It's not uncommon, at least from what I've seen, that men stay behind and women migrate with the children to elsewhere. This is part why my wife and sister were involved with a group for immigrant women. Sometimes, or often, the men will come later. It might take a while and we know some who didn't particularly look forward being reunited with their men as it would also mean getting reunited with someone who's going to try and take away some of those freedoms they've come to enjoy.

It's a very difficult situation for sure.

When it comes to women's rights in general, I do fear that in a post-factual society where algorithms create digital realities for us, conspiracy theory, religion and more extreme political leanings could continue to thrive. It's a bad situation that I think needs regulation. For example, algorithms that pick out individualized content should be required to work for the betterment of people and society - like if someone watches a lot of eating disorder or suicide related content, the algorithms should try and serve them content that might help them get better. And above all prioritize fact over harmful fiction.

If it's impossible, then I think we'd be better off without algorithms serving us individualized content, so maybe it should just be outlawed then and we can go back to living our digital lives in a shared reality.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Jun 05, 2024, 01:36 PM'A sense of betrayal': liberal dismay as Muslim-led US city bans Pride flags

Reminds me of that American guy who came to London and thought those Muslim girls would take his side in an argument against a guy saying men are men and women are women and they turned on him. They just don't get it :laughing:

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Jun 06, 2024, 03:27 PMReminds me of that American guy who came to London and thought those Muslim girls would take his side in an argument against a guy saying men are men and women are women and they turned on him. They just don't get it :laughing:

I mean to be fair I've encountered at least the same amount of vocal transphobia from Christians as I have from Muslims. I also know a Muslim woman IRL (friend of a friend) who is very trans supportive. So I don't think it's very fair to assume people's social/cultural beliefs either way.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Lexi Darling on Jun 06, 2024, 04:31 PMI mean to be fair I've encountered at least the same amount of vocal transphobia from Christians as I have from Muslims. I also know a Muslim woman IRL (friend of a friend) who is very trans supportive. So I don't think it's very fair to assume people's social/cultural beliefs either way.

I've known a few who drink alcohol.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Jun 06, 2024, 05:06 PMI've known a few who drink alcohol.

I admit I don't know much about the teachings of Islam on any deep level, but I'd give an educated guess that the Quran, like the Bible, doesn't specifically mention trans people. Obviously drinking alcohol is pretty explicitly disallowed.

At any rate I agree with your sentiment insofar as assuming that anyone is going to be an ally is fallacious, but I think the reverse is true too, that we shouldn't assume by default that certain people are not allies.

On a side note (not knocking on you JJ), I kinda don't like how "a man is a man and a woman is a woman" seems to be used as a transphobic statement by some people. Trans men are men, and trans women are women, so that statement can be read as trans inclusive. Kind of a muddy message to send.

To be clear I have no issue with the trans community 🏳��⚧️

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Jun 06, 2024, 06:17 PMTo be clear I have no issue with the trans community 🏳��⚧️

I didn't mean to imply that I thought you did. You're lovely and a great friend. <3