Welp, here I am back in the journals with another thread I'll probably forget to update.  This time I wanna showcase some of my favorite more obscure album choices, starting with a stellar one from an old friend.

Virginia Aveline - Thee Enthronement to Thee Sacred Heart and Thee Immaculate Heart of Sister Mary and Her Seven Dead Swans (2019)

Genre: Ambient, Neo-Psychedelia

I return to this album again and again for a number of reasons.  Need clarity in my life, relaxation, contemplation, and sometimes just sleep.  The album does it all, and while at first few listens it may not seem like much, as it goes by like a breeze, that's half the appeal.  Virginia evokes a number of different emotions in the short runtime of this album: namely joy, fear, sadness, anger, among others.  All with the mystic quality of several known and unknown instrumentation do they accomplish this... some tracks are clearly made with home organ or field recordings, while others are more shrouded in their creation such as the epic final track, I Love You! Pt II.  This track sounds like angels coming to Earth to weep over the transgressions we face as a species.  Other tracks sound angelic as well, and a main theme to my friendship with Virginia back in the day was the magical nature of this life we live in, as well as the existence of a God, angels, heaven, and hell. Listen for yourself, you may find answers to the universe in the music as it unravels.

"I own the mail" or whatever Elph said

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!

I am a fan of the music tunes and am looking forward to this.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

And now for an album you might be familiar with.  This I found out about in 2018 and have been listening to religiously since.

Jun Konagaya - Travel (2014)

Genre: Post-Industrial, Neoclassical Darkwave

This album is just as entrancing as the one I posted first in this journal, shrouded in mystery and is quite obscure on it's own regard, though some more attention has been brought to it by rateyourmusic and it's only gotten more popular and the mystery more in vogue.  It's important to note that while the genres may lead one to think of it as a crushing relentless piece of time art, it's actually quite ambient and ethereal in nature, while also having some of the characteristics of more industrial pieces.  I've found it odd and somewhat cool that one track in particular, Pilgrim, can only be heard on particular speakers in full because of what I assume to be the unique mixing, but when you find speakers that it works on it's one of the most memorable pieces of music I've heard so far!  It contains what seems to be some kind of work song with this magical melody overlaying it, just incredible.  Other songs include more medieval sounding piano work, drones, noise, what I can describe as viking war drums, and plenty of other soundscapes to please the ear.

Here's a choice cut from said album

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!

Now for a change of pace from the ambience to a real rocker of an album...

The Immortal Lee County Killers - The Essential Fucked Up Blues (2001)

Genre: Punk Blues, Garage Punk

Legend has it (and this album fully illustrates) that Chet Weise used enough power as a guitarist, and a bass amp, enough to negate the need for a bassist altogether.  The White Stripes formula coming to its absolute thesis and conclusion, The Essential Fucked Up Blues is a raging energy that cannot be matched by mere mortal rock and rollers.  Come to these tracks to look for blues ballads, or punk spirit, you'll find it all here.  Been listening to this since I found it around junior/senior year of high school and been rocking with it ever since just as much as the day I found it.  A choice cut on this album that I'd recommend ya is the stellar version of Catfish Blues that appears therein: linked below.

nice recommendations - so far all new to me - fell asleep sinking into Jun Konagaya Travel last night - was fully digging it

Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Jan 27, 2023, 11:16 AMnice recommendations - so far all new to me - fell asleep sinking into Jun Konagaya Travel last night - was fully digging it

Truly a relaxing listen for an industrial album

I'm really digging that Jun Konagaya track!

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: tristan_geoff on Jan 26, 2023, 05:24 AMAnd now for an album you might be familiar with.  This I found out about in 2018 and have been listening to religiously since.

Jun Konagaya - Travel (2014)

Genre: Post-Industrial, Neoclassical Darkwave

This album is just as entrancing as the one I posted first in this journal, shrouded in mystery and is quite obscure on it's own regard, though some more attention has been brought to it by rateyourmusic and it's only gotten more popular and the mystery more in vogue.  It's important to note that while the genres may lead one to think of it as a crushing relentless piece of time art, it's actually quite ambient and ethereal in nature, while also having some of the characteristics of more industrial pieces.  I've found it odd and somewhat cool that one track in particular, Pilgrim, can only be heard on particular speakers in full because of what I assume to be the unique mixing, but when you find speakers that it works on it's one of the most memorable pieces of music I've heard so far!  It contains what seems to be some kind of work song with this magical melody overlaying it, just incredible.  Other songs include more medieval sounding piano work, drones, noise, what I can describe as viking war drums, and plenty of other soundscapes to please the ear.

