Quote from: Trollheart on Apr 13, 2024, 09:27 PMHell, you could say that about a lot of movies! But to compare Brazil to this Braindead seems to me to be disingenuous, as from what I read, the latter is a "comedy zombie splatter movie" and the former is a whip-smart science fiction dark comedy comment on the likes of Nineteen Eighty-Four and Kafka. I don't see the connection. Just because it has good effects doesn't make it like the other film. Your logic escapes me.

Why are so you intent on deterring someone watching Brazil is my question?  ???

I was this cool the whole time.

A24 finally let me down.

This movie had a great premise but they did nothing with it. I knew going into it based off of an interview with Kirsten Durst that they weren't going to be political which I wasn't looking for but they didn't go into any lore whatsoever. They kept everything superficial. Everything that happened was so surface level just going through the motions then it ends. I felt like they ran out of money in the budget at the end and the director just yelled shut the camera off. Budget is too bloated. There was a point at the end where they could have at least wrapped it up emotionally and they did nothing.

:2stars:

Giving it 2 stars purely for Jesse Plemons acting ability and his scene alone.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Apr 15, 2024, 11:31 PMWhy are so you intent on deterring someone watching Brazil is my question?  ???

Of course I'm not. It's a brilliant movie. But in my view, you're advancing it to be something it's not. If the guy you're recommending it to enjoys zombie slasher flicks, why then would be expect to enjoy Brazil? They're literally nothing alike. Nothing. From what I read of Braindead. If you had said, for instance, if you like Nineteen Eighty-Four check out Brazil, or maybe if you like ... you know, it's actually hard to come up with movies like Brazil. But I would definitely not place something like Braindead on its level.

Quote from: Trollheart on Apr 16, 2024, 06:42 PMOf course I'm not. It's a brilliant movie. But in my view, you're advancing it to be something it's not. If the guy you're recommending it to enjoys zombie slasher flicks, why then would be expect to enjoy Brazil? They're literally nothing alike. Nothing. From what I read of Braindead. If you had said, for instance, if you like Nineteen Eighty-Four check out Brazil, or maybe if you like ... you know, it's actually hard to come up with movies like Brazil. But I would definitely not place something like Braindead on its level.

As far as zombie movies go, there's none better than Braindead so it's up there. Both movies are in my top ten, so similarities are:

• Both are darkly humorous
  • Both feature male protagonists that are generally perceived as weak
  • Both feature a love story of sorts with the movie's other events getting in the way
  • Both are movies by renowned directors with an uncompromising vision

But yes, they are also rather different, so I wouldn't assume someone who likes Braindead would enjoy Brazil or vice versa. But they are both brilliant 🙂

For Brazil, one should watch the Director's cut and - in any case - avoid the 94 minutes theatrical cut like the plague as that version is not a good movie.

For Braindead, Peter Jackson said some years ago they were going to restore it to 4k resolution. We're still waiting, Peter!

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Trollheart on Apr 16, 2024, 06:42 PMOf course I'm not. It's a brilliant movie. But in my view, you're advancing it to be something it's not. If the guy you're recommending it to enjoys zombie slasher flicks, why then would be expect to enjoy Brazil? They're literally nothing alike. Nothing. From what I read of Braindead. If you had said, for instance, if you like Nineteen Eighty-Four check out Brazil, or maybe if you like ... you know, it's actually hard to come up with movies like Brazil. But I would definitely not place something like Braindead on its level.

I don't think it's misleading at all. I watched Naked Lunch, Brazil and Braindead all back to back and enjoyed them all the same. Maybe it's just me that I grouped them up together as a certain type of off beat movies but all three of them are similar with how weird they can be.

Faur enough in both cases. I'm not against anyone watching Brazil. If you link them, that's fine; I just don't think they're natural cousins. To me, it would be perhaps like maybe someone saying if you like Legend you'll like Pan's Labyrinth, or something. There may be similarities, but I would not equate the two movies.

