Quote from: SGR on Sep 11, 2024, 11:25 PMThat being said - there is a possibility given the standing of the race that one state matters more than any other (Pennsylvania). One of their bread and butter issues is fracking. How does this debate go over with them? I don't have numbers, but it might have outsized importance. I expect Kamala to jump 2-3 points in the national polls and the betting odds - don't know if it will last, but they're already asking Trump for another debate. More than likely, Trump will agree if they do it on Fox, to which Kamala's team will smartly decline with the explanation that they're too biased. And ultimately, I doubt there will be another debate. The only way there will be, in my opinion, is if one candidate (likely for reasons other than this debate) starts seriously slipping in the polls. Then it becomes, even if unlikely, a possibility.

I heard Trump doesn't want to do anymore debates not even at Fox.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Sep 11, 2024, 11:54 PMI heard Trump doesn't want to do anymore debates not even at Fox.

It seems like he's being completely non-committal at this point, which is probably wise. He was non-committal with both this last debate and the previous debate with Biden. It's all a smokescreen as part of the negotiation, if one were to be had.

Him and his team are probably waiting for numbers/internal polling to figure out if they think another debate would be beneficial/necessary - if so, the negotiations will begin, which doesn't mean said negotiations will go anywhere, given that it also depends on Kamala and her team's numbers/internal polling. The one who has the least to gain will likely be able to dictate more of the terms, should it go forward.

Quote from: SGR on Sep 12, 2024, 12:14 AMIt seems like he's being completely non-committal at this point, which is probably wise. He was non-committal with both this last debate and the previous debate with Biden. It's all a smokescreen as part of the negotiation, if one were to be had.

Him and his team are probably waiting for numbers/internal polling to figure out if they think another debate would be beneficial/necessary - if so, the negotiations will begin, which doesn't mean said negotiations will go anywhere, given that it also depends on Kamala and her team's numbers/internal polling. The one who has the least to gain will likely be able to dictate more of the terms, should it go forward.

Right after the debate he was bragging about how he won the debate.

I was laughing my ass off at how much sweat he had on his upper lip.

Kamala had him flustered, after that dig at his rallies about the size and people being bored he just spiraled so much after that.

I love that he brought up the migrants eating pets. Donald is just chronically online. I saw that story floating around X hours before the debate. I guess it was going on for two days before and there are a bunch of AI pics of Trump saving people's pets lol.

The mods being biased is an overplayed angle here imo. Trump got more mic time and often got the last word through brute force and determination. The only real complaint i see people making is the fact checking claim but I think if you look at the actual lies that got fact checked,  Trump is the one who deserved the scrutiny. 

There's no need to try to even  it out by fact checking Kamala a few times when she's not the one up there saying Haitian migrants are eating pets and that doctors were executing born infants under Roe.

It's like it doesn't even cross Republicans minds that ABC might not want the heat for not fact checking that kind of outlandish and divisive shit being said to such a large audience.  The abortion claim was actually one he repeated from the Biden debate and CNN got criticism for not calling that out then. 

So I don't see an angle here for the Trump fans to really lean on.  If anything,  them fact checking the claim that crime was " through the roof" was probably not necessary.  The other examples I saw were perfectly appropriate. 

If Harris had anything comparable then maybe I could see their point.  Instead, one of the main examples (the bloodbath one) wasn't even a factual lie but rather just a misleading quote,  which trump was given the immediate opportunity to clarify. 

So the Trump fans wanted them to fact check it instead of Trump getting to clarify his statement in his own words? To make up for the mods correcting Trump's unhinged musings about Haitians eating pets? Feels like cope to me lol. 

Quote from: Shhon on Sep 11, 2024, 05:39 AMhttps://x.com/GorillaOSINT/status/1833705713404629173

^ Yep, Liz Cheney, the other Cheney, Taylor Swift: the drip, drip of people endorsing Kamala Harris continues. If I had the time and patience, I'd compile a list of former Trump colleagues who are now ranked among the Never Trumpers. It would be a pretty ignominious list of self-serving, self-deluding types who finally woke up, or discovered too late their vestigal spines: Mike Pence, Mike Bolton, Bill Barr, etc etc.

Meantime, here's the latest BBC poll-of-polls on Harris and Trump:-

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cj4x71znwxdo

One detail I noticed: the graph that indicates when RFK Jr dropped out of the race. I needed a magnifying glass and calipers to calculate the impact of that event on the poll numbers  :laughing:

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

#740 Sep 12, 2024, 06:10 PM Last Edit: Sep 12, 2024, 10:12 PM by Shhon
Quote from: Lisnaholic on Sep 12, 2024, 04:45 PM^ Yep, Liz Cheney, the other Cheney, Taylor Swift: the drip, drip of people endorsing Kamala Harris continues. If I had the time and patience, I'd compile a list of former Trump colleagues who are now ranked among the Never Trumpers. It would be a pretty ignominious list of self-serving, self-deluding types who finally woke up, or discovered too late their vestigal spines: Mike Pence, Mike Bolton, Bill Barr, etc etc.

Meantime, here's the latest BBC poll-of-polls on Harris and Trump:-

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cj4x71znwxdo

One detail I noticed: the graph that indicates when RFK Jr dropped out of the race. I needed a magnifying glass and calipers to calculate the impact of that event on the poll numbers  :laughing:

I never understood how the republicans chose trump as their guy lol

out of ALL the Americans in this country, trump is their guy?  :laughing:

#741 Sep 13, 2024, 03:23 AM Last Edit: Sep 13, 2024, 03:26 AM by Trollheart
Highly entertaining and informative as usual guys. I am surprised though that nobody really seems to be taking Taylor Swift's clear and unequivocal endorsement of Harris more seriously. People like her (whether you like her or not, are a fan or not) have immense power these days, and I think her coming down on Harris's side will be a massive, as you all say, swing of the needle. Sure, many of her fans will be too young to vote, but even then, they can pester their parents to "Vote for who Taylor said, this black lady", if they were previously undecided.