Here's a choice cut from said album

I just listened to this and liked it immediately.  Will be seeking the entire album next for sure.  Thanks so much for the rec!

A recent find, my friend Samme owns Panther Lake where I'm putting on my festival this year, and this album was my favorite of the two demos I heard that were released by his band from the 90's.  As the vocalist, he is truly remarkable letting out inhuman screams and gruff shouts that work extremely well on their first release, but going into the second demo it takes a whole new contextual place.

Regurgistate - Fateful Pranks by a Giant Catfish

Genre: Crust Punk, Art Punk, (Doom Metal?)

I think even on recent findings of this album that I will be listening to it regularly.  It's just so intricate in it's mixture of punk and metal genres with some truly weird stuff, such as the track "Pulse in the Dirt" which is the longest of the album at almost 10 minutes.  I heard this and was in talks of re-releasing some of Regurgistate's stuff already with Samme, so when I heard this I got right to it and made a mockup cassette tape and put it up for sale on bandcamp, the first release of the album was in 1999.  Check it out for yourself from my label's site or the youtube link

<iframe style="border: 0; width: 100%; height: 120px;" src="https://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/album=1069471268/size=large/bgcol=ffffff/linkcol=0687f5/tracklist=false/artwork=small/transparent=true/" seamless>[url="https://walkinclosetrecords.bandcamp.com/album/fateful-pranks-by-a-giant-catfish"]Fateful Pranks by a Giant Catfish by Regurgistate</iframe>[/url]

Can we embed bandcamp links on here?

anyways here's the vid

Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Jan 31, 2023, 10:49 AMtell us more about the festival

Well, I've been trying to throw a festival at this lake for years now, but when the pandemic came I cancelled the original plans and last year put everything together to throw the festival in March.  Samme is a good friend of mine, I've been playing shows at Panther Lake for the past 4 years.  I wanted to showcase the talent of some individuals close in proximity to me, good friends, and people I really enjoy altogether so I'm super excited for this festival to take place!

that is an awesome thing to do

especially if people can camp and take and can poop somewhere - if it's more than one day

what's the process of legally using the land

way back in the 90's i went to some underground shows that lasted all day and night out in the desert and they were wild

honestly sometimes they got kind of scary but it was fun

Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 01, 2023, 07:51 AMthat is an awesome thing to do

especially if people can camp and take and can poop somewhere - if it's more than one day

what's the process of legally using the land

way back in the 90's i went to some underground shows that lasted all day and night out in the desert and they were wild

honestly sometimes they got kind of scary but it was fun

It's kind of an underground kinda place this lake, the owner is cool with shows happening there and yes there is a place to use the bathroom there

QuoteVirginia Aveline - Thee Enthronement to Thee Sacred Heart and Thee Immaculate Heart of Sister Mary and Her Seven Dead Swans (2019)

just listened for the first time - fantastic rec - ty - keep going

A glimpse into the past, one of the earliest songs I remember hearing is on this album bc it was in a video game I played as a kid.  It still bops to this day, and when I first heard the album in full I just had to buy it on CD when I was in high school.

Trust Company - The Lonely Position of Neutral (2002)

Genre: Post-Grunge/Nu Metal

Don't let the genres fool you, this release is one of the best of it's kind, up there with Ten Years, Alter Bridge, Static-X just the best of the best of a genre that gets stale at times.  The songs are really rockin, emotionally driven, and have lyrics that break the clichés of the scene with some grit and introspection.  But what gets me other than the singer's voice is the instrumentals, so let's talk about that.  The guitar tones on this thing are really wavy, alive, and the clean tones especially on songs like Hover are just breathtakingly pretty.  The distorted tones remind one of something like Deftones on White Pony or even Starflyer 59's heavier moments.  Anyways, I'm sure you're just dying to hear a song by now, but I'll leave off with saying that Hover has to be one of the best rock songs of all time!!!