Hey gang!

In this world of franchises and gameplay formulas being endlessly redone, what are some games that somehow felt more unique or special to you?

The last I played that I thought was fairly special was Dredge.

It's an open world, Lovecraft inspired fishing game that also has you doing quests and sorting out a storyline.

It's not completely weird - Ive encountered most of these gameplay elements before - but it still felt somewhat fresh 🙂

How about you?

Happiness is a warm manatee

Tends to be indie games that fit this bill nowadays, and most of them that are 'unique', I end up not liking for one reason or another, but a recent one I did enjoy was Superhot.

Its a stylish FPS but the kicker is that time only moves when you move, which results in a some very interesting approaches, strategies, and trial and error. The levels are generally short and self-contained and the goal is to kill all the enemies there before they kill you, whether that's with guns, swords, or your fists.

Quote from: SGR on Sep 22, 2023, 04:18 PMTends to be indie games that fit this bill nowadays, and most of them that are 'unique', I end up not liking for one reason or another, but a recent one I did enjoy was Superhot.

Its a stylish FPS but the kicker is that time only moves when you move, which results in a some very interesting approaches, strategies, and trial and error. The levels are generally short and self-contained and the goal is to kill all the enemies there before they kill you, whether that's with guns, swords, or your fists.

Yes!! Superhot was awesome. I just wish they'd made more.

What I also love about Superhot is the way it's meta. It's the game inside the game 🙂

Despite there being a lot of deck builder card games, I still think Inscryption made a special kind of unique impression 🙂

The style, mood and creepiness of the game's first act was superb while also feeling fresh. For example, you could get up from the table and explore the dark cabin in the style of an old Dungeon crawler and your sinister opponent was just so good.

Too bad the second and third acts weren't anywhere near as interesting, but still worth playing based on the first act alone 🙂

Plus I think there might be a mod now that extends that first act or creates a new game out of it.