#195 May 21, 2024, 05:32 PM Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 07:25 PM by Mindy
Quote from: Psy-Fi on May 21, 2024, 01:10 PM"As always, should you or any of your IM Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions."

These Americans* that got caught in Congo, had American passports on them!  :laughing:

https://x.com/mindys_stuff_

mindy_meme_agency

Big fan of the Internet
Kindness is the highest form of intelligence

Russia begins nuclear drills in an apparent warning to West over Ukraine

QuoteRussia's military on Tuesday began drills involving tactical nuclear weapons that were announced by Russian authorities earlier this month in an apparent warning to senior Western officials who had spoken about the possibility of deeper involvement in the war in Ukraine.

BREAKING: UK General Election set for July 4th.

@Lisnaholic what do you think mate?

@Marie Monday are you eligible to vote?

I think I will try to avoid too much coverage this time. I felt doom and gloom in 15, 17 and 19.

Only God knows.

I'm not eligible, only for the local ones :(

Quote from: Marie Monday on May 22, 2024, 07:56 PMI'm not eligible, only for the local ones :(

Will think of you when I'm voting against the Tories then.

👍

Only God knows.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on May 26, 2024, 01:34 PMSunak's plan to make 18-year-olds do national service grabs attention on UK election trail

Basically everyone supporting this will have been too young or not even born to have actually done National Service but want to see kids do it because they are spiteful, old cunts. Do as I say not as I do.

Only God knows.

Thanks for asking my opinion, jimmy jazz :thumb:

First up, I'd say it's a good decision to call an election now rather than drag speculation about an election date out for months.

Second, I suspect the recent Tory record (i.e. since and including David Cameron) has been so bad that Sunak's party doesn't stand a chance: it's just a question of how much they lose by.

Third, I think people will be voting Labour, mainly as a protest vote: they don't want Tories so they'll go with Starmer. I hope the voters are better informed than me, because tbh I don't know anything about the guy.

Finally, I think Britain has some deep-seated economic woes that nobody in politics really knows how to fix. I've been watching some depressing YouTube vids about economic downturn, abandoned High Streets, increasing poverty and NHS burden and other stuff: no easy solutions in sight, and most things made worse by Brexit.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on May 26, 2024, 01:34 PMSunak's plan to make 18-year-olds do national service grabs attention on UK election trail

Quote from: jimmy jazz on May 26, 2024, 09:56 PMBasically everyone supporting this will have been too young or not even born to have actually done National Service but want to see kids do it because they are spiteful, old cunts. Do as I say not as I do.

^ :laughing: A good, honest, forthright opinion, J-man ! I bet most people under, what, 30, will think the same.

I was really surprised to see this startling plan, which is going to be really unpopular. I can't pretend to tap into the thinking of young people in the UK, but I'm sure the idea of National Service is in totally the opposite direction.
I hope I'm not one of the spiteful people you mention, jimmy jazz, but there could be upsides to a scheme of this kind. Slight easing of unemployment, and the chance for people to get vocational training, for example.

QuoteUnder the plan, a small minority of 18-year-olds — 30,000 out of an estimated 700,000 — would spend 12 months in the military, working in areas such as logistics or cyber defense. The rest would spend one weekend a month working for charities, community groups, or organizations such as hospitals, the police and the fire service.

Sunak said the program would help "create a shared sense of purpose among our young people and a renewed sense of pride in our country."

It remains unclear how it will be made compulsory. Home Secretary James Cleverly said no one would be forced to serve in the military.

People's gut reaction is to assume the worst, I think: compulsory square-bashing of the kind we see in American boot-camp movies, but it might not be like that. Here in Mexico there's a National Service requirement, that goes a bit like this:
Every male teenager goes to an interview in a recruitment centre and picks out a ball from a bingo-type machine: the lucky ones get white and are free to go, the guys who selected black have to do some light soldierly-type stuff on alternate Saturday afternoons. From what I've heard, most of the time is spent sweeping and painting - but that's the low-budget, low-tech, go-through-the-motions Mexican version. Sunak's idea sounds more serious, but it could also be more productive, but who cares: I don't think it'll ever happen. It's just going to damn the Tories even more in the eyes of the electorate. 

[/quote]

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

@Lisnaholic no you could never be one of the spiteful old farts.

In fact the country would be in a better place if the mature voters were more like you.

Quotethere could be upsides to a scheme of this kind.

In theory yes. In practice, no. Not with this lot and their track record.

Only God knows.

^Thanks, jimmy jazz ! :thumb:
Quote from: jimmy jazz on May 27, 2024, 07:02 PMIn theory yes. In practice, no. Not with this lot and their track record.

Yeah, you're right. To be of benefit, a scheme like that would need careful planning and thoughtful implementation - which the Tories have shown themselves to be incapable of.

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on May 29, 2024, 02:23 PMFrance's Macron urges a green light for Ukraine to strike targets inside Russia

"Let's give Ukraine billions in weapons money! But please don't use it in a way to benefit themselves on the battlefield!??" lol

https://x.com/mindys_stuff_

mindy_meme_agency

Big fan of the Internet
Kindness is the highest form of intelligence

Quote from: jimmy jazz on May 22, 2024, 06:01 PMBREAKING: UK General Election set for July 4th.

I think I will try to avoid too much coverage this time. I felt doom and gloom in 15, 17 and 19.

What are the political parties in the UK?

I've seen you guys mention Tory and Labour. How are those two similar to Democrats and Republicans in the states?

Also is there more than two parties?

I was this cool the whole time.