Quote from: Guybrush on May 09, 2024, 07:43 AMYou mentioned a parasite, so I ofc latched on to that bit.

The brain eating worm is probably the common pork tapeworm. It has a stage where it lives in the intestine, which is what people know about, but that stage produces eggs that hatch into another stage, a stage that makes a smaller worm that burrows into tissues and lives inside the cyst it creates there.

If people ingest those eggs, say from drinking water contaminated with faeces containing tapeworm eggs, those worms can end up in the brain - or in the eyes even.

It really is awful and so if you want something new to keep you up at night, just Google pork tapeworm brain.

Thanks Guy, I was on the fence about skipping breakfast, but now I think I can skip lunch too.  ;D

Quote from: SGR on May 09, 2024, 03:05 PMThanks Guy, I was on the fence about skipping breakfast, but now I think I can skip lunch too.  ;D
good thing you weren't eating while reading.

Lesson learned for me but good think I didn't get sausage patties like I normally do for breakfast.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: Guybrush on May 09, 2024, 07:43 AMYou mentioned a parasite, so I ofc latched on to that bit.

The brain eating worm is probably the common pork tapeworm. It has a stage where it lives in the intestine, which is what people know about, but that stage produces eggs that hatch into another stage, a stage that makes a smaller worm that burrows into tissues and lives inside the cyst it creates there.

If people ingest those eggs, say from drinking water contaminated with faeces containing tapeworm eggs, those worms can end up in the brain - or in the eyes even.

It really is awful and so if you want something new to keep you up at night, just Google pork tapeworm brain.

When I read this I decided to give up eating and drinking entirely -  a resolve that lasted for about an hour.

I've prob mentioned this before, but pork is a risky meat to eat because pigs are genetically close to us: a bug that lives in pork can probably transfer comfortably to us. It's safer to eat beef, chicken or fish that are furthur removed from us genetically, so those bugs are less adept at finding a new home in us.

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

'Biden didn't come to the Bronx': Trump makes a foray into Democratic turf

QuoteA Siena College poll released Wednesday showed Biden leading Trump in New York by only 9 points — 47 to 38 percent among 1,191 registered voters. Four years ago, Biden defeated Trump in the state by 23 points. And according to a recent New York Times and Siena College poll of battleground states, Trump and Biden had equal support with Latino voters, while Trump had 20 percent support from Black voters. Trump only needs to make marginal gains with Latino voters to make a difference in the November election.

If the polling suggests Trump's appeal may extend even incrementally beyond his traditionally white base, it was evident at the rally too. The crowd reflected New York's diversity, with Hasidic Jews, Blacks and Latinos in attendance wearing MAGA hats and holding signs with Trump's mugshot and the slogan "Never Surrender."

With Trump's recent rally in the Bronx, it's provided a pretty stark contrast in visible levels of voter enthusiasm.

Here's what Biden's recent event in reliably blue New Hampshire looked like before he started speaking.

Here's what Trump's recent event in the reliably blue Bronx looked like before he started speaking.

https://x.com/EricSpracklen/status/1793766685662740703?t=9eUzWxnyMuejSrtwRcQCuw

Yeah...a little bit of a difference.  :laughing:

Thanks for the pro-Trump propaganda, SGR!

Joy Reid has her own interpretation: a refutation that she packs into the first 3 mins:

(One of JR's photos reminds me of that classic Sean Spicer moment to the American people: "Pay me an inflated salary and I will lie shamelessly to your face". Good times.)

#222 May 25, 2024, 11:05 PM Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 11:08 PM by SGR
Quote from: Lisnaholic on May 25, 2024, 03:37 PMThanks for the pro-Trump propaganda, SGR!

Joy Reid has her own interpretation: a refutation that she packs into the first 3 mins:

(One of JR's photos reminds me of that classic Sean Spicer moment to the American people: "Pay me an inflated salary and I will lie shamelessly to your face". Good times.)

I tried to find a Youtube video of that Twitter clip that didn't include the obviously pro-Trump sentiment in the guy's tweet, but unfortunately, I couldn't find it.

As for Joy Reid, I wasn't arguing about what Trump's crowd size was. Rather, that the two clips are reflective of the contrast of enthusiasm of Democrats to vote for Biden and of Republicans to vote Trump. Polls reflect that of course, with Republicans right now being almost twice as enthusiastic to vote as Democrats. Enthusiasm, I think, converts to energy. The atmosphere of the Trump event looked like a party or a celebration, while the atmosphere of the Biden event was more akin to bingo night at a senior center, even replete with elevator music ambiance. To be fair, there are surely Biden events that have more energy than the Biden NH one I posted, but I was trying to make a point about voter enthusiasm.

