Should we get our own SCD discord chatroom?

Yes
1 (33.3%)
No
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: May 13, 2023, 01:11 AM

Jan 23, 2023, 04:27 PM Last Edit: Jan 23, 2023, 04:29 PM by Guybrush
Xin Chào, Guest.

So. Should we have our own chatroom of some kind? OR should we use MB's unofficial Discord?

Either way would work, but one or the other might be preferable. To gain a little more perspective, I've put up the two scenarios with a simple listing of pros and cons. If there's something I've forgotten, please write a comment in this thread or send me a PM. Also, I want your opinions.

Using MB's Discord

Pros:
  • There's more people to chat with
  • It might be an arena for recruitment to SCD

Cons:
  • We don't control it, who they ban, etc. We might not all have access
  • We're locked into Discord (although that might be fine)

Making our own chatroom

Pros:
  • We can choose whatever service we want (IRC, Slack, Discord, Facebook messenger, whatevs)
  • We control it and access to it

Cons:
  • There'll be fewer people
  • It is unlikely to be an arena for recruitment

Happiness is a warm manatee

I say we just launch a coup of the musicbanter discord.

In the age of ignorance, being informed is a choice.

I don't really go into chat so I'm fine with anything you do with this.

The Word has spoken :D

I'm with RS. Less chat, more hat. Or something. No, I used to be an IRC-addict but I'm better now. I simply don't have the time for or the interest in chatting, so yeah, whatever you decide to do I don't have an opinion really.

since i'm banned at the unofficial one i definitely prefer starting a new one

also i think this site should start separating itself from music cancer and maybe some of you should stop talking about me over there

maybe you should stop lurking over there

Quote from: Marie Monday on Jan 23, 2023, 09:54 PMmaybe you should stop lurking over there

amazing the toxicity over there - try some yoga or something

Alright OH, I'll keep your request in mind if I'm posting over there.

Quote from: Trollheart on Jan 23, 2023, 06:54 PMI used to be an IRC-addict but I'm better now.

Yeah, me too from like the mid 90s to the early 00s. My interest in the Vampire: The Masquerade tabletop RPG landed me in an online community full of goths. They taught me about Bauhaus, Siouxsie and Sisters of Mercy.. and Squirrel Nut Zippers for some reason.

I've set up the server. Channel recs would be great and then over the weekend I'll do some more shit in it and hopefully next week it will be ready to send invites.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on May 05, 2023, 04:28 PMI've set up the server. Channel recs would be great and then over the weekend I'll do some more shit in it and hopefully next week it will be ready to send invites.

can you set it up so grown men that ain't never got none need to go out get some before logging in - make them get their log in before they log in if you know what i'm saying -

Quote from: Toy Revolver on May 05, 2023, 04:46 PMcan you set it up so grown men that ain't never got none need to go out get some before logging in - make them get their log in before they log in if you know what i'm saying -

Well it won't be public like the MB one was. I was thinking TH and Guy would have the link and anyone on here can get it.

Thoughts?

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on May 05, 2023, 04:51 PMWell it won't be public like the MB one was. I was thinking TH and Guy would have the link and anyone on here can get it.

Thoughts?

discord is fun but this community is so small i'm a little concerned about any distraction

My only reservation with it is that discord chat is so much more addictive and distracting for me; I already spend a lot of time on the forum and if a lot of people hang on discord more often I'll be more likely to spend time there as well and inevitably get wrapped up in chatting rather than this forum where I can kinda set and forget with my posts.

But that's just a personal thing, I'm all for it if the community wants it.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I had a similar experience at a very old forum where everyone added each other on Skype and the activity at the forum significantly dropped. They were more after the chatting aspect though so idk if the same applies here. It would undoubtedly have some effect though maybe in a much smaller way here. Those are my half baked thoughts.

Because @jimmy jazz ' expertise with running Discord servers came up in a different thread, I thought it might be good to reignite the discussion on whether or not we should have our own chatroom for SCD.

What do you think?

By the way - added a poll!