Sep 28, 2023, 04:54 PM Last Edit: Sep 28, 2023, 05:00 PM by DJChameleon
I wanted a place for us to discuss all the older shows/sitcoms that we love.

Growing up a latchkey kid, my tv was definitely a babysitter at times so I watched all kinds of shows and shows that were before my time.

Green Acres and I Love Lucy were my faves but I watched so much more. Mr. Ed, Dick Van Dyke show, Bewitched, In the Heat of the Night.

Currently my wife loves older sitcoms/shows too and nightly we watch a couple of episodes of Cagney and Lacey. I always tease her and say let's watch Rizzoli & Isles after we finish. I don't get her hatred of that show but it's basically a modern version of Cagney and Lacey.

I was this cool the whole time.

I grew up watching a lot of old sitcoms as well, though in my case it was because my mom would always have them on around the house, she was a stay-at-home so I got a lot of exposure to a good deal of stuff from the early TV era. My mom is old enough to have caught I Love Lucy on its original run, for example, and watching old 50s and 60s sitcoms was her nostalgic comfort viewing back in the 90s.

But yeah I watched a ton of that stuff, her raising me on it gave me a taste for that vintage media even though a lot of my friends thought old stuff was boring, haha. But yeah I also love a lot of the stuff you mentioned. Some of my other favorites: Gilligan's Island, Andy Griffith, Dennis the Menace, man just thinking about old shows makes me really want to put some on during my daily chores instead of Youtubers or music albums.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Andy Griffith was one show I just couldn't get into. Once I hear the theme for it, I get so irrationally mad. I would scramble to switch the channel.

Man, I loved Dennis the Menace.

Mary Tyler Moore! The little Rascals! I too feel like watching some of the older ones. I will probably do that later on tonight.

Oh can't forget the classic The Twilight Zone.

I can understand not having love for Andy Griffith. I just like Don Knotts too much, haha.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I have a list of TV shows from the 50's, 60's, & 70's that I used to watch when I was a kid and some of which I will occasionally watch to this day when the mood strikes me.

This is a clip from one of my favorites that I used to watch with my parents when it was on the air back in the 60's...

Smothers Brothers - Hippie Chick Clip

The Untouchables (1959 - 1963)

I just watched a couple of episodes that I hadn't seen before from the final year of this TV series, so now I've seen them all from start to finish. Loosely based on real characters and much more fiction than fact as far as the scripts go throughout the entire series, but still a fun show to watch for fans of crime thrillers and film noir. 

I was raised on Nick at Nite. Memorized every jingle and advert for a decade. I VHS taped the "Maximum Smart" Get Smart marathon and later acquired it digitally. I can recite so many episode scripts.

Here are a few of my Get Smart collectibles including a white label radio station 7" pressing of Barbara Feldon singing "99" b/w "Max."

Good times.

(I'm like this all the time.)

Quote from: innerspaceboy on Jan 30, 2024, 06:46 PMI was raised on Nick at Nite. Memorized every jingle and advert for a decade. I VHS taped the "Maximum Smart" Get Smart marathon and later acquired it digitally. I can recite so many episode scripts.

Here are a few of my Get Smart collectibles including a white label radio station 7" pressing of Barbara Feldon singing "99" b/w "Max."

Good times.

I loved Get Smart and yeah Nick at Nite was where I would catch all the older shows.

Bewitched, Dick Van Dyke, I Dream of Jeanie, Dragnet!

My TV nostalgia doesn't go much farther back than the late 80s at the most and we didn't get that many old American shows here. I never saw Twilight Zone as a kid f.ex. (I'm sure I would've loved it).

Some series I remember fondly are Allo Allo, Absolutely Fabulous, Eerie Indiana (not a sitcom) and I love Seinfeld. It's the greatest sitcom of all time imo.

Happiness is a warm manatee

I'm sure I have talked about it but my yearly tradition around New Years is to watch a marathon of Twilight Sone episodes. I try to stay up for the full thing. It started out as just a 24 hour marathon and it has morphed into 36 hours. They started up super early this past year. I loved Eerie Indiana as a kid.

I never got into Seinfeld. The show about nothing did nothing for me. I do love Larry David and his antics on Curb Your Enthusiasm though.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Feb 19, 2024, 12:01 PMI'm sure I have talked about it but my yearly tradition around New Years is to watch a marathon of Twilight Sone episodes. I try to stay up for the full thing. It started out as just a 24 hour marathon and it has morphed into 36 hours. They started up super early this past year. I loved Eerie Indiana as a kid.

I never got into Seinfeld. The show about nothing did nothing for me. I do love Larry David and his antics on Curb Your Enthusiasm though.

Wow, cool that you know Eerie Indiana at all. People seem to have forgotten about it here and I never saw it reappear on streaming services or anything.

Curb might just be the funniest show on television for me.. just eagerly awaiting next season ❤️

Quote from: Guybrush on Feb 19, 2024, 04:57 PMCurb might just be the funniest show on television for me.. just eagerly awaiting next season ❤️

It already started over here. I haven't seen any of it though.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 19, 2024, 05:01 PMIt already started over here. I haven't seen any of it though.

It was a bit slow going for us at first, but I think we really fell in love with it around season 3 or 4. Since then, it just keeps getting better.

Thanks for the heads-up on the new season!