Ooh yeah, Jazz Boat has a nice ring to it, Hope.  Superb!

Like a first relationship or first love which one never quite gets over, I often return to library archives. There are little quips which perhaps influenced Jamiroquai's more flutey tunes like Seven Days in Sunny June.

It's a nice sunny day here and I had a few moments during lunch break to listen to a bit of Dick Walter. They're a little slower than I would like but i guess slow is also good sometimes.

I nearly posted these in the Muzak thread, such are their easy listening attributes.

The Fat Man - Dick Walter (1975)

Pacific Coast Highway - Dick Walter (1980)

Nice, @Saulaac 🙂

Only got a brief listen as I'm at a buss stop, but Dick Walter's Fat Man sounds great. I probably prefer that to Jamiroquai. Will give it a more thorough listen when I get home 🙂

Happiness is a warm manatee

If the buses are running that sounds like the roads are open? How's the snow? We're planning to go to the Pyrenées in 3 weeks but will likely be in jeans and T-shirts. Can we borrow some of your snow?  :laughing:

Just posting here because BASS
I love this guy

Charles Berthoud is great 🙂 amazing player and fun videos.

Quote from: Saulaac on Jan 31, 2024, 10:25 PMIf the buses are running that sounds like the roads are open? How's the snow? We're planning to go to the Pyrenées in 3 weeks but will likely be in jeans and T-shirts. Can we borrow some of your snow?  :laughing:

Didn't catch this, but.. yes. We still have lots of snow. Some winters we hardly get any. This time, we got too much! It's been above zero degrees during daytime so it is melting, but it's slow.

Bus roads are top priority, so they usually get cleared and open quickly 🙂

Charles Berthoud is a great one, grindy. He's a real virtuoso. I'm not subscribed to that channel but there looks to be a huge amount of stuff on there. The thing is, there are hundreds if not thousands of great bassists past and present, so it's a question of prioritizing which rabbit hole to go down.

Recently listening to funk and RnB bassists such as Larry Graham or Abe Laboriel Snr. (who did the basslines for CHiPs), Gary King (played with Bob James), and then Prince and Jaco Pastorius... There a still loads of rock, prog and metal bassists to get through.

Quote from: Guybrush on Feb 07, 2024, 11:34 PMCharles Berthoud is great 🙂 amazing player and fun videos.

Didn't catch this, but.. yes. We still have lots of snow. Some winters we hardly get any. This time, we got too much! It's been above zero degrees during daytime so it is melting, but it's slow.

Bus roads are top priority, so they usually get cleared and open quickly 🙂

Just as an update, we're in the Pyrenées this week and the snow is not great this year. Enough to have fun in, but it is clear evidence that this mountain region no longer gets consistent sub-zero weather at 1500 metres in winter. I wonder if it's anything to do with the gulf stream which is not blowing arctic winds as far south as it has been in the past.

And for anyone interested in Jamiroquai bassists, this is a good breakdown of a few of those basslines:

Quote from: Saulaac on Feb 19, 2024, 06:52 PMCharles Berthoud is a great one, grindy. He's a real virtuoso. I'm not subscribed to that channel but there looks to be a huge amount of stuff on there. The thing is, there are hundreds if not thousands of great bassists past and present, so it's a question of prioritizing which rabbit hole to go down.

Recently listening to funk and RnB bassists such as Larry Graham or Abe Laboriel Snr. (who did the basslines for CHiPs), Gary King (played with Bob James), and then Prince and Jaco Pastorius... There a still loads of rock, prog and metal bassists to get through.

Just as an update, we're in the Pyrenées this week and the snow is not great this year. Enough to have fun in, but it is clear evidence that this mountain region no longer gets consistent sub-zero weather at 1500 metres in winter. I wonder if it's anything to do with the gulf stream which is not blowing arctic winds as far south as it has been in the past.

And for anyone interested in Jamiroquai bassists, this is a good breakdown of a few of those basslines:

Might be controversial but I honestly consider CB to be the best bassist on the planet. I couldn't name the best for any other instrument but for bass it's just him for me. He can play every genre, he can groove, he can shred, he can be heavy, he can be melodic. Pretty much every new video he puts out completely blows my mind. My only criticisms are that some of his compositions can be quite similar in structure and that some of his vids are unnecessarily gimmicky but he's a youtuber so he has to lure in the clicks.

Quote from: grindy on Feb 19, 2024, 08:38 PMMight be controversial but I honestly consider CB to be the best bassist on the planet. I couldn't name the best for any other instrument but for bass it's just him for me. He can play every genre, he can groove, he can shred, he can be heavy, he can be melodic. Pretty much every new video he puts out completely blows my mind. My only criticisms are that some of his compositions can be quite similar in structure and that some of his vids are unnecessarily gimmicky but he's a youtuber so he has to lure in the clicks.

Wow that's quite a statement, grindy! Your high praise for CB is noteworthy.  :guitar:
I should subscribe to see what he's all about. He doesn't seem to be in a regular band, but that's probably not how the young ones do it these days is it?!

I don't care all that much for his own compositions, but his skill does seem to surpass any other bass youtuber I've seen.

He doesn't play in a band as far as I know. At least I haven't seen him mention it in any if his videos.

Quote from: Saulaac on Feb 20, 2024, 11:10 PMWow that's quite a statement, grindy! Your high praise for CB is noteworthy.  :guitar:
I should subscribe to see what he's all about. He doesn't seem to be in a regular band, but that's probably not how the young ones do it these days is it?!

Yeah, he's a youtuber first and foremost. I'd love to see him in a band. In my dreams he's in a mind-blowing power trio with Louis Cole and Tim Henson.

To continue my Louis Cole fanboying, I really like the bass line in this song.
Interestingly LC doesn't actually play bass and this was the first thing he ever learned on the instrument, spending several weeks practicing playing what he wrote.

#27 Feb 22, 2024, 10:33 PM Last Edit: Feb 22, 2024, 11:07 PM by Saulaac
^That's impressive. Perhaps using some finger dexterity from his keys skills but still a wonderful groove. Transferable skills and all that!

He did a similar thing on 'Bitches' on a glamrock guitar which has a nice riff too.

Sorry to soil this thread with metal shredding bullshit but this is some badass bassing.

^ I can't really connect with it musically, but yeah it looks technically brilliant.

It sounds better at 0.75 speed. Was it sped up?