Quote from: Lisnaholic on Sep 14, 2024, 02:56 AMI agree with your comments about the Taylor Swift endorsement, Trollheart. It was judged just right, stopping short of propaganda, but having a powerful effect no doubt. Also clever that having made her opinion clear, her message now is the non-partisan one of "register to vote".

Memes apart, I bet plenty of people are taking her comment seriously.

That's an old quote you've come across, Shhon ! I remember having a go at Nimbly about it at the time, but Nimbly, alas, doesn't post here anymore :(

yeah i never really agreed with him on anything over at musicbanter and then nothing here. i do wonder where he went and why he randomly stopped posting but a lot did once we switched to this new website. maybe some just didnt like the newer ways this website is compared to the old school MB.

frownland is gone

elph is gone

i do wonder where ribbons went too

Quote from: SGR on Sep 14, 2024, 03:01 AMAs a young guy who despised George W. Bush and the War on Iraq, I gotta say, I couldn't imagine a day that Democrats would be happy or satisfied about a Dick Cheney endorsement.  :laughing:

^ Yeah, I wasn't paying much attention to US politics during the G W Bush years, but I'm picking up on the fact that Dick Cheney's not a popular figure. Still, his endorsement is out there, so I mentioned it. I don't know to what extent the Dems are "happy or satisfied", but it does indicate how unimpressed old-school Republicans are with Trump. As I'm sure you'll guess, my position is "if DC pulls any voters away from Trump, that's a good thing." 

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Quote from: Shhon on Sep 14, 2024, 03:18 AMyeah i never really agreed with him on anything over at musicbanter and then nothing here. i do wonder where he went and why he randomly stopped posting but a lot did once we switched to this new website. maybe some just didnt like the newer ways this website is compared to the old school MB.

frownland is gone

elph is gone

Yep, a lot of people to be missed, I'm afraid :(

I always liked how Anteater/Nimbly's taste in music was individualistic and quite hard to pin down, but like you, Shhon, I  didn't agree with him on politics, covid or various other "Lounge" topics. A nice guy to have an argument with though:

Quote from: SGR on Sep 14, 2024, 03:01 AMAs a young guy who despised George W. Bush and the War on Iraq, I gotta say, I couldn't imagine a day that Democrats would be happy or satisfied about a Dick Cheney endorsement.  :laughing:

During the debate watch party I had. Everyone in the room groaned when she said that. Democrats aren't happy about a Dick Cheney endorsement only Kamala is.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: Shhon on Sep 14, 2024, 03:18 AMyeah i never really agreed with him on anything over at musicbanter and then nothing here. i do wonder where he went and why he randomly stopped posting but a lot did once we switched to this new website. maybe some just didnt like the newer ways this website is compared to the old school MB.

frownland is gone

elph is gone

Elph was gonna go regardless.

As much as I liked some of Frownland's film recs. Good riddance.

I'm sure ribbons will come back when she has time.

It would be fair, I think (and they might agree) to say that with a few exceptions (wish Exo had joined) the only ones who didn't come over to our side, or at least stay, are the ones who were, shall we say, the ones who stirred things up over at MB. Frownland definitely saw the place as his own personal fiefdom, where he could say and do anything (especially once they made him a mod, a decision probably ranking somewhere between voting Hitler chancellor in the 1930s and voting in Trump - ah he won't mind; Donald has a thick skin) and though he would defend his comments as quote friendly banter unquote, he knew damn well that much of what he said hurt people and annoyed them and wasn't at all friendly, and I think he got off on that, as well as pretending he didn't get it. Batty came here, looked around, saw the signs saying KEEP OFF THE GRASS, thought "Fuck that! I need my weed!" and exited stage left, never to be seen again. He's not even on MB these days, or at least I haven't seen him. Hawk was the only "renegade" as it were, who made the transfer to our side, and then he got pissed off and headed in another direction. Maybe he'll come back one day. Elph I don't think was ever interested in discussion, just throwing comments and facts at people (we all remember "metal is shit" with no backup, right?) so quite honestly I don't see what sort of contribution he could or would have made here.

It's perhaps unfair, but I think nevertheless true, to say that the loss or absence of these people has helped us to keep a decent non-toxic atmosphere here. Sort of like germs that cause disease, without them our air has been much cleaner. Honestly, I can't recall one single instance of drama here - oh wait: there was one, wasn't there, and it was down to me. Two actually: one a mod-based intervention, which sort of blew up a bit and then died down, and one when I was totally misunderstood in the Trans Women in Sports thread. Sure. But other than those, everyone has been polite and respectful, the discussions in this thread especially showing that you can, as Steven Biko said, have conflict without violence, debate without anger, and an exchange of views without snark and petty name-calling and cliqueism. Again, well done all, say I, but especially, in this context, SGR, JWB and DJ. I don't include Lisna in this, not because his username is not an acronym, or because he's an exception, but because, well, can anyone see or even contemplate any time when Lisna wasn't the perfect gentleman? It's just his default state, and he sets a great example for younger posters. So yes, all four, well done, and let's keep it up.

In the case of the lovely Ribbons, I'm afraid she may not be back, as it seems she has some pretty concerning real-world problems to deal with, but hope springs eternal, and we wish her well wherever she is, and look forward to the time we may see her back here.

It's kind of cringe that they're giving him the opportunity to recast himself in this way,  but ultimately I think they really like it more because they can use it to appear moderate. The only thing I like is that it's good to use the infighting on the right over Trump against them.

#758 Sep 14, 2024, 09:19 PM Last Edit: Sep 14, 2024, 09:22 PM by degrassi.knoll
If you're never exposed to germs you'll have a weak immune system.

Proud to be the disease of the forum tbh.

a particle; a fragment of totality

For the record I still find it completely asinine to assign the same value to pedophiles and casual misogynists.

a particle; a fragment of totality

I always find it funny and slightly ironic that the people that are happy that the 'toxic' people aren't around are the ones that constantly bring them up.

I'd love a bit of toxicity here tbh. This forum is so boring most times.

Thanks for the kind words, Trollheart ! You yourself are equally a gentleman on the forum, imo.

I suppose that Key and degrassi have a point, which I would express with this old saying:-

QuoteAn old Victorian adage holds that "kissing a man without a moustache is like eating an egg without salt".

A little bit of spice, a little bit of friction is good, though on MB I thought a lot of the conflicts didn't generate anything apart from a kind of fleeting goulish curiosity, which I am happier doing without. Online, I prefer not to be titillated in that way, and I appreciate everybody's good manners here on SCD. One consequence of the decent behaviour here is that I feel comfortable sharing more real-life stuff on here than I ever would've done on MB.

If it comes to "boring", I find that the level of enthusiasm for swapping music recs, etc, is pretty low here a lot of the time :(
That's partly down to the number or regularly contributing members, I guess.

I just wanna spend 10+ pages arguing with someone about something that has nothing to do with anything. Is that too much to ask?

Quote from: Key on Sep 15, 2024, 06:12 AMI just wanna spend 10+ pages arguing with someone about something that has nothing to do with anything. Is that too much to ask?

Yes.