Over the past few months, I've finally gotten my home office fixed up to a point where I actually enjoy hanging out in it. Now I have a place for the turntable I hadn't been able to use for many years, and as a result I've been buying physical records for the first time in a long time.

Anyway, I figured this forum could use a vinyl thread. If you have recent purchases or just favorite records you want to share, please do!

This is what you want. This is what you get.

#1 Jan 21, 2023, 05:01 PM Last Edit: Jan 21, 2023, 05:05 PM by Janszoon
In the past few days I got:

Danger Mouse & Black Thought—Cheat Codes (2022)
I've loved the Roots for a long time but I never really rated Black Thought much as a rapper. Listening to this album, where it's mostly just him and Danger Mouse, has opened to my eyes to how good he is. This whole thing is great from beginning to end and I was thrilled to hear MF Doom pop up from beyond the grave.

Gavin Bryars – The Sinking of the Titanic (1975)
I've loved the 1990 recording of this modern classical piece for a long time, but I had never heard the 1975 recording before so I was pleasantly surprised to find this at one of my local record shops. Side one, which is wholly occupied by the original, much shorter version of the title track, is great. Side two, which is taken up by "Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet" is just okay, but maybe it will grow on me.

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers—Buttercorn Lady (1966)
Some solid hard bop here. I already owned this digitally so I knew I liked it, but I was excited to find a used copy for cheap.

Herbie Hancock—Monster (1980)
Bought this one blind because I've been on a big Herbie Hancock kick lately and it didn't disappoint. This era in his discography turned off a lot of jazz purists back in the day because he was basically making straight-up disco, but he did it well and I like it.

Taj Mahal—Music Keeps Me Together (1975)
I knew maybe half the track on this one before buying it, but what a great album! Like the best Taj Mahal releases, this is loose, eclectic, and uplifting.

Vangelis—Heaven and Hell (1975)
I bought this based on a recommendation from both Synthgirl and Trollheart. It's less atmospheric and more bombastic than the other Vangelis albums I own (Spiral, Beaubourg, China), but I like the variety! Thank you both for the recommendation!

Glad you enjoyed Heaven and Hell! It's a lot closer to his prog rock roots (right down to the Jon Anderson guest spot) than his more new age oriented work for sure.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Ah, tis well I remember that Gavin Bryars album being reviewed by you in your thread about 25 Albums You Must Hear Before the Earth Crashes into the Moon and We All Die (or is that the other way around? Probably the other way round) - great review. I miss that thread.

Glad you enjoyed the Vangelis too. I also recommend Direct if you're into more spacey, synthy stuff and you probably wouldn't kill me if I pointed you in the direction of his soundtrack to 1492: Conquest of Paradise.

Last vinyl I bought isn't something you crazy foreigners will recognize, but it was the recent vinyl (re)release of Gartnerlosjen's album Due (means dove) from.. 1995? I've LOVED this album since I first heard it back in the 90s so of course I put it up on the wall.

@Comus did you ever check this one out?

Happiness is a warm manatee

That fish on your wall is so cool!  :love:

Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 21, 2023, 07:44 PM@Comus did you ever check this one out?
I did not, but I have added it to my list

In the age of ignorance, being informed is a choice.

#7 Jan 23, 2023, 01:24 AM Last Edit: Jan 24, 2023, 01:18 AM by Janszoon
I got some mail over the weekend.  :)

Sunn O)))—Monoliths & Dimensions (2009)
Seriously one of the biggest albums ever. The whole thing sounds like the chanting of cosmic monks and the sky splitting open. It's hard to not drop what you're doing and just let yourself be absorbed.

Sunn O)))—Kannon (2015)
I had never heard this one before I put the needle on the vinyl here. This release is short and stripped down compared to Monoliths & Dimensions, but it's still great.

Bobby McFerrin—Spontaneous Inventions (1986)
My favorite track is the Herbie Hancock collaboration "Turtle Shoes", but the whole album is wonderful. If you don't think Bobby McFerrin is one of the greatest vocalists alive, I suggest giving this album a spin.

Mühr—Shepherd / Blood (2010)
I had to get this EP shipped all the way from Greece. It was worth it though, both tracks are colossal and gorgeous in ways that only doom metal can be.

Kronos Quartet—Winter Was Hard (1988)
Interesting somewhat early Kronos Quartet, this is more directly connected to classical music than their later work but it's still a very enjoyable listen.

More came in the mail today:

Sly & Robbie—Reggae Greats (A Dub Experience) (1984)
This is one of my favorite dub albums, and like a lot of great music, it doesn't fit neatly into the genre and style it's associated with. It's great smokey dub to be sure, but it also has an 80s electro sensibility and an experimental edge.

Dr. John, The Night Tripper—Gris-Gris (1968)
Another classic that defies easy categorization. It's psychedelic but in a very New Orleans way. It's jazzy, it's funky, and it's soulful, but it has a heavy dose of Lex Baxter going on too.

^Dr. John & Bobby McFerrin (and Herbie Hancock) are the only ones I recognize. Turtle Shoes is a fun song and of course McFerrin's vocals are legendary.

I'm gonna check out Monoliths & Dimensions!

Quote from: Trollheart on Jan 21, 2023, 08:28 PMThat fish on your wall is so cool!  :love:

Is this sarcasm? You sound a little like my wife :laughing:

Predictably for me, I like maritime decor. My wife rightly thinks it's cheesy and more at home in a cabin than in a house. Still, I was allowed to "ocean up" our stairwell just a little bit.

Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 24, 2023, 06:54 AM^Dr. John & Bobby McFerrin (and Herbie Hancock) are the only ones I recognize. Turtle Shoes is a fun song and of course McFerrin's vocals are legendary.

I'm gonna check out Monoliths & Dimensions!
I hope you like it!

For the record, I like your fish decoration as well.

Quote from: Janszoon on Jan 24, 2023, 03:34 PMI hope you like it!

For the record, I like your fish decoration as well.

Thanks ;D  All in all, I prefer to listen to music with song structure and melody, but the soundscaping here is pretty cool. I liked the heavy religious vibe :laughing:

There is both song structure and melody, it's just very, very slow!  ;D

I'm not sure if some of these image links are going to work but I'll give it a shot. Picked up some old records at a local store the other day for super cheap.

Chic—C'est Chic (1978)
Disco is a singles-driven style of music so it's rare to find a whole album by one band that's a great disco album from start to finish. C'est Chic is that album though. It's just wonderful and I'm so happy to finally have it on vinyl.

Kronos Quartet—White Man Sleeps (1987)
It's been hard to find the early 2000s Kronos albums I've been looking for, so I've been checking out some of the earlier stuff. Some solid modern classical here for sure.

Jean-Michel Jarre—Oxygène (1976)
I had never heard this one all the way through before, but I was not disappointed. Lovely vintage synths make for a truly beautiful experience.

The O'Jays—Ship Ahoy (1973)
People are probably most familiar with the song "For the Love of Money" from this album, and that's a great, funky piece of cynicism, but the real standout here is the title track, "Ship Ahoy", which is an absolutely devastating song about the nightmare that was the transatlantic slave trade.

Jazz At Preservation Hall I: The Eureka Brass Band (1963)
I've owned the third record in this series for many years, but if wasn't until recently that I really understood what it was. These are old school 1920s-ish New Orleans dixieland/hot jazz players recorded in the middle part of the 60s. So we were at a point where recording technology was good, but these early jazz players were also alive and young enough to play. It's such a treasure to hear this music come out from behind the curtain of scratchy, tinny roaring 20s tech and sound more comparable to what it would really be like in person a hundred years ago.

Jazz At Preservation Hall II: Billie & De De Pierce / Jim Robinson's New Orleans Band (1963)
This one is a split album, long before the punks were doing it. The married couple of Billie (piano) & De De (trumpet) Pierce are on side one and trombonist Jim Robinson's is on the other. Great stuff.

New Orleans' Billie & De De And Their Preservation Hall Jazz Band (1966)
A different series, but still coming out of Preservation Hall. This one is strictly Billie & De De in all their glory. Beyond the music, which is great, there's just something so endearing about the lovely couple with the gender-neutral names. 

New Orleans' Sweet Emma And Her Preservation Hall Jazz Band (1964)
This one is a little different from the others in that it's a live album, which only serves to enhance the experience of it feeling like a window into the 1920s. Emma Barrett's piano is glorious, Emanuel Styles' banjo is intense, and Percy Humphrey's banter between songs is incredibly charming. This shit makes me wish I had a time machine.

Oxygene is really a timeless, transcendent classic. This video of Jarre walking through all the synths he used on the album is a treat for us synthsters.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards