I've always thought and certainly continue to think that video game music is sometimes better than most other music out there. That may be a bit of a stretch but it's meant to make a point. I love video game music and I find myself listening to entire soundtracks from time to time just because of how good they are. Not gonna lie, I've been listening to a ton of Pokemon music lately and it just put me in a mood to listen to a bunch more. So, post some of your favorites!

I'll start with this one:

I'm a huge fan of the Donkey Kong Country soundtracks.

I love how this one is basically just new age music. The SNES sound chip has such a lush sound for that kind of music, this would never work on, say, Genesis.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Purely for nostalgic reasons, I don't even remember if I particularly liked this stage but I know the music used to hit for me.

I love this Castlevania 4 song so much that I had it as a ringtone for a bit. Batty put me onto this one.

I was this cool the whole time.

I finished Pokemon Scarlet last night and this is officially my new favorite video game track probably ever. This is easily the best track in any Pokemon game probably ever. And I mean that sincerely.

As a franchise, I still think Sonic has the best soundtracks. Some of which I'm sure I've posted before, but heck, I'll take the opportunity to post them again. The games aren't even always good, but the music almost always SLAPS:

Quote from: Key on Oct 12, 2023, 04:58 PMSonic Frontiers music is S tier

I gotta say, I was really surprised when I did the big boss fights (as Super Sonic), and these super hype metalcore songs start playing. I'm admittedly much more of house junkie and electronica fan than a metalhead though, so when this particular track started playing, it just hit me: "Goddamn, I still love this franchise"

I absolutely love the music from Frontiers. It's also a really fun game if you just want a genuine Sonic game. They did a really nice job on it.

Quote from: Key on Oct 12, 2023, 05:57 PMI absolutely love the music from Frontiers. It's also a really fun game if you just want a genuine Sonic game. They did a really nice job on it.

I wasn't as big on the game as I was on the music. The worlds felt a little plastic and lifeless. The pop-in was bad. And the art direction didn't really scream Sonic to me. Oddly, while previous entries were too bubbly, carefree, and juvenile in tone, this one felt almost too depressing in tone. It was a strange heelturn for sure. All that said, I didn't have a bad time with it, and I think they could truly make it great with the right amount of time and money in a sequel.

compared to a lot of other 3D sonic games is something I probably should've prefaced that post with  :laughing:

it certainly isn't perfect but i just shudder thinking about sonic 06

My own personal favourite video game composer is Michael Land 🙂 he made music that was funny, catchy and captured the perfect mood for the Monkey Island games. That music is a huge influence on me.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Ooo, today I saw this. What a great cover! 😲

My favorite song from my favorite 3D Mario game - so chill, and yet very mysterious and foreboding:

^Now you're just being weird, @SGR 😄

Me and my daughter have been playing a lot of Minecraft lately which has such a great score by C418.

One of our favourites is the song Taswell. It is pretty chill.

It also has a long intro, so feel free to skip to about 3:40 where it gets catchy 🙂

Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 04, 2024, 01:19 AM^Now you're just being weird, @SGR 😄

You're not a fan, I take it?  :laughing:

Here's a game you might remember. I think I've mentioned it on MB before - Titanic: Adventure Out of Time, an old point and click adventure game released on Windows back in 1996. One of my all time favorite games - never could beat the damn thing as a kid and finally beat it a couple years ago as an adult who was more resourceful and cunning - I always thought as a kid that the point of the game was to stop the Titanic from hitting the iceberg, but the actual point of the game was to prevent the assassination of Franz Ferdinand and prevent the events that would lead to Hitler's rise and World War 2 (yes, really) - and the music for the game is actually rather haunting. One of my favorite soundtracks ever I think, especially for what they had to work with at the time.

And of course, the sparsely populated boat with these ominous songs - and the way they recorded the actors/actresses for the game makes it even creepier:

Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 04, 2024, 01:19 AMMe and my daughter have been playing a lot of Minecraft lately which has such a great score by C418.

One of our favourites is the song Taswell. It is pretty chill.

It also has a long intro, so feel free to skip to about 3:40 where it gets catchy 🙂

Gotta say, I've never gotten into Minecraft, but I get the appeal. That song is tight as hell though - very chill piece. With games, I'm a very goal-driven person - so games that allow me a lot of freedom to do whatever without clear cut direction (or rather, indication) on what the next objective is don't really do much for me - games like Minecraft, Animal Crossing, Stardew Valley, Harvest Moon, and even most open world games just aren't usually my cup of tea (Elden Ring being a big exception).