QuoteA Monmouth poll from late April shows Republicans are much more interested in the presidential rematch than Democrats or Independents. According to the poll, 63% of GOP voters were "somewhat or very enthusiastic" about it, compared to just 36% of Democrats.

Going back to the Joy Reid thing, and it's not just her, but many other liberals who have covered this Trump Bronx event, discrediting his crowd size or whatever. It seems like a similar mistake that the left-leaning media made in the 2016 cycle (though it could only be classified as a mistake if they cared more about Biden being reelected than generating clicks/money). All Trump's campaign apparently has to do is exaggerate his crowd size, and then left-leaning media swoops in to 'correct the record', but at the same time, giving him all kinds of free national press to people outside of New York who'd otherwise have no clue Trump was in the Bronx - feeding into the aforementioned 'energy'. When it's election day, will your average swing voter who's seen these stories on left leaning news outlets remember what Trump's crowd size was, or will they just remember that Trump campaigned in the Bronx, and tried to create outreach to a more diverse electorate?

crowd-size...energy...enthusiasm: yes, these things aren't identical and can be teased apart by all means, although, by the end of your post, you're surely pulling those threads back together again, to link them to turnout.

To me the point is that your clips are cherry-picked and partisan, and I believe that calling out distortions and lies are signs of healthy media coverage. Does that give Trump too much free publicity? I don't know, but it's better than letting lies go unchallenged, imo.

I have no idea what swing voters think, but at least JR and other fact-checkers might be giving them a heads up: that from Sean Spicer to today, the GOP is a party of irresponsible and blatant liars, from this:-

Sharpiegate: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/06/politics/trump-sharpie-hurricane-dorian-alabama/index.html

...to this:

QuoteFormer President Trump's false claim that President Biden was "locked & loaded ready to take me out" during the FBI's search at his Mar-a-Lago residence has quickly fallen apart.

Why it matters: Trump's claim fueled a social media frenzy among some of his MAGA allies, leading federal law enforcement to denounce the accusations.

Trump posted on his Truth Social account earlier this week that Biden's Justice Department "authorized the FBI to use deadly (lethal) force" during the search at Mar-a-Lago.

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) falsely wrote on X on Tuesday that "the Biden DOJ and FBI were planning to assassinate Pres Trump and gave the green light." 

^ With Space-Laser Lady, Marjorie Failure Green, writing such junk accusations, then yeah, I think refutation is the best policy:

Quote from: Lisnaholic on May 26, 2024, 02:17 AMcrowd-size...energy...enthusiasm: yes, these things aren't identical and can be teased apart by all means, although, by the end of your post, you're surely pulling those threads back together again, to link them to turnout.

They may not be the exact same - but there's certainly an intersection - a venn diagram if you will. But by all means, if you think the Democrats' current approach and strategy is working and will be successful in winning the election with their current voter engagement and enthusiasm, more power to you.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on May 26, 2024, 02:17 AMTo me the point is that your clips are cherry-picked and partisan, and I believe that calling out distortions and lies are signs of healthy media coverage. Does that give Trump too much free publicity? I don't know, but it's better than letting lies go unchallenged, imo.

The irony is not lost on me that the clip you sent me as a rebuttal in your first response is from MSNBC, which is essentially the highly partisan left wing version of Fox News (they're even more biased than CNN). This outlet, who you claim are a sign of healthy media coverage in fact-checking Trump's crowd size claims, are the same outlet that have a history of spreading lies about Trump, which we've already discussed in a different thread. But these lies were much more impactful and important to know the truth about than Trump's crowd size numbers. So important, that Biden originally announced he was running for president in 2020 because of one of the lies (which he certainly knew was a lie by then).

MTG is a clown. But for this whole DOJ authorizing the use of deadly force in the FBI raid of Mar-a-Lago deal, I haven't come to my own conclusion about that completely. To me, it seems like a 'cover your ass' manuever so that if something crazy and unexpected happens, and one of the FBI agents needs to use deadly force, they can't be prosecuted for it afterwards. I'll admit that I haven't dug deep into the subject, but if someone could show me evidence that the DOJ granting the FBI authority to use lethal force in a raid like this is a real anomaly, maybe I'd change my mind. Otherwise, I think the whole story is a nothing-burger that Republicans will attempt to use to paint Trump as a victim/martyr of a corrupt justice system.