I always thought if people with big fanbases like, say, Stephen King or Kelsey Grammer or whoever got up and supported a candidate, it could really change these elections. It could be the way to go, and of course now some other big pop star or movie star may hit back and endorse Trump, and we'll have not only a presidential election but a fanbase election too. At least, whatever I think of her, Swift has made a positive effort to not only contribute to the conversation but also shown her fans they need to give a shit. Makes a change: we all remember Britney, don't we? At least Taylor realises the massive power of her endorsement and is using it for, as it were, good not evil.

Of course, this is also in response to someone AI-generating her supposedly supporting Trump, but still, it can only be a good thing. Mobilise that base, Taylor! Cry HAVOC, and let slip the dogs of teenage female fandom!

Quote from: Nimbly9 on Feb 26, 2024, 03:27 AMPutin said Tucker should have asked harder questions too, now that you mention it.  So what do you mean by "face value" in that context? All we ever have to go on with heads of state (for the most part) is what they say. It is precisely that reason that I don't really take a lot of what Trump says seriously regardless of the topic.  I also assume Biden lies every time he opens his mouth too.

Putin is a slightly different story though - he's not a gaffe machine like Biden or a loosey goosey ad libber like Trump.  He said years ago that he preferred Trump to Hillary.  Pretty sure he meant that.  Now he's saying he prefers Biden to Trump.  Going by his past comments, all you can do is assume he means what he says in this case.

Quote from: Trollheart on Sep 13, 2024, 03:23 AMHighly entertaining and informative as usual guys. I am surprised though that nobody really seems to be taking Taylor Swift's clear and unequivocal endorsement of Harris more seriously. People like her (whether you like her or not, are a fan or not) have immense power these days, and I think her coming down on Harris's side will be a massive, as you all say, swing of the needle. Sure, many of her fans will be too young to vote, but even then, they can pester their parents to "Vote for who Taylor said, this black lady", if they were previously undecided.

I always thought if people with big fanbases like, say, Stephen King or Kelsey Grammer or whoever got up and supported a candidate, it could really change these elections. It could be the way to go, and of course now some other big pop star or movie star may hit back and endorse Trump, and we'll have not only a presidential election but a fanbase election too. At least, whatever I think of her, Swift has made a positive effort to not only contribute to the conversation but also shown her fans they need to give a shit. Makes a change: we all remember Britney, don't we? At least Taylor realises the massive power of her endorsement and is using it for, as it were, good not evil.

Of course, this is also in response to someone AI-generating her supposedly supporting Trump, but still, it can only be a good thing. Mobilise that base, Taylor! Cry HAVOC, and let slip the dogs of teenage female fandom!

Taylor said who she would vote for but her message was to have the youngins male sure they are registered to vote. Obviously the ones of voting age and for them to do their own research on who to vote for. That's what she said on her IG post

Quote from: DJChameleon on Sep 11, 2024, 11:54 PMI heard Trump doesn't want to do anymore debates not even at Fox.

Yep he announced yesterday no more debates.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Sep 13, 2024, 07:57 AMTaylor said who she would vote for but her message was to have the youngins male sure they are registered to vote. Obviously the ones of voting age and for them to do their own research on who to vote for. That's what she said on her IG post

Oh yeah I know. That's even better. If she had said "You all should vote for Kamala" that might be seen as pushing an agenda, but she just said I'm voting for her, which in effect means surely a large part of her fanbase (many of whom, I'm sure, would follow her off a cliff if she decided to do that) will copy her, if only to impress her and ingratiate themselves with her and other fans. The message implicit in her post was "I'm doing this and you should too, though I of course would never say that or urge you to do that." Reminds me a little of Francis Urqhart: "You might very well say that, I couldn't possibly comment." But at least she's using the power of her celebrity to actually do something, which I have to applaud. Maybe the young people will take back your country after all.

I agree with your comments about the Taylor Swift endorsement, Trollheart. It was judged just right, stopping short of propaganda, but having a powerful effect no doubt. Also clever that having made her opinion clear, her message now is the non-partisan one of "register to vote".

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Sep 12, 2024, 04:45 PM^ Yep, Liz Cheney, the other Cheney, Taylor Swift: the drip, drip of people endorsing Kamala Harris continues.

Memes apart, I bet plenty of people are taking her comment seriously.

Quote from: Shhon on Sep 13, 2024, 07:50 AMQuote from: Nimbly9 on Feb 26, 2024, 03:27 AM
Putin said Tucker should have asked harder questions too, now that you mention it.  So what do you mean by "face value" in that context? All we ever have to go on with heads of state (for the most part) is what they say. It is precisely that reason that I don't really take a lot of what Trump says seriously regardless of the topic.  I also assume Biden lies every time he opens his mouth too.
Putin is a slightly different story though - he's not a gaffe machine like Biden or a loosey goosey ad libber like Trump.  He said years ago that he preferred Trump to Hillary.  Pretty sure he meant that.  Now he's saying he prefers Biden to Trump.  Going by his past comments, all you can do is assume he means what he says in this case.

That's an old quote you've come across, Shhon ! I remember having a go at Nimbly about it at the time, but Nimbly, alas, doesn't post here anymore :(

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Sep 12, 2024, 04:45 PM^ Yep, Liz Cheney, the other Cheney, Taylor Swift: the drip, drip of people endorsing Kamala Harris continues.

As a young guy who despised George W. Bush and the War on Iraq, I gotta say, I couldn't imagine a day that Democrats would be happy or satisfied about a Dick Cheney endorsement.  :laughing: