a particle; a fragment of totality

Drama bores me and so does the run-up to the US Presidential Election, which is why I've mostly been absent from this thread. But like @Trollheart, I still appreciate the level of discussion and do lurk here regularly.

I support Kamala - unless she's somehow worse than Trump, but that seems highly unlikely.

Happiness is a warm manatee

I wonder how many more of these attempts we can rack up before Nov.

Quote from: Jwb on Sep 16, 2024, 12:28 AM

I wonder how many more of these attempts we can rack up before Nov.

This should part of presidential prop bets on places like Polymarket and PredictIt. I think the O/U should be 1.5.

Well let's be honest here: if you had to pick ONE place you just KNEW Trump was gonna be...

QuoteRyan Wesley Routh, the 58-year-old man who was arrested on Sunday in connection with what the F.B.I. described as an attempted assassination on former President Donald J. Trump, had expressed the desire to fight and die in Ukraine.

Mr. Routh's posts on the social media site X revealed a penchant for violent rhetoric in the weeks after Russia's invasion of Ukraine in 2022. "I AM WILLING TO FLY TO KRAKOW AND GO TO THE BORDER OF UKRAINE TO VOLUNTEER AND FIGHT AND DIE," he wrote.

On the messaging application Signal, Mr. Routh wrote that "Civilians must change this war and prevent future wars" as part of his profile bio. On WhatsApp, his bio read, "Each one of us must do our part daily in the smallest steps help support human rights, freedom and democracy; we each must help the chinese."

Mr. Routh, a former roofing contractor from Greensboro, N.C., was interviewed by The New York Times in 2023 for an article about Americans volunteering to aid the war effort in Ukraine. Mr. Routh, who had no military experience, said he had traveled to the country after Russia's invasion and wanted to recruit Afghan soldiers to fight there.

[...]

Mr. Routh also said he was seeking recruits for Ukraine from among Afghan soldiers who had fled the Taliban. He said he planned to move them, in some cases illegally, from Pakistan and Iran to Ukraine. He said dozens had expressed interest.

"We can probably purchase some passports through Pakistan, since it's such a corrupt country," he said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/15/us/politics/trump-shooting-suspect-routh.html?smid=url-share