Whichever, if it gets someone to watch, and like, Brazil, then go for it. And I agree with Tore that the DC of the movie is beyond terrible: stick with the original.

Incidentally, not that the two are like each other, but I presume you've seen Gilliam's other two cult classics, Time Bandits and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen?

I'm repeating myself, but Gilliam's best movie for me might be The Fisher King. It is brilliant ❤️

Quote from: Trollheart on Apr 17, 2024, 12:32 AMFaur enough in both cases. I'm not against anyone watching Brazil. If you link them, that's fine; I just don't think they're natural cousins. To me, it would be perhaps like maybe someone saying if you like Legend you'll like Pan's Labyrinth, or something. There may be similarities, but I would not equate the two movies.

Whichever, if it gets someone to watch, and like, Brazil, then go for it. And I agree with Tore that the DC of the movie is beyond terrible: stick with the original.

Incidentally, not that the two are like each other, but I presume you've seen Gilliam's other two cult classics, Time Bandits and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen?

I have yet to check out those two films but I will keep an eye out for them.

I've remarked before about the overwhelming flood of pop culture cinema I've never beheld, (Star Wars, LotR, Avatar and most movies made after 1996), but I'm intrigued by this discussion of Terry Gilliam's filmography. I believe I saw 12 Monkeys when it came out, and I've incorporated it into my expansive library of films inspired by the writings of Philip K Dick.

As such, I'm curious to explore Time Bandits (1981), Brazil (1985), The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988), The Fisher King (1991) and possibly Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998).

Wiki notes that Brazil has been called Kafkaesque as well as absurdist. I'm also interested in any films with a strong existentialist theme, so these may be worth tracking down.

I can only handle about one movie a month at most, but I'll bookmark these to pursue. Thanks!

(I'm like this all the time.)

I really think you'd enjoy Brazil, ISB. Has everything you mention - the idea of an oppressive and completely inefficient and bungling state, absurd humour, Kafka and Orwell tropes, great characters and a totally unexpected ending. Time Bandits, I don't know. It's a favourite of mine, but almost in a way more a kids' fantasy movie (though it has its dark parts too), while Munchausen would be, for me, the weakest of the three. Still good though. It is interesting how one director can be involved in three (and more) such different movies. If you need me to hook you up, just shout.

Quote from: Trollheart on Apr 17, 2024, 12:32 AMAnd I agree with Tore that the DC of the movie is beyond terrible: stick with the original.

What? But this is the opposite of what I wrote. The theatrical 94 minutes version is a frantic mess! 😄

Quote from: Guybrush on Apr 17, 2024, 07:02 PMWhat? But this is the opposite of what I wrote. The theatrical 94 minutes version is a frantic mess! 😄
Ah.

Sorry, sorry: so much time and so little to do...

Mad God (2021)

Holy shit, I was nor prepared for this. I don't think one can be prepared for this.
Really glad I went into it blind without seeing any trailers.
An absolutely mind-blowing extravaganza of psychedelic, fucked up, nightmarish stop motion animation and practical effects.
It's certainly flawed, a bit too long, too repetitive, not every scene works and some of it is just too gory and/or disgusting for me.
But I'm really glad I saw this, it's been many years since I saw such a mindfuck.

Yes, I liked Mad God too 🙂 and felt much the same way. It's flawed in places, but still some great imagery and ideas. I always appreciate unique experiences.

We covered it in our little film club.

https://scd.community/index.php?topic=166.0

I took in Neil Breen's Fateful Findings yesterday. Perhaps an exceptional specimen of outsider art or just the Citizen Kane of bad movies, right up there with Manos: The Hands of Fate.

I discovered Breen through Red Letter Media's Best of the Worst series on YouTube. Evidently, all of Breen's movies are identical - he always stars as the world's greatest hacker, who, (in his own words), "has hacked all of the secrets of government and corporate secrets." There is usually a supernatural element to the plot which is inevitably never explained.

Here's the climactic ending scene of the film.

(I'm like this all the time.)