So awards season is right around the corner. I wanted to created a master thread to keep track of all of the big ones. Tonys, Emmys, Oscars and I'll probably make a Grammys one under music category.

I also had this brilliant idea for us to pick our own best of movies/tv for 2023 but I will create a separate thread for that and it will be closer to the end of the year like mid November.

I was this cool the whole time.

I completely forgot about this idea. We can keep it to 6 categories starting out.

This is SCD's best of 2023 media awards.

What's your favorite Drama movie of 2023?

What's your favorite comedy/musical movie of 2023?

Favorite movie director of 2023?

Favorite dramatic tv show of 2023?

Favorite comedy/musical show of 2023?

Favorite streaming platform of 2023?
(Which one did you tend to use the most)

Sorry, DJ! Didn't catch this before, but interesting thread idea 🙂

I'll say 2023 was a poor year for movies and TV for me personally, but here goes:

I feel like I haven't seen any great dramas in 2023, so I guess Oppenheimer. I preferred The Whale and The Father, but they're from 2022 and 2020.

Barbie is the one that comes to mind.

I'm just gonna say Wes Anderson. We got his Roald Dahl shorts on Netflix as well as Asteroid City and I enjoyed all of it.

Was The Last of Us 2023? A horror series, but it also contained some great drama.

What We Do in the Shadows followed by Our Flag Means Death followed by Reservation Dogs. Yes, these are all Taika Waititi-related. I'd marry that man.

Hard to tell, but I feel like HBO Max is the one we've used the most lately. We just watched Fargo there (another favourite) and will finish the latest True Detective there soon. I saw a bunch of cult documentaries there, currently also watching the curious case of Natalia Grace and there's lots on our to-do-list on that service (like Succession and Rain Dogs).

Happiness is a warm manatee

Killers of the Flower Moon

Definitely has to be Barbie. I watched ot three times in the theater. I need to get a Blu-ray copy of it next.

Michael and Danny Phillippou. Kind of cheating here since it is a duo but they were responsible for directing the horror movie Talk to Me.

The Last of Us on HBO scratched my dramatic itch. They had an episode about a minor character that they fully fleshed out with a tragic back story

Twisted Metal was so good. It gave me member berries but also Anthony Mackee's comedic timing with Stephanie from Brooklyn 99 sold the show for me.

(Which one did you tend to use the most)

I tend to watch Paramount+ the most.
I'm starting to get into watching Star Trek episodes from the beginning and they have all of them.

They also have Nickelodeon shows so I watched Are you afraid of the dark? And the new Goosebumps show which was excellent. Sleeper hit imo.

Hmm.. I've actually been thinking of watching some kids' horror show with my daughter. I loved that sorta stuff when I was a kid, so maybe she also has a bit of a horror buff in her.

Are You Afraid of the Dark or new Goosebumps might be just the thing.

I loved both of those back in the 90s, well the OG versions anyway. A few select episodes absolutely messed me up, though. How old is your daughter?

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Lexi Darling on Feb 24, 2024, 12:32 AMI loved both of those back in the 90s, well the OG versions anyway. A few select episodes absolutely messed me up, though. How old is your daughter?

She'll be 8 at the start of March, so maybe a bit young still? I'm pretty bad at gauging these things 😅

Quote from: Guybrush on Feb 24, 2024, 07:59 AMShe'll be 8 at the start of March, so maybe a bit young still? I'm pretty bad at gauging these things 😅

8 is fine. I think I saw somewhere mention that 9 to 12 is a good age range but she might be okay at 8 years.

Quote from: Guybrush on Feb 24, 2024, 07:59 AMShe'll be 8 at the start of March, so maybe a bit young still? I'm pretty bad at gauging these things 😅

Yeah, I think that's probably ok. I believe I would have been 7-8 when I first watched Goosebumps, maybe even a slight bit younger for AYAOTD.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards