So there's a lot of nostalgia going on, like fawning over 90s eurodance or Saulaac's Jamiroquai thread. It's inspired me to start a Supergrass thread.

If you're unfamiliar, they're a britpop band from the 90s that put out 6 studio albums and quite a few singles.

I was a big fan way back, so while people were interested in Blur or Oasis, Supergrass was my jam. I found a lot of their music to be very melodic and catchy and their debut had great youthful energy.

Over time, my ears became oversaturated and tired with their music, so they fell out of my rotation, but a while ago I ran across some concert stuff online and I enjoyed hearing some of those songs again.

I think a song that isn't necessarily a favourite, but is still good and a good showcase for how they're kinda melodic, energetic and catchy, is one of their biggest hits Sun Hits the Sky from their second album In It For The Money.

Anyone else like them?

Happiness is a warm manatee

#1 Jan 21, 2024, 10:39 PM Last Edit: Jan 21, 2024, 10:49 PM by Saulaac
That's a nice song, and I like the chorus bit starting "I'll be your doctor, I'm on my way.." where I thought it was an organ providing those high background chords, but in fact perhaps it's the guitar.
"Alright" is the only song I remember clearly, probably because it was rotated on Radio 1 a lot.

Supergrass was a household name in the 90s for sure. Irrc, they came pretty close to beating off Oasis and Blur as the UK's best band for a brief moment.

What were the other melodic and bass-y Supergrass songs you remember? I got a feeling I might like them.

Excellent guitar pop band. This album track from their third (and arguably best) album is just another Britpop tribute to the Beatles but so well crafted

This will always be my favorite single

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

Quote from: Saulaac on Jan 21, 2024, 10:39 PMThat's a nice song, and I like the chorus bit starting "I'll be your doctor, I'm on my way.." where I thought it was an organ providing those high background chords, but in fact perhaps it's the guitar.
"Alright" is the only song I remember clearly, probably because it was rotated on Radio 1 a lot.

Supergrass was a household name in the 90s for sure. Irrc, they came pretty close to beating off Oasis and Blur as the UK's best band for a brief moment.

What were the other melodic and bass-y Supergrass songs you remember? I got a feeling I might like them.

Too many for a single post 😅 but since you mention "Alright" from their debut, that's actually one of those special cases where their most famous song is what I consider one of the fillers of that album. I thought I'd post some more songs from this album as it seems very underrated, at least in this country (people only vaguely remember Alright here).

@jadis already posted the superior Caught by the Fuzz single, also from that album. A little more bassy track is Lenny:

Their most melodic track from that album might be Mansize Rooster.

While my favorite track overall might be the much more chill Time.

And you still have the brilliant opener I'd Like To Know and fan favorite Strange Ones and really.. Lose It, Sitting Up Straight, She's So Loose. They're all good.

I find it weird that Supergrass' debut isn't mentioned more often as one of the standout albums of the 90s 🙂

#4 Jan 22, 2024, 12:18 AM Last Edit: Jan 22, 2024, 01:00 AM by Guybrush
Quote from: jadis on Jan 21, 2024, 10:58 PMExcellent guitar pop band. This album track from their third (and arguably best) album is just another Britpop tribute to the Beatles but so well crafted

Thanks @jadis 🙂 nice to see someone else likes them too. Caught by the Fuzz is great and kinda fun that it's autobiographical.

About their third album, I don't personally rate it higher than their debut, but their first three are all great anyways.

I like the opener Moving:

But my favourite song from the album is Mary. That simple riff is just so effective.

Way back, I think my favourite was probably Beautiful People, but it didn't have the same staying power over the years.

She's So Loose is probably my favourite so far. It's intense, bluesy, funky and melodic.

Their second album was great as well. Sun Hits the Sky is of course from there and I believe the second biggest single from that album, perhaps their heaviest song, is this one:

Their three first albums are all good, so what about the last three? 🤔

Starting with number 4, Life on Other Planets from 2002, I feel like it's got enjoyable songs on it (Seen the Light, Run, Funniest Thing, Can't Get Up), but they lack some of the magic from their earlier records. I'm a little unsure exactly why that is.. maybe the compositions seem a little less adventurous and perhaps they benefited from a production that was just a little rougher around the edges.

Still, there's plenty of catchy pop rock on that record with Brecon Beacons probably being my favourite.