Thought I'd start a thread for American political stories which relate to state and local politics. Not necessarily stories which relate to U.S. Presidential elections.

Speaking of mayors, here's a doozy...

Town's First Woman Mayor Becomes Warlord & Holds Town Hostage

AOC snaps at NYC protesters at movie theater demanding she call Israel's military campaign in Gaza "genocide"

QuoteThe whole point of protesting is to make [people] uncomfortable. Activists take that discomfort w/ the status quo & advocate for concrete policy changes. Popular support often starts small & grows. To folks who complain protest demands make others uncomfortable ... that's the point.

- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Here's another doozy of a Mayor...

Oakland Business Owners THREATEN TO STOP PAYING TAXES IN REVOLT AGAINST WOKE Mayor FACING RECALL!

NYC is Finished... My Honest Thoughts

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Mar 20, 2024, 05:17 PM

NYC is Finished... My Honest Thoughts

This was pretty spot on except for the bail reform section. When violent crimes are committed they are stuck in jail with no bail. It only applies to smaller non violent offenses that people will get appearance tickets. So people that shoplift and get caught. They get released on an appearance ticket.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Apr 09, 2024, 11:14 PMThis was pretty spot on except for the bail reform section. When violent crimes are committed they are stuck in jail with no bail. It only applies to smaller non violent offenses that people will get appearance tickets. So people that shoplift and get caught. They get released on an appearance ticket.

That's how I've always understood it but have they changed it to include some more serious charges that wouldn't have been eligible in the past?

Not the most serious ones like rape, attempted murder, or murder, but something like assault for example?

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Apr 10, 2024, 02:28 PMThat's how I've always understood it but have they changed it to include some more serious charges that wouldn't have been eligible in the past?

Not the most serious ones like rape, attempted murder, or murder, but something like assault for example?

I would have to look it up but this change went into effect five years ago in 2019.

I don't believe there has been any changes to it.

I was this cool the whole time.

Today, there's only one story at US State level that is big enough to make it across the ocean and turn up on the BBC :-

Arizona Supreme Court reinstated a law from 1864 that bans nearly all abortions in the state:
  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68781816

In a country where 61% of people think abortion should be legally available, how did Arizona end up with a Supreme Court making decisions so at odds with what people want? Here's one reason:

In 2016, Republican governor Doug Ducey expanded the Arizona Supreme Court "from five to seven justices. This expansion was criticized at the time by some as court packing."
 https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/10/us/arizona-abortion-supreme-court-judges.html

To get lost is to learn the way.

Is it too late to save San Francisco from the "Doom Loop?"

^ That's an interesting insight into American life !

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Apr 24, 2024, 04:07 PM

Is it too late to save San Francisco from the "Doom Loop?"

^ Different generation, different drugs, but same city. San Francisco has fallen a long way since the days when you'd see Jerry GarcĂ­a strolling down the streets, strumming his guitar as he went:-

To get lost is to learn the way.