I'm talking about TV appearances, radio performances / sessions. Stuff recorded especially for youtube channels, in store appearances, Guest appearances on roadshows. All that sort of thing. NOT songs from full live shows.

I will allow performances at live shows where there is a guest artist involved, however.

Deep Purple Mk.1 Play Hush At The Playboy Mansion 1969

Singer Rod Evans, Bassist Nick Simper and Deep Purple's entire wardrobe department were fired shortly after this gig.

Nirvana Play Lithium On The Jonathan Ross Show 1991
What?

Beastie Boys Play Sabotage On Letterman 1994

No words, just fucking great.

Public Image LTD Play Poptones and Careering On TOGWT 1980.

I always ummed and ahhed over P.I.L.
Then one day I bought the best of Whistle Test DVD which had this on and I finally got it.

More to come later....

I'll post some more later today but for now check this Tangerine Dream TV spot from 1976.
Embedded video doesn't work so you gotta go to YouTube itself unfortunately.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Suburban Placeholder? on Oct 22, 2023, 06:44 PM
Public Image LTD Play Poptones and Careering On TOGWT 1980.

I always ummed and ahhed over P.I.L.
Then one day I bought the best of Whistle Test DVD which had this on and I finally got it.

I'll have to check out all the other performances posted, including Mrs. Waffles's Tangerine Dream, but for now...

A thousand times yes on PIL and that OGWT performance.  I'm still umming and ahhing over it, even though I've seen it scores of times over the years.  "Poptones" is simultaneously such a beautiful and disturbing song.

And guitar nerd-wise, dig Levene's cool Travis Bean Wedge and Wobble's Ampeg scroll bass - and that tone8)

^ Yes, Johnny's stylin' there in that coat.  I have a red coat, not loose/oversized exactly like his, but whenever I wear it I always think of him on OGWT.  Too bad he takes if off for "Careering", lol. 

Speaking of "Careering"...the white noise/steamlike sounds Levene squeaks from his Prophet and Wobble's little dance are so cool. 

#5 Oct 23, 2023, 02:52 AM Last Edit: Oct 23, 2023, 02:57 AM by ribbons
Talking Heads on Old Grey Whistle Test 1978

Don't Worry About The Government

Psycho Killer

The Ramones rehearsing in Arturo Vega's loft 1976
(this is my son's favorite thing ever on YouTube and he got me hooked  8); somehow the bad quality enhances it for me.
The Ramones are so funny because they're dead serious.)

00:00 Loudmouth
02:04 Beat On The Brat
04:47 Listen To My Heart
06:48 53rd & 3rd
09:23 Blitzkrieg Bop
11:35 Judy Is A Punk
13:05 California Sun
15:03 Today Your Love Tomorrow The World

Early Ramones performances are so fun and energizing to watch, thanks @ribbons !

I've probably posted this somewhere before, but here's the legend Klaus Schulze performing on German TV with his army of synths, shag carpet and spiderlike fingers. This video blew my mind when I first saw it back in college.

Here's some banging footage of early ELP, Keith Emerson going absolutely nuts on the Moog fills me with so much synth nerd joy.
Darn, another video where embedding is disabled. Sorry about that, it's watchable on YT.

#7 Oct 25, 2023, 07:52 PM Last Edit: Oct 25, 2023, 07:55 PM by ribbons
Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Oct 25, 2023, 12:14 PMEarly Ramones performances are so fun and energizing to watch, thanks @ribbons !

I've probably posted this somewhere before, but here's the legend Klaus Schulze performing on German TV with his army of synths, shag carpet and spiderlike fingers. This video blew my mind when I first saw it back in college.

Here's some banging footage of early ELP, Keith Emerson going absolutely nuts on the Moog fills me with so much synth nerd joy.
Darn, another video where embedding is disabled. Sorry about that, it's watchable on YT.

@Mrs. Waffles, that Klaus Schulze video is awesome and I get a kick out of comments like "Don't get real clear picture of the modular guess Moog 55 with additional cabinets, Micro and Mini moogs, polymoog on the bottom, Arp2600 to the left,Arp Odyssey to the right."  Synth aficionados are so hooked on the gear.   ;D

That ELP Beat-Club footage is my favorite of them ever ever EVER!  In my opinion, no other keyboardist, including the other greats, ever came close to Keith Emerson because in addition to his technical prowess he had amazing feel.  Greg Lake's vocals are so amazing there as well - he always had such a stately character to his voice.  Thanks for posting, Mrs. Waffles!   :love:

#8 Oct 25, 2023, 07:59 PM Last Edit: Oct 25, 2023, 09:11 PM by ribbons Reason: spelling
Quote from: Suburban Placeholder? on Oct 22, 2023, 06:44 PM
Beastie Boys Play Sabotage On Letterman 1994

No words, just fucking great.

I never really got into the Beastie Boys before, but whoa - that was much more incredible than I could have expected!  A huge thumbs up on that one. :D

Quote from: ribbons on Oct 25, 2023, 07:52 PM@Mrs. Waffles, that Klaus Schulze video is awesome and I get a kick out of comments like "Don't get real clear picture of the modular guess Moog 55 with additional cabinets, Micro and Mini moogs, polymoog on the bottom, Arp2600 to the left,Arp Odyssey to the right."  Synth aficionados are so hooked on the gear.   ;D

That ELP Beat-Club footage is my favorite of them ever ever EVER!  In my opinion, no other keyboardist, including the other greats, ever came close to Keith Emerson because in addition to his technical prowess he had amazing feel.  Greg Lake's vocals are so amazing there as well - he always had such a stately character to his voice.  Thanks for posting, Mrs. Waffles!   :love:

Glad you enjoyed! We synth nerds do love our gear spotting, hehe. And the ELP clip is probably my favorite video of them too, though the California Jam footage is up there too.

Yep, the Cal Jam performance is great as well!  I was thinking about posting Cal Jam footage but I think Suburban is discouraging live "concert" footage here.  Cal Jam a/k/a the concert in which Greg Lake chews gum appealingly, sings appealingly and plays bass and and acoustic guitar appealingly, all at the same time LOL. :love:

Might be my favourite blues performance ever. I assume this is from some documentary but not sure.

Ooo that Beastie Boys Sabotage video is something I've also returned to a few times as its just so great. And I adore Talking Heads and Ramones, what fun!

When faced with this question now, the only thing I could come up with is Karen Mantler being a guest on some radio program and playing Business is Bad. She's so perfectly her weird self.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: grindy on Oct 25, 2023, 10:29 PMMight be my favourite blues performance ever. I assume this is from some documentary but not sure.

I believe that is footage from Copenhagen television from the American Folk & Blues Festival which toured Europe in 1967.

Skip James is my favorite blues artist.  He had a very idiosyncratic style on guitar using open D minor and E minor pentatonic tunings, which gave his work a haunting effect.  I like his piano playing as well, which was equally idiosyncratic, especially rhythmically. 

Many years ago I saw the marble index documentary about Nico. At the very end of it, you have John Cale playing Frozen Warnings.

Just him in a big room with a piano. I thought it was a great way to end the documentary.

Happiness is a warm manatee