Quote from: Saulaac on Feb 25, 2024, 11:13 PM^ I can't really connect with it musically, but yeah it looks technically brilliant.

It sounds better at 0.75 speed. Was it sped up?

I certainly hope not, that'd be cheating. ;D

Forgot how cool this is.

^That's a groovy mashup, grindy. My alzheimers is setting in so I can't remember those guy's names but that's the bassist from Knower, and the keyboardist is Jack thingymabob.

Talking about bassists (as one does), this concert has some great basslines from Trevor Horn. I must admit I didn't know him but he was important enough to arrange a concert and to include Grace Jones in it.

3:34 to 3:40 Horn plays a really great riff which upon reflection is like from Bach or something.

Snarky Puppy is probably already mentioned both here and elsewhere, but I just find the riff starting at 16 seconds in here incredibly funky ❤️

Happiness is a warm manatee

Snarky Puppy is defo on my top 50 desert island discs, Guybrush. There's a case to be made that if they ever do a remake of Starsky and Hutch then that riff should feature in the opening credits  :)

Iirc, this tour was in Holland and I watched it around the time of covid part 1 (2020), and I remember being so transfixed by the Cory Henry solo on Lingus. Superb players. They all seem to have their own individual projects but then come together when Michael League has the next gig lined up. Some of their tunes are a tiny bit samey, but yeah they are clearly one of my favourites.

Looks like y'all don't enjoy the shreddy shit that much but damn, Mohini Dey is impressive af

It's impressive playing, but I don't think John Coltrane's sax benefits at all from being doubled with bass. It's cool, but I don't actually like the sound of it.

Happiness is a warm manatee

I like the way it works together but just bass would probably sound nicer

#38 Mar 11, 2024, 11:27 PM Last Edit: Mar 11, 2024, 11:41 PM by Saulaac
^ I don't know that album "The Art Of John Coltrane" well at all, but Mohini Dey certainly seems to be full on into it. I must admit my favourite part was around the one minute mark when she picked up the original bass part and seemed to play counter-point.

Next time I'm listening to a shredder I'll listen out for the slower parts to see what they're doing. :guitar: 

I also liked this vid where she was pre-recording for Lewis Pragasam's "Man, Land, Struggle" (Asiabeat). It's slappy, gamey and spiritual.

^Yeah, that's groovy, and Federico is very versatile. I've seen clips where he shreds amazingly fast.

One of my favourites is Abe Laboriel Sr., (who was the bassist for the CHiPs series in the late 70s).
Here he is in 2014 getting progressively more intense, particularly from 5:00 to 9:00  :yikes:

And for anyone who wants to be reminded of that CHiPs bass part, it's here  C:-) :