Quote from: FETCHER. on Jun 25, 2024, 01:04 PMNot always no, there's multiple references of "family dogs" doing this. I will quote some for you later but I'm just about to start work. I don't believe the answer to XL bully's is more XL bully's.

There was a woman here who got killed by her own dog recently.

XL Bully.

She'd been posting on TikTok about how her dear old pooch woukdnt harm a fly or some shit when the bans came in.

RIP.

Only God knows.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Jun 25, 2024, 12:52 PMIsn't that from raising them badly though?

Also my analogy still kind of works because people die at the hands of their own guns.

Guns don't have hands.

Quote from: SGRThat's kinda the problem with the breed as a whole though. It's not really their fault, but we as humans bred them specifically to be rough and aggressive.

QuoteThe victims are mostly adults, attacked suddