Let's go with the 50 and proposed format
5 (100%)
Change format
0 (0%)
turnip
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: Jan 22, 2023, 04:49 PM

I floated the idea in the 1973 top ten album thread and think it might be a good idea to run this. From the thread I have devised a list of 50 albums  for us to vote on, my format is based on the idea that we don't want to drag this on forever.

The proposed format:
1st round: 5 Heats of 10 albums, 4 votes each per heat top 4 make it to the next round (20 remains)
2nd Round: 2 heats of 10 albums, 3 votes each per heat top 2 make it to the next round (4 remain)
Final: 4 Albums, one vote, top is declared the SCD album of 1973.

Here are the nominees:
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
The Who - Quadrophenia
New York Dolls - The New York Dolls
Paul McCartney and Wings - Band On the Run
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
Bruce Springsteen - Greetings From Asbury Park
Blue Öyster Cult - Tyranny & Mutation
David Bowie - Aladdin Sane
Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure
Hawkwind - Space Ritual
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
John Lennon - Mind Games
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
ZZ Top - Tres Hombres
Can - Future Days
Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power
Lavender Country - Lavender Country
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
Fripp & Eno - No Pussyfooting
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
Klaus Schulze - Cyborg
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives of Henry VIII
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
Tangerine Dream - Atem
Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night
Marvin Gaye - Let's Get it On
Frank Zappa - Over-nite sensation
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Gentle Giant - In A Glass House
Samla Mammas Manna - Måltid
Magma - Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kömmandöh
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
John Fahey - Fare Forward Voyagers (Soldier's Choice)
NEU! - NEU! 2
Sly & The Family Stone - Fresh
Mandrill - Just Outside of Town
Tom Waits - Closing Time
Herbie Hancock - Sextant
João Gilberto - João Gilberto
Jimmy Buffett - A White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean
The O'Jays - Ship Ahoy
Taj Mahal - Oooh So Good 'N Blues
Cecil Taylor - Solo
Lynyrd Skynyrd - (pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd)
Faust - Faust IV
Lou Reed - Berlin
Marion Brown - Geechee Recollections

In the age of ignorance, being informed is a choice.

Good list but you missed a few. Being the Beatles fan here I note you don't have George Harrison's Living in the Material World or Ringo Starr's Ringo album. Wings also had an album earlier in 1973 in Red Rose Speedway though that isn't particularly good. You're also missing Goat's Head Soup by the Stones and Springsteen's second album (The Wild the Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle) though Asbury is certainly the better album. I'm sure there are some others as well (Roxy Music's Stranded? Not sure if that's 72 or 73).

Anyway, this sounds like fun.

The Word has spoken :D

Let's go as is!

This is what you want. This is what you get.

I'm down for this!

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Rubber Soul on Jan 21, 2023, 05:08 PMGood list but you missed a few. Being the Beatles fan here I note you don't have George Harrison's Living in the Material World or Ringo Starr's Ringo album. Wings also had an album earlier in 1973 in Red Rose Speedway though that isn't particularly good. You're also missing Goat's Head Soup by the Stones and Springsteen's second album (The Wild the Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle) though Asbury is certainly the better album. I'm sure there are some others as well (Roxy Music's Stranded? Not sure if that's 72 or 73).

Being horrifically lazy I first just went through everyones top 10 that had provided both Artist and Album and then filled up to 50 with the top ones from TheNonSexual OccultHawk. Thus why Goat's Head Soup is not included, but let's be honest it wasn't going to win anyway.

Quote from: Comus on Jan 21, 2023, 06:18 PM
Quote from: Rubber Soul on Jan 21, 2023, 05:08 PMGood list but you missed a few. Being the Beatles fan here I note you don't have George Harrison's Living in the Material World or Ringo Starr's Ringo album. Wings also had an album earlier in 1973 in Red Rose Speedway though that isn't particularly good. You're also missing Goat's Head Soup by the Stones and Springsteen's second album (The Wild the Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle) though Asbury is certainly the better album. I'm sure there are some others as well (Roxy Music's Stranded? Not sure if that's 72 or 73).

Being horrifically lazy I first just went through everyones top 10 that had provided both Artist and Album and then filled up to 50 with the top ones from TheNonSexual OccultHawk. Thus why Goat's Head Soup is not included, but let's be honest it wasn't going to win anyway.

Not even close. Take away Angie and the album is almost terrible :laughing:

The Word has spoken :D

Great idea, Comus! Let Over-nite's road to victory commence  ;D

Happiness is a warm manatee

I was thinking of then letting each round last like 4 days, or should we have a full week?

Nice idea, but Eno's Here come the warm jets was from 1974 fyi. Maybe put Roxy Music's For your pleasure in its place if it's not already on there?

Yeah I should note this was just a pure copy paste from the 1973 thread without any checking. I will change that.

Voted in all your polls. Nicely done, @Comus :)

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: GD on Jan 21, 2023, 10:35 PMEno's Here come the warm jets was from 1974 fyi.

You're right. Can't believe I got that one wrong.  :palmface: