We have a "Dumb Lyrics" thread and an "Annoying things people say" thread, so I feel that our common language is not getting a balanced representation on SCD: the language has no awards ceremony here, but it does have two Complaints Departments. That's not fair.

So here's a place to put your favourite quotes, favourite lyrics, etc, although to start us off, I've been thinking about a couple of words only, the humble bricks from which greater things can be built:-

to tailgate: I first liked the sound of this word when I heard it in a Dr.John song. It was years later that I understood what it meant, then more years later that I realised that it's a verb that's useful in America, although afaik the rest of the world seems able to get by without it.

shrift: this is something that you can give someone, but for reasons unknown, it only comes in one size: you can give them short shrift, but never long shrift.

fro: this is another word with a limited application. If you want to go fro, you have to got to first. In my daily round I often go to and fro, but try as I might, I've never been able to just go fro on its own. :(     

To get lost is to learn the way.

The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows is one of my most beloved of any gifts I've ever received - a guide to newly-concocted verbiage for a lexicographical fanatic; what could be more perfect? It tugs eloquently at my subversive Joycean and Biercian linguistic heartstrings.

The author, John Koenig, presented a TEDTalk at Berkeley where he discussed the project.

(I'm like this all the time.)

I like old timey insults and pejoratives so much. Modern insults pale in comparison to calling someone a scoundrel or a cad or a ne'er-do-well.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Sep 17, 2023, 10:23 PMI like old timey insults and pejoratives so much. Modern insults pale in comparison to calling someone a scoundrel or a cad or a ne'er-do-well.

Absolutely!

https://nosweatshakespeare.com/resources/shakespeare-insults/

(I'm like this all the time.)

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

That might not be a perfect quotation of the late, great Terry Pratchett, but it's in the ballpark.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Sep 17, 2023, 10:23 PMI like old timey insults and pejoratives so much. Modern insults pale in comparison to calling someone a scoundrel or a cad or a ne'er-do-well.

Fop!

Happiness is a warm manatee

I seldom like lyrics and most of the ones I really like are in Russian but I love Robert Wyatt's Sea Song so much.

You look different every time
You come from the foam-crested brine
It's your skin, shining softly in the moonlight
Partly fish, partly porpoise
Partly baby sperm whale
Am I yours?
Are you mine to play with?
Joking apart
When you're drunk you're terrific
When you're drunk
I like you mostly late at night
You're quite alright
But I can't understand the different you
In the morning, when it's time
To play at being human for a while
Please smile!
You'll be different in the spring
I know, you're a seasonal beast
Like the starfish that drift in with the tide
With the tide
So until your blood runs
To meet the next full moon
Your madness fits in nicely with my own
With my own
Your lunacy fits neatly with my own
My very own
We're not alone

#7 Sep 19, 2023, 11:41 PM Last Edit: Sep 20, 2023, 07:17 AM by Guybrush
Yes! Sea song is brilliant 🙂

I taught myself how to play it badly on piano 🐬

Quote from: Guybrush on Sep 19, 2023, 11:41 PMYes! Sea song is brilliant 🙂

I taught myself hoe to play it badly on piano 🐬

Cool! My ex used to accompany me on piano while I badly sang it and badly played it on guitar.

^ Only on SCD, I suspect, will you find two such enthusiasts for that song ! For me, it was completely new.

Yes, Mrs. Waffles, those old insults have a special ring to them. I still like ne'er-do-well and as a child I liked poltroon. I probably heard it on a cartoon prog for kids: they seemed to favour old-fashioned language, from Dick Darstardly to a particular favourite:-

The great thing about that expression is how meaningless the words are, like another catchphrase, this one from comedian Frankie Howerd: "I should coco!"

Quote from: Guybrush on Sep 18, 2023, 12:19 AMIf you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

That might not be a perfect quotation of the late, great Terry Pratchett, but it's in the ballpark.

^ Literally LOL! That one is so good, but all I have for the moment is this (African) proverb:-
"If you think you're too small to make a difference, you haven't spent a night with a mosquito."

To get lost is to learn the way.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Sep 21, 2023, 12:19 AMYes, Mrs. Waffles, those old insults have a special ring to them. I still like ne'er-do-well and as a child I liked poltroon. I probably heard it on a cartoon prog for kids: they seemed to favour old-fashioned language, from Dick Darstardly to a particular favourite:-

The great thing about that expression is how meaningless the words are, like another catchphrase, this one from comedian Frankie Howerd: "I should coco!"

Hanna Barbera characters did tend to spout some classic nonsense. Yabba dabba doo, zoinks, nyuck nyuck nyuck, and all that.

Of all their characters, Snagglepuss seemed to have the most vocal idiosyncrasies. Heavens to Murgatroyd! Exit stage left! It's (blank), (blank) even! Love it.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Wonderful thread idea, Lisna.   :D

The last few stanzas of Walt Whitman's "Song of Myself" (Leaves of Grass) never fail to move me.

"I bequeath myself to the dirt to grow from the grass I love,
If you want me again look for me under your boot-soles.

You will hardly know who I am or what I mean,
But I shall be good health to you nevertheless,
And filter and fibre your blood.

Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged,
Missing me one place search another,
I stop somewhere waiting for you."

@grindy and @Guybrush, I share the love of Robert Wyatt's "Sea Song".  One of my favorite songs of all time.  Much as I admire the studio version on Rock Bottom, I actually prefer this live BBC4 performance.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2f54a

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Sep 21, 2023, 12:19 AM^ Only on SCD, I suspect, will you find two such enthusiasts for that song ! For me, it was completely new.

^ Literally LOL! That one is so good, but all I have for the moment is this (African) proverb:-
"If you think you're too small to make a difference, you haven't spent a night with a mosquito."

Thanks, Lisna! You've cleared up a mystery for me, which is the title of Supergrass' debut album.

And that African proverb was very clever indeed 🙂

Quote from: ribbons on Sep 21, 2023, 01:03 AM@grindy and @Guybrush, I share the love of Robert Wyatt's "Sea Song".  One of my favorite songs of all time.  Much as I admire the studio version on Rock Bottom, I actually prefer this live BBC4 performance.

Yes, that might be the best version of that song 🙂

I think The Unthanks' cover is also worthy of note:

Quote from: ribbons on Sep 21, 2023, 01:03 AM@grindy and @Guybrush, I share the love of Robert Wyatt's "Sea Song".  One of my favorite songs of all time.  Much as I admire the studio version on Rock Bottom, I actually prefer this live BBC4 performance.

Yes, I love this version!