldish guys singing so wistfully about a 16-year-old, it turns out to be not so bad when you hear the guy singing:

"... I was a mere child of 16...
She was too young to fall in love, and I  was too young to know."

Here's another song exploring young love by the famously squeeky-clean Osmonds:-

By coincidence, just last night, a friend of mine mentioned this song, which has more paedo/predator vibes:

Not mentioned in our conversation was grindy's contribution :yikes:

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on May 25, 2024, 03:09 PMGreat idea for a thread, Guybrush!
I didn't know that Dr.Hook song, and although it's creepy to see two oldish guys singing so wistfully about a 16-year-old, it turns out to be not so bad when you hear the guy singing:

"... I was a mere child of 16...
She was too young to fall in love, and I  was too young to know."

Yes, it's not as bad as it sounds, but the optics aren't good (grown men singing wistfully about children 😅). There are definitely much worse offenders out there.

Quote from: grindy on May 25, 2024, 10:39 AMThere's "Blind Date" by John Duncan which is apparently a field recording of him having sex with a corpse.
Did I win this thread?

I guess it depends on one's view of necrophilia and whether or not this is really what's recorded 😄

But I will subtract points in that it's intentional shock value.

Thanks for sharing 💀

Quote from: Lisnaholic on May 25, 2024, 03:09 PMBy coincidence, just last night, a friend of mine mentioned this song, which has more paedo/predator vibes:

That's the song I was also thinking of when I saw this thread but the Muddy Waters version, not the Ten Years After version.

Muddy Waters - Good Morning Little School Girl

As far as outdated goes, the robot masks in this video come to mind. Doesn't seem like it was meant to offend but... yeah.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I love Carol King, but whatever the intention was behind these lyrics, they didn't turn out very well.

Edit:

Ahh, Carol did the music. Lyrics by Gerry Goffin..

Gerry!!

Bloodhound Gang - "A Lapdance is so Much Better When the Stripper is Crying."

Chorus - "I find it such a thrill, when she grinds me against her will, a lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying."

(I'm like this all the time.)

Quote from: Guybrush on May 25, 2024, 04:01 PMYes, it's not as bad as it sounds, but the optics aren't good (grown men singing wistfully about children 😅). There are definitely much worse offenders out there.

I guess it depends on one's view of necrophilia and whether or not this is really what's recorded 😄

But I will subtract points in that it's intentional shock value.

Thanks for sharing 💀

Oops, I missed the shock value clause.

Hmm, when a thread is started about morally objectionable music and the OP names me in the initial post, it makes me raise an eyebrow...

But I'll play along.  Speaking of raised eyebrows, the following tune, which was actually a hit in the early 70s certainly raised a few.  Discussing the song's subject matter might not be morally objectionable, but practicing it certainly is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXn0uIF60iU

^ When Guybrush types in "square bracket-y-o-u-square bracket", then your name appears when you read it, and my name appears when I read it, Drjohn.
You will only see what he did if you go to his post, click "quote" and you'll see his original text. Yeah, It really caught me out first time too !  

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on May 26, 2024, 12:22 AM^ When Guybrush types in "square bracket-y-o-u-square bracket", then your name appears when you read it, and my name appears when I read it, Drjohn.
You will only see what he did if you go to his post, click "quote" and you'll see his original text. Yeah, It really caught me out first time too !   

Thanks for letting me know.  Interesting--you can make it look like you're personalizing a post for every member.

Yes, @Drjohnrock 🙂 Lisna is right. It's just a forum trick.

But I liked that song about cannibalism! Thanks for sharing.

I watched this a while ago. Well intentioned, I think, but not sure about the accent and the video seems a little heavy on the stereotypes.

#13 May 31, 2024, 02:41 AM Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 02:50 AM by Trollheart
Damn right! If Genesis could still be one thing, it was objectionable and racist. I hate that song. I suppose in general these are going to fall into certain broad categories, one of which, which may have seemed okay at the time but you'd have to say is not now, is songs about teenagers/kids. Such as Nick Gilder's "Hot Child in the City"

The Eagles (huh? Yeah) sort of paean to prostitution

and the mighty Motorhead!
(Come on! What can you say about a song titled "Jailbait" now seriously?)

Incidentally, though I'm no fan of his, I would defend Osmond's "Puppy Love" against the charge of being inappropriate. Puppy love is what they call your first crush, and while sure, that might involve sex it does not have to. You could sigh and swoon (yeah, you girls are worse, believe me!) over someone but never have any real intimate contact, and (I know the song well; my elder sister used to play the damn thing all the time when I was a kid) I really don't think our Donny mentions sex in the lyric - is it written by him? Checks: nope. Paul Anka, who also wrote "Having My Baby", in which he explored the option of abortion - so it could be just a cuddling, smoochy kind of love. Unless it's actually about sex with a puppy, in which case, yeah, real inappropriate, Mr. A! :laughing:

Jailbait! I just can't wait!!

That is funny 😄 Hold your horses there, Lemmy.

Hot child in the city is the stupidest song title I've heard in a while. Thanks for sharing, @Trollheart!