Quote from: SGR on May 17, 2023, 06:34 AMAre you a fan of "Get in the Ring" and "My World"?

They aren't my favorite songs but I like them. With "My World", I always thought it was cool that they were trying something so different.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Appetite is great, the Illusion albums have their moments but I find a lot of the songs to be a little overlong and both albums as a whole a bit of a slog to listen to front to back. I think with some more editing it would have made a killer single album though.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

REM's Reveal finally got repressed and I just copped the limited edition. I love this record beyond what it probably deserves for personal reasons, and I'm just happy to finally be getting it as an LP.

"Imitation of Life" is still one of the best songs they ever did - with one of the most creative music videos, especially for 2001.

I have a question for UK based members.

Where do you buy vinyls? Online they are extortionate, garage & car boot sales only have 1920's country (which there is nothing wrong with, I just don't want it 😂) and I'm really struggling to get any decent records. I think I only have about 5 or 6 because I've had to buy brand new for £30/40/50 :(

Wynton Kelly—It's All Right! (1964)

I just picked this record up the other day. Love the Roy Lichtenstein vibes to the album cover. It's a pretty interesting artifact given that it came out in the mid-60s, because it sounds at least ten years older than that. This is some stately non-bop that makes me wish I liked olives enough to chomp on some as I sipped a martini in a quiet 1950s hotel bar.

Thanks for sharing, Jans.

I'm checking it out briefly and Portrait of Jenny is deliciously laid-back, so that's going straight into my rotation. Lovely!

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 10, 2024, 07:20 AM

Wynton Kelly—It's All Right! (1964)

I just picked this record up the other day. Love the Roy Lichtenstein vibes to the album cover. It's a pretty interesting artifact given that it came out in the mid-60s, because it sounds at least ten years older than that. This is some stately non-bop that makes me wish I liked olives enough to chomp on some as I sipped a martini in a quiet 1950s hotel bar.

So lovely to see you around!

And that album sounds very up my alley.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Lexi Darling on Feb 10, 2024, 04:23 PMSo lovely to see you around!

And that album sounds very up my alley.

Thank you! ☺️

It's definitely worth a listen.

Lupe Fiasco—Drill Music in Zion (2022)
Lupe Fiasco apparently recorded this over three days because he was going for something raw and imperfect. Obviously a lot of writing and preparation went into it beforehand and the results are fantastic. It's beautiful and thoughtful like Drogas Wave, even if it's only about half the length. I'm frequently lukewarm on rappers who get a lot of attention for their lyrics, but Lupe really writes stuff that resonates with me.