#105 Oct 10, 2023, 06:34 PM Last Edit: Oct 10, 2023, 06:42 PM by ribbons
Quote from: Lisnaholic on Oct 10, 2023, 03:29 PMNice description, nice track ! He's someone I'll be checking out later. Thanks, Saulaac :thumb:

Haha! I remember that Pick Up The Pieces song, Mrs. Waffles, and also the band's clever logo.

I feel that someone should be repeatedly, tediously, obsessively repping Captain Beefheart in this colours thread, and it looks like it will have to be me. This time it's one of the Captain's slighter songs, but with something tasty going on with the harmonica part and the wailing outro:-

Looks like @Saulaac is increasing our vocabulary with a snazzy new adjective.   8)

I also love Pick Up The Pieces.

@Lisnaholic I'm glad you're repping Beefheart and that's a cool track.  "She serves me flowers and yams, and in the night when I'm full she brings me white jam."  I was actually thinking of Safe As Milk throughout the white theme here.

Quote from: SGR on Oct 10, 2023, 02:38 AMThe Fall - White Lightning

I had no idea The Fall covered it!  Had to think for a minute before I recognized it.   8)

George's original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBGjogpjvi0

Quote from: ribbons on Oct 10, 2023, 06:59 PMI had no idea The Fall covered it!  Had to think for a minute before I recognized it.   8)

George's original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBGjogpjvi0

Yup! Mark E Smith was actually a big country fan. Keeping with the theme, here's a Merle Haggard cover The Fall also recorded.

Cool, @SGR!  I actually like that more than Merle's original.

Which reminds me of another *white line* song...

Grandmaster Flash & Melle Mel - White Lines (Don't Do It)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52AyzlxMyts

#109 Oct 12, 2023, 03:53 PM Last Edit: Oct 12, 2023, 03:58 PM by Lisnaholic
Quote from: ribbons on Oct 10, 2023, 06:26 PMYes Lisna, Hythe is very peaceful – I think all the Cinque Ports are.  My second and third cousins live there.  Last time we visited Hythe was when my son was a child, and we took a ride on the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch miniature railway, which he was ecstatic about since he was a Thomas the Tank Engine fan at the time.  :)

Rye is such a beautiful, historic town.  We actually took a day trip there while visiting Hythe – and I loved the architecture and cobbled streets in the town center.  I was fangirling over the fact that my hero Paul McCartney's farm was in proximity, in Peasmarsh.  Unfortunately, Paul didn't invite me over – but I did get to see a bunch of oast houses (which I have a thing for, for some reason).

Thanks for sharing those memories of your stay in that area, ribbons! I was only in Rye for a week, during my early teens, but came away very impressed. I also went on that railway, :), and remember the steep old streets of Rye, and the oast houses which are very striking, especially in the setting of those flat marshlands.

Quote from: ribbons on Oct 05, 2023, 07:04 PMFleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal

^ I'm still catching up on all the "White" songs that've been posted here, but I really liked the beautiful choral start to this Fleet Foxes track. :thumb:

And here's an album that can only appear here as an unofficial entry, thanks to the fans who invented its name :-

To get lost is to learn the way.

I always found it kind of funny when bands drop a self-titled album when they're many albums into their career. I wonder if the Beatles were the first to do that.

I'm sure in the days before Wikipedia and such it was harder to figure out what order a band's records came out in. Like, Motley Crue's self titled album is their sixth, but being a self titled I can see someone getting confused and thinking it's their debut. And then you get stuff like Van Halen III, which did not come out right after II but actually like 20 years later with quite a few albums in between.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Oct 12, 2023, 03:53 PMThanks for sharing those memories of your stay in that area, ribbons! I was only in Rye for a week, during my early teens, but came away very impressed. I also went on that railway, :), and remember the steep old streets of Rye, and the oast houses which are very striking, especially in the setting of those flat marshlands.

Lisna, thank you for sharing your memories of Rye!  I'm jealous that you stayed there for a week - we were there for only one day.  Even so, on leaving Rye I remember wishing to live there if I could (maybe in a converted oast house. :D  I love the oasts' conical roofs and the cowls sort of gently bending.  I agree that they are stunning on the landscape.).

And you also rode on the adorable mini RH&DR!  :D   We hopped off at Dungeness and had fish and chips at The Pilot (pub), then spent a while exploring the rocky shingle expanse, the cottages and lighthouse - and the ghostly defunct nuclear power stations.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Oct 12, 2023, 03:53 PMAnd here's an album that can only appear here in an unofficial capacity, thanks to the fans who invented its name :-

:D  A numbered one, at that!  I have a (used) reprint of the White Album, on white vinyl. 

On a somewhat related (but equally unofficial) note, I've always liked the concept of Yoko Ono's all-white chess set, titled Play It By Trust.   :)

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Oct 12, 2023, 04:17 PMI always found it kind of funny when bands drop a self-titled album when they're many albums into their career. I wonder if the Beatles were the first to do that.

