Velvet Underground – White Light/White Heat

X – White Girl

White Denim – A Place To Start

Genesis - White Mountain

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

It's along time since I've played any Cat Stevens or Genesis, so thanks for those reminders, Mrs. Waffles and ribbons. I especially enjoyed the Cat Stevens song. :thumb:

Of course! White Light/White Heat ! Another song in the category of "Why didn't I think of that straight away?"

To get lost is to learn the way.

In 1942 this would've been everybody's first choice, I'm sure: a song that had a unique place in the hearts of so many overseas servicemen:-

The White Cliffs of Dover are at the English Channel's narrowest point, and (unlike the rest of the UK) can actually be seen from France on a clear day. Also they sent a message to airmen and soldiers being shipped home from the war, "You're nearly home!", so they were an inspired choice for this song, which has prob reduced more people to tears than any other in recent history.

#94 Oct 05, 2023, 04:52 PM Last Edit: Oct 05, 2023, 04:59 PM by Meatwad
Whitesnake - Is This Love ?

Album : The White Room

KLF - 3AM Eternal

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Oct 05, 2023, 05:40 AM
Genesis - White Mountain
Ah now how did I, the Genesis fanatic, miss that one??? Do we have a banghead icon? Ah, we do. Excellent. OW! :banghead:

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Oct 05, 2023, 04:43 PMIn 1942 this would've been everybody's first choice, I'm sure: a song that had a unique place in the hearts of so many overseas servicemen:-

The White Cliffs of Dover are at the English Channel's narrowest point, and (unlike the rest of the UK) can actually be seen from France on a clear day. Also they sent a message to airmen and soldiers being shipped home from the war, "You're nearly home!", so they were an inspired choice for this song, which has prob reduced more people to tears than any other in recent history.

Yes and I wrote a short story featuring many aspects of that called "Bluebird Down" if anyone wants to read it hint, hint...
:shycouch:
I was rather proud of it at the time, as it's probably one of the few of my almost 100 short stories which features no fantasty, science fiction or horror element (other than the horror of war I guess). A big achievement for me.

Quote from: Trollheart on Oct 05, 2023, 05:12 PMYes and I wrote a short story featuring many aspects of that called "Bluebird Down" if anyone wants to read it hint, hint...
I was rather proud of it at the time, as it's probably one of the few of my almost 100 short stories which features no fantasty, science fiction or horror element (other than the horror of war I guess). A big achievement for me.

I'd very much like to read it.   :shycouch:

@Lisnaholic, thanks for the snapshot history lesson and map of the White Cliffs.  I have some family in the town of Hythe, not far from Dover; and one elderly relative who was evacuated as a child in WWII whose devotion to Vera is second only to the late Queen.   :)

Quote from: Trollheart on Oct 05, 2023, 05:12 PMAh now how did I, the Genesis fanatic, miss that one??? Do we have a banghead icon? Ah, we do. Excellent. OW! :banghead:

Haha, when I posted that I realized it'd been too long since I listened to Trespass as a whole. So I put it on while I was dusting the living room furniture and man that album rules. Probably my second or third favorite Genesis album yet sometimes I forget just how good it is.

Average White Band - Pick Up the Pieces

I was going to be a goof and post "Play That Funky Music White Boy", but apparently that song is actually just called "Play That Funky Music", so I went with a different white man funk song, haha.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Oct 05, 2023, 04:10 PMOf course! White Light/White Heat ! Another song in the category of "Why didn't I think of that straight away?"

^ Well, this goes into my category of "Why didn't I think of that straight away?"  I am reminded here that Jack Bruce is one of my all-time favorite vocalists and bass players.  A musician's musician; and I admire singer-bassists in general as it's somewhat difficult to sing and play bass simultaneously.

Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal

Folky, Rocky and Jazzy.   Frazzy.

Michael White - In The Silence

Quote from: Trollheart on Oct 05, 2023, 05:12 PMYes and I wrote a short story featuring many aspects of that called "Bluebird Down" if anyone wants to read it hint, hint...

Good title, Trollheart! I'd like to read it too, so if you get a PM on the subject, please don't click "Report This Sender" !

Quote from: ribbons on Oct 05, 2023, 06:50 PMI have some family in the town of Hythe, not far from Dover; and one elderly relative who was evacuated as a child in WWII whose devotion to Vera is second only to the late Queen.  :)

Thanks, ribbons. I didn't know you had family in England. Hythe is surely a quiet, peaceful place: I don't think I've been there myself, although I once stayed in the nearby town of Rye.

Quote from: Saulaac on Oct 10, 2023, 12:34 AMFolky, Rocky and Jazzy.  Frazzy.

Michael White - In The Silence

Nice description, nice track ! He's someone I'll be checking out later. Thanks, Saulaac :thumb:

Haha! I remember that Pick Up The Pieces song, Mrs. Waffles, and also the band's clever logo.

I feel that someone should be repeatedly, tediously, obsessively repping Captain Beefheart in this colours thread, and it looks like it will have to be me. This time it's one of the Captain's slighter songs, but with something tasty going on with the harmonica part and the wailing outro:-

#104 Oct 10, 2023, 06:26 PM Last Edit: Oct 10, 2023, 07:03 PM by ribbons Reason: double posted quote
Quote from: Lisnaholic on Oct 10, 2023, 02:01 AMThanks, ribbons. I didn't know you had family in England. Hythe is surely a quiet, peaceful place: I don't think I've been there myself, although I once stayed in the nearby town of Rye.

Yes Lisna, Hythe is very peaceful – I think all the Cinque Ports are.  My second and third cousins live there.  Last time we visited Hythe was when my son was a child, and we took a ride on the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch miniature railway, which he was ecstatic about since he was a Thomas the Tank Engine fan at the time.  :)

Rye is such a beautiful, historic town.  We actually took a day trip there while visiting Hythe – and I loved the architecture and cobbled streets in the town center.  I was fangirling over the fact that my hero Paul McCartney's farm was in proximity, in Peasmarsh.  Unfortunately, Paul didn't invite me over – but I did get to see a bunch of oast houses (which I have a thing for, for some reason).