Appointment with Crime (1945)

A British crime thriller about a low-level member of a criminal gang who gets talked into committing a daytime smash-and-grab by the two leaders of the gang who accompany him on the heist. He ends up getting caught in the act while his two accomplices flee the scene and leave him behind. He keeps his mouth shut, goes to prison, does his time and gets out seeking revenge against the two ringleaders for running out on him.

:3.5stars:

Submarine Base (1943)

WWII era B movie thriller about a small clandestine submarine base in South America set up to service German U-boats and run by an American mercenary along with his British sidekick. The plot starts out seeming somewhat plausible but quickly becomes ridiculous and unbelievable as the story unfolds. Still rather amusing for the most part.

:2.5stars: 

i just finished Blonde - i love oates but haven't liked the novel much - still not finished - and apart from a couple scenes i thought it was boring- liked the bad look they gave jfk - sick of the romanticizing of him - he was nasty

great film score though

Me and the fiance watched a classic terrible movie last night, Dana Carvey's career-killing magnum opus of cringe, The Master of Disguise (2002). Hadn't seen this since I saw it in theaters as a young teenager.

There's a kind of delightful innocence to this movie's dumbness that is charming for fans of bottom-of-the-barrel schlock such as my partner and myself. The villain's running gag is so immensely moronic, like something I would have written if I was in fourth grade at the absolute oldest, but I can't bring myself to hate it. If I was only allowed to watch clever, witty, sophisticated humor for the rest of my comedy-viewing life, I'd go insane.

Appallingly bad film, -10/10.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Time Table (1956)

A "thrill-o-minute" noir/crime thriller about a meticulously planned robbery which seems to have been pulled off without any clues but begins to unravel when one mistake leads to another and the mastermind of the heist starts to get increasingly nervous about getting caught.

:4stars:

#65 Feb 09, 2023, 02:05 PM Last Edit: Feb 09, 2023, 02:07 PM by Guybrush
@Psy-Fi maybe you should consider applying ror the vacant position of Curator of Movies? :)

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Feb 07, 2023, 07:02 PMMe and the fiance watched a classic terrible movie last night, Dana Carvey's career-killing magnum opus of cringe, The Master of Disguise (2002). Hadn't seen this since I saw it in theaters as a young teenager.

There's a kind of delightful innocence to this movie's dumbness that is charming for fans of bottom-of-the-barrel schlock such as my partner and myself. The villain's running gag is so immensely moronic, like something I would have written if I was in fourth grade at the absolute oldest, but I can't bring myself to hate it. If I was only allowed to watch clever, witty, sophisticated humor for the rest of my comedy-viewing life, I'd go insane.

Appallingly bad film, -10/10.

This sounds like it might be fun. I'll see if I can find it :)

I of course saw Heavenly Creatures, but that has its own thread. I also watched Wind River with Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen. It's a crime thriller about a nasty murder in an indian reservation in Wyoming, I believe. No, it's not an Avengers movie. It was fairly straightforward with some formulaic characters (esp. Renner's scarred hero) and not something I'm likely to watch again, but still very enjoyable and probably worth your time.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Feb 08, 2023, 12:12 PM

Time Table (1956)

A "thrill-o-minute" noir/crime thriller about a meticulously planned robbery which seems to have been pulled off without any clues but begins to unravel when one mistake leads to another and the mastermind of the heist starts to get increasingly nervous about getting caught.

What's going on with those guys in the lower left? Ineffective strangulation? Tie adjustment? Awkward sex act? I'm intrigued.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

There's a lot of that "neck tie adjustment" going on in those old noir movie posters.  8)

#68 Feb 11, 2023, 05:23 PM Last Edit: Feb 12, 2023, 04:36 PM by Psy-Fi Reason: Added a pile of poop.
"I don't want any more pills, I'm tired of being happy"...

The Wild World of Batwoman (1966)

This one is an awful combination of superhero movie and those teen beach/bikini/comedy flicks that were popular in the 60's. A Woman who looks to be in her late 30's to early 40's and lives in a suburban California home, heads a crime-fighting group of women in their early 20's. Some obvious copyright infringement against DC comics and the Batman TV show which was popular at the time this film was made and there's even a bit of stolen footage from 'The Mole People' from 1956, which shows up part way into this gawd-awful low-budget stinker. Not even a nightclub performance by a mediocre jazz combo and a beach concert by an equally mediocre rock group can keep This one afloat. It isn't so bad it's good, it's just plain putrid.  :poop:

:1.5stars:

Moonlight.

I tend to enjoy the A24 films and this was no exception.

Terror in the Midnight Sun (1959)

A low-budget Swedish sci-fi flick about a meteorite which lands in the Swiss Alps. A group of scientists go to investigate the site where the meteorite came down and discover a herd of dead, mutilated reindeer and some very large animal tracks of an unknown species, leading away from the area of the carnage. When they get to the crash site of the meteorite, they realize that it wasn't a meteorite that crashed but some type of flying craft, which is undamaged and of unknown origin. Could there be a link between the mysterious flying object, the mutilated dead reindeer, and the mysterious animal tracks? 

Somewhat entertaining as far as low-budget sci-fi flicks go and even has some fairly good special effects for a low-budget movie of this genre.

:2stars:

Oh weird, a swedish flick. Of course they have had somewhat of a film industry for a long time with Bergman's movies being famous.

I've had Shame on my to-do list for years.

The Day the Earth Froze (1959)

I watched the American release of this one under the title 'The Day the Earth Froze.' It was originally released under the title 'Sampo.' Apparently, the American release was edited, so I didn't get to see some of the scenes from the original release. The American poster gives the impression that this is a sci-fi flick but it's actually a medieval sorcery/fantasy film.

From the IMDB website...

QuoteBased on Finnish mythology, this movie traces the exploits of Lemminkäinen as he woos the fair Annikki and battles the evil witch Louhi. Louhi kidnaps Annikki to compel her brother to build for her a Sampo, a magical device that creates salt, grain, and gold. When Lemminkäinen tries (and fails) to recover the Sampo, Louhi steals the sun, plunging the world into frozen darkness.

I rarely watch anything in this type of genre but I have to say that I found this one to be rather entertaining. It seemed to have a fairly good budget, the props and effects were quite good and the acting was reasonably good overall. 

:3stars:

The Lost Missile (1958)

Low-budget sci-fi flick about an unidentified missile, suspected to be of extraterrestrial origin, flying in an orbit around the earth five miles up and blazing a trail of devastation with the unbelievable heat generated by its engines exhaust. The film is heavily padded with a lot of stock footage filler of civil defense exercises, military equipment & military exercises, and street scenes of pedestrians & traffic to the detriment of the movie overall.

:2stars: 

Haha, the way they made those old posters / covers was great, though. So sensationalist and exciting and often not at all like the actual movie.