I'm sure in the days before Wikipedia and such it was harder to figure out what order a band's records came out in. Like, Motley Crue's self titled album is their sixth, but being a self titled I can see someone getting confused and thinking it's their debut. And then you get stuff like Van Halen III, which did not come out right after II but actually like 20 years later with quite a few albums in between.

That's a great question, Mrs. Waffles - I don't know whether The Beatles were the first to do that.   ???   The Velvet Underground released a s/t album with their third release; and Fleetwood Mac released a s/t when Buckingham and Nicks joined (and that was fairly far into their discography).

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Oct 12, 2023, 04:17 PMI always found it kind of funny when bands drop a self-titled album when they're many albums into their career. I wonder if the Beatles were the first to do that.

^ I've never really thought about that Mrs. Waffles, but now you mention it, I think I mildly disapprove: it seems a little too self-aware or something. I think self-titled albums should be confined to debut albums, where everyone expects them to be - and even then, strictly speaking, it's not a good idea. It gives the impression that the record label is saying, "These guys will only be around for one album, so it doesn't need a proper name." Imagine if that happened in the literary world: Stephen King's first novel, "Stephen King."

Another band who went through a kind of minimalist mid-career identity moment were The Byrds, I believe, who considered but rejected "The Byrds" as the title of their ninth (?)album. They opted for "Untitled" instead, and because I really like the album, I'm going to say that it's an ok title.

Quote from: ribbons on Oct 12, 2023, 06:15 PMLisna, thank you for sharing your memories of Rye!  I'm jealous that you stayed there for a week - we were there for only one day.  Even so, on leaving Rye I remember wishing to live there if I could (maybe in a converted oast house. :D  I love the oasts' conical roofs and the cowls sort of gently bending.  I agree that they are stunning on the landscape.).

And you also rode on the adorable mini RH&DR!  :D  We hopped off at Dungeness and had fish and chips at The Pilot (pub), then spent a while exploring the rocky shingle expanse, the cottages and lighthouse - and the ghostly defunct nuclear power stations.

It sounds like you packed a lot of fun things to do into your one day, ribbons! TBH I don't remember much of what I did there: walked around with my brother a lot, listened to a pirate radio station in the evenings, and hung around in a deserted playground near our guest house. We were both at that particular age: still prepared to go on the swings, but far too grown up to show any genuine enjoyment in doing so. :laughing: 

Quote:D  A numbered one, at that!  I have a (used) reprint of the White Album, on white vinyl. 

Not my own copy, ribbons. That white vinyl one must look cool, with presumably the apple label in its centre.

QuoteOn a somewhat related (but equally unofficial) note, I've always liked the concept of Yoko Ono's all-white chess set, titled Play It By Trust:)

^ Never heard of that ! A very clever idea from Yoko. :clap: Thanks for sharing it, ribbons.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Oct 12, 2023, 06:49 PMIt sounds like you packed a lot of fun things to do into your one day, ribbons! TBH I don't remember much of what I did there: walked around with my brother a lot, listened to a pirate radio station in the evenings, and hung around in a deserted playground near our guest house. We were both at that particular age: still prepared to go on the swings, but far too grown up to show any genuine enjoyment in doing so. :laughing:

We didn't pack all that into one day, Lisna (perish the thought, lol!).  We spent the one day in Rye.  Otherwise we were based in Hythe for several days, and rode the mini railway from Hythe to Dungeness on one of those days. :) I can just envision you and your brother hanging out in Rye and listening to pirate radio in the evenings - that's a nice mental image (especially to an Anglophile like me).  And swings are always allowed! 

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Oct 12, 2023, 06:49 PMNot my own copy, ribbons. That white vinyl one must look cool, with presumably the apple label in its centre.

Actually, my copy has the purple Capital label. I would prefer the Apple - green on one side, cross-section on the other...and I love the look of the apple as it revolves.  :) 

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Oct 12, 2023, 06:49 PM^ Never heard of that ! A very clever idea from Yoko. :clap: Thanks for sharing it, ribbons.

A game in which there are no winners or losers - only collaborators. ☮

^ Thanks, ribbons  :love:

Yes, a pity your album doesn't have the Beatles' original design label.

QuoteA game in which there are no winners or losers - only collaborators. ☮

^ LOL - especially the little emoji that you found from I don't know where !

Quote from: ribbons on Oct 12, 2023, 06:20 PMThat's a great question, Mrs. Waffles - I don't know whether The Beatles were the first to do that.  ???  The Velvet Underground released a s/t album with their third release; and Fleetwood Mac released a s/t when Buckingham and Nicks joined (and that was fairly far into their discography).

^ As Fleetwood Mac were reappearing with such a different line-up, I think they were justified in going for a self-titled album, especially as they didn't have the benefit of Mrs. Waffles's presence: if she had been in the recording studio, the album would've been released as "Fleetwood Mac: Hard Reset." 

Haha, that or "Fleetwood: Return of the Mac".

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards