Quote from: DJChameleon on May 30, 2024, 02:18 PMWhat are the political parties in the UK?

I've seen you guys mention Tory and Labour. How are those two similar to Democrats and Republicans in the states?

Also is there more than two parties?

The Tories are right wing. They'd be closest to the Republicans over there. But they obviously aren't the same. They're the party of the British elite, aristocracy, posh people etc. Social class is most linked to this party.

Labour are supposed to be left of centre, but many would argue there isn't much between Labour and Tory these days. They're supposed to be the party for the working class, for progressive politics and that sort of thing.

Liberal Democrats have historically been the third biggest party and are supposed to be centre/centre-left. Since 2010 they've declined a lot. They're known now for being very pro-European, obviously trying to win voters back since Brexit.

Scottish National Party - as the name says. Nationalist party in Scotland. Pretty much running things in Scotland but even their cult of followers is starting to see through them. I expect them to lose a load of seats at this election.

Reform - Basically an alternative right wing party post-Brexit. Nigel Farage started this one.

Green Party - left wing. Very focused on green politics (obviously), LGBT issues, cannabis legalisation, refugees etc. They only ever get one seat and that's in Brighton.

DUP - discussed these with you before, they are the biggest unionist party in Northern Ireland. Unionist in this context means keeping Northern Ireland in the United Kingdom.

Sinn Fein - Northern Irish nationalist party. Several of its members and politicians used to be in the IRA. They usually get about 5 seats but don't take them up in Westminster.

Plaid Cymru - Welsh nationalist party. Had a bit of momentum off the back of the 2014 Scottish independence referendum but you don't hear of them any more.

There are many other minor parties but these are the main ones and the only ones that you need to know. The only ones with a chance of actually winning are Tory and Labour.

Only God knows.

^ That's a great description of the parties, jimmy jazz ! Thanks for reminding me of all the options and factions that exist in UK politics. May I just add a graphic that gives a quick idea of the relative size and importance of the different parties, as they were after the last election ?

(...and just in case it's unclear to anyone, "Tories" is the informal name for The Conservative Party )

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

South Korea pledges to retaliate against North Korea over its launch of garbage-filled balloons over border  :poop:

QuoteSouth Korean officials didn't say what retaliatory steps they would take. But many observers say South Korea will likely resume front-line loudspeaker broadcasts into North Korea that include criticism of its abysmal human rights situation, world news and K-pop songs.

Broadcasting K-pop songs is cruel and unusual punishment.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on May 30, 2024, 02:40 PMThe Tories are right wing. They'd be closest to the Republicans over there. But they obviously aren't the same. They're the party of the British elite, aristocracy, posh people etc. Social class is most linked to this party.

Labour are supposed to be left of centre, but many would argue there isn't much between Labour and Tory these days. They're supposed to be the party for the working class, for progressive politics and that sort of thing.

Liberal Democrats have historically been the third biggest party and are supposed to be centre/centre-left. Since 2010 they've declined a lot. They're known now for being very pro-European, obviously trying to win voters back since Brexit.

Scottish National Party - as the name says. Nationalist party in Scotland. Pretty much running things in Scotland but even their cult of followers is starting to see through them. I expect them to lose a load of seats at this election.

Reform - Basically an alternative right wing party post-Brexit. Nigel Farage started this one.

Green Party - left wing. Very focused on green politics (obviously), LGBT issues, cannabis legalisation, refugees etc. They only ever get one seat and that's in Brighton.

DUP - discussed these with you before, they are the biggest unionist party in Northern Ireland. Unionist in this context means keeping Northern Ireland in the United Kingdom.

Sinn Fein - Northern Irish nationalist party. Several of its members and politicians used to be in the IRA. They usually get about 5 seats but don't take them up in Westminster.

Plaid Cymru - Welsh nationalist party. Had a bit of momentum off the back of the 2014 Scottish independence referendum but you don't hear of them any more.

There are many other minor parties but these are the main ones and the only ones that you need to know. The only ones with a chance of actually winning are Tory and Labour.

Thank you big JJ for the thorough breakdown of the different groups. I had no idea about some of the smaller ones.

I was this cool the whole time.

https://x.com/mindys_stuff_

June 19th, 2024
mindy_meme_agency

Big fan of the Internet
Kindness is the highest form of intelligence

Quote from: Mindy on Jun 03, 2024, 08:55 AM

R.I.P. to the 37 candidates who didn't make it through their campaigns for public office.

Mexican candidate assassinations hit grim record ahead of Sunday's election

Congrats to the winners and survivors.

^ HaHa ! Yeah, sometimes being a presidential candidate in Mexico is like walking around with a target painted on your back. :(

Still, congrats to Mexico for electing a woman president:-

Quote... as Americas Society/Council of the Americas President and CEO Susan Segal noted, "This is great news, as studies show that women are more likely to build consensus and advocate for a socially inclusive agenda."

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

June 19th, 2024
mindy_meme_agency

Big fan of the Internet

@Lisnaholic

Tories are 25/1 to win the election. I don't think I've ever seen the odds that long.

Labour are 1/20!

I know a lot can change in five weeks but surely it's done now. Labour might be headed for a bigger majority than Blair got in 1997. Tories might not even be the opposition party.

Only God knows.

June 19th, 2024
mindy_meme_agency

Big fan of the Internet

Woman held after milkshake thrown at Nigel Farage

He should look on the bright side.

At least he's not running for public office in Mexico.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Jun 05, 2024, 09:25 PMWoman held after milkshake thrown at Nigel Farage

He should look on the bright side.

At least he's not running for public office in Mexico.

This whole thing is appalling including the pathetic witch hunt for the girl who was wrongly accused of doing this.

Hope she manages to sue every single person who accused her.

Only God knows.