Here's a thread for news stories about music artists. The good, the bad, & the ugly. Not for notices about any deaths, though, since we already have a R.I.P. thread for those.

Here's another one from The Guardian. Some good news for Paul McCartney...

Long-lost bass guitar returned to Paul McCartney after more than 50 years

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Feb 17, 2024, 01:21 PMAnd some sad news about Brian Wilson :(

Beach Boys star Brian Wilson has dementia

I saw him live like five years ago and he already seemed to have back then too.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Trial to begin in case over Eagles' stolen 'Hotel California' lyrics and notes

QuoteOpening statements are set to begin Wednesday in the trial of three men charged in an alleged conspiracy to sell nearly 100 stolen pages of Eagles founding member Don Henley's handwritten notes and lyrics for the band's landmark album "Hotel California."

Diddy denies gang rape allegation in court documents

QuoteSean "Diddy" Combs has denied in a legal filing that he raped a woman 20 years ago in a New York City recording studio when she was 17, as she alleged in a lawsuit filed in December.

The woman, identified in her lawsuit only as Jane Doe, has alleged Combs, along with Harve Pierre, a former president of Combs' record label, and an unnamed individual, took turns raping her. The suit names Combs, Pierre, Daddy's House Recordings and Bad Boy Entertainment as defendants.

@ Psy-Fi and Janszoon: yeah, sadly that news about Brian Wilson is almost not news, because afaik he has been visibly struggling with a mental fog of some kind for years. What's particularly touching to me is to see the way he is always treated with such respect by fellow musicians, in appreciation of his genious years and his struggles with drugs and fame.

Anyone follow the story of hip-hop group, Run DMC ? Not me, tbh, but they feature in this news story today:-

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/us/2024/02/21/jam-master-jay-run-dmc-omar-jimenez-pkg-lead-vpx.cnn

To get lost is to learn the way.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Feb 22, 2024, 01:36 PM@ Psy-Fi and Janszoon: yeah, sadly that news about Brian Wilson is almost not news, because afaik he has been visibly struggling with a mental fog of some kind for years. What's particularly touching to me is to see the way he is always treated with such respect by fellow musicians, in appreciation of his genious years and his struggles with drugs and fame.

I guess it's not too surprising considering his mental health struggles over the years but there were times when the fog lifted for a while and his musical genius shone through. I went to see him perform live back in 2000, when he did the first 'Pet Sounds' tour and it was one of the most spellbinding and memorable shows I've ever seen. One of those rare occurrences when the performance sounds so good that it takes the live music experience to another level. 

That's high praise for a concert, Psy-Fi. If he was doing songs from his Pet Sounds era, then I can imagine that it was something special to hear. Were the songs with full Beach Boy type harmonies or was it more of a stripped-down, BW at piano performance?
(From what Janszoon says, he may well have seen BW on the same tour!)

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Feb 22, 2024, 03:14 PMThat's high praise for a concert, Psy-Fi. If he was doing songs from his Pet Sounds era, then I can imagine that it was something special to hear. Were the songs with full Beach Boy type harmonies or was it more of a stripped-down, BW at piano performance?
(From what Janszoon says, he may well have seen BW on the same tour!)

He had a backing band and an orchestra. He played various Beach Boys songs with just the backing band and had the orchestra join them when they played the Pet Sounds album from start to finish. Here's the set list...

Brian Wilson - July 18, 2000

Janszoon saw him more recently.

Thanks for that info on the concert! some of those Pet Sounds tracks were the very best songs that BW wrote - and I see from your setlist that he kept a string of early Beach Boy classics for his encore. That was a great way to end the concert, I'm sure.

It's actually funny, I've never been a big fan of them, but my dad and I recently hung out and listened to some Beach Boys playlist he had which included a bunch of tracks from Pet Sounds, and I think for the first time I finally "got it".

I think maybe the wave of 00s/10s indie bands that worshipped them kinda soured me on that sound and I couldn't really give it a fair shake. I think I can appreciate it a lot more now as a chiller 30 something.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Lexi Darling on Feb 22, 2024, 08:19 PMIt's actually funny, I've never been a big fan of them, but my dad and I recently hung out and listened to some Beach Boys playlist he had which included a bunch of tracks from Pet Sounds, and I think for the first time I finally "got it".

I think maybe the wave of 00s/10s indie bands that worshipped them kinda soured me on that sound and I couldn't really give it a fair shake. I think I can appreciate it a lot more now as a chiller 30 something.

Yeah, Same here. I "got" a lot of groups like The Beatles and The Stones from the first time I heard them but it took me until my 30's to really "get it" with Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys. Before that, I just dismissed them as an uncool, corny & sappy 60's pop group.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Feb 23, 2024, 10:46 PMYeah, Same here. I "got" a lot of groups like The Beatles and The Stones from the first time I heard them but it took me until my 30's to really "get it" with Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys. Before that, I just dismissed them as an uncool, corny & sappy 60's pop group.

I liked the Beach Boys out of nostalgia because my dad used to play their early stuff in the car a lot, but it wasn't until my late 20s when I started to appreciate how brilliant their later stuff was.

This is what you want. This is what you get.