Next in my series of threads on artists that boomers listen to, Knopfler is decidedly thread worthy.

You know him from Dire Straits, but the biggest treasure trove is his extensive solo career which is teeming with gems. He's definitely one of those artists where his solo work overshadows his time in the band, even if that's not popular knowledge.

Let's share our appreciation for this artist.

He likes to write songs and stories from fictional or historical characters from other times and places. Here's Let It All Go from 2007's Kill to get Crimson which seems to be about being a painter/artist in the late 30s when world war's looming on the horizon.

Happiness is a warm manatee

I also like this song from the perspective of what I imagine is a lorry driver driving a Scottish Albion lorry.

Apparently you couldn't adjust the seats.

Sailing to Philadelphia and The Ragpicker's Dream are magnificent solo works I revisit often.

I also grabbed a pressing of Music From the Film Cal (1984) years back but have never played it. Perhaps it's due for a spin.

(I'm like this all the time.)

Quote from: Guybrush on Dec 29, 2023, 10:21 AMNext in my series of threads on artists that boomers listen to, Knopfler is decidedly thread worthy.

I feel like I'm both guilty as charged, but also not guilty. I have listened to plenty of his songs, but more often, I've been unwillingly obliged to hear them without pleasure. At one time they seemed to be everywhere in the UK, and back when CDs were new, everyone who bought a CD player also bought Brothers In Arms, which suddenly became the go-to demonstration disc of musical reproduction fidelity.

I don't know the Cal soundtrack that you mention, isb, but I used to have Knopfler's Local Hero soundtrack. When it came out I hadn't heard many mellow, Celtic-sounding guitar instrumentals and I quite liked it. These days, though, that kind of mood music would sound a little dull I should think.

A post-script on the inescapability of Dire Straits: a group of students bought me the Greatest Hits CD, and when I took it home, it became a favourite of my son's, so I heard it plenty, thank you very much. :rage:

To get lost is to learn the way.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Jan 11, 2024, 02:16 AMI feel like I'm both guilty as charged, but also not guilty. I have listened to plenty of his songs, but more often, I've been unwillingly obliged to hear them without pleasure. At one time they seemed to be everywhere in the UK, and back when CDs were new, everyone who bought a CD player also bought Brothers In Arms, which suddenly became the go-to demonstration disc of musical reproduction fidelity.

I don't know the Cal soundtrack that you mention, isb, but I used to have Knopfler's Local Hero soundtrack. When it came out I hadn't heard many mellow, Celtic-sounding guitar instrumentals and I quite liked it. These days, though, that kind of mood music would sound a little dull I should think.

A post-script on the inescapability of Dire Straits: a group of students bought me the Greatest Hits CD, and when I took it home, it became a favourite of my son's, so I heard it plenty, thank you very much. :rage:

Yes, my parents also listened to Dire Straits so my exposure wasn't always by choice. But I like them just fine, so I guess that turned out okay. Their songs are just a bit worn out by this point.

About Brothers in Arms, I feel like it's one of those albums that there's at least one of in every second hand LP shop 😄 I like it, but it's a bit boring.

Though I'm semi-sure you've long since tired of it, I'll put Tunnel of Love here as it's my favourite Dire Straits song 😁

Quote from: innerspaceboy on Jan 11, 2024, 12:03 AMSailing to Philadelphia and The Ragpicker's Dream are magnificent solo works I revisit often.

I also grabbed a pressing of Music From the Film Cal (1984) years back but have never played it. Perhaps it's due for a spin.

Sailing to Philadelphia got very worn out on my car stereo in the 2000s, so it's not an album I listen to much anymore. However, it is great and the title track duet with James Taylor is some of his finest output for sure.

I'm actually not that familiar with the Ragpicker's Dream, though I'll admit I wasn't a huge fan of the Why Aye Man single. Could you share a favourite or two from there?

He's a great guitarist and I love the first Dire Straits album. The later albums are okay at best. His solo stuff does nothing for me but I guess it's just not my style of music.

Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 11, 2024, 10:55 PMI'm actually not that familiar with the Ragpicker's Dream, though I'll admit I wasn't a huge fan of the Why Aye Man single. Could you share a favourite or two from there?

Why Aye Man is my favorite and most memorable track from that album. Sailing is the superior of the two records.

(I'm like this all the time.)

Here's another favourite from Get Lucky which btw is a good album.

Monteleone, a tribute to an instrument maker. If I remember correctly, he'd made a guitar for Mark and Mark commented he didn't feel worthy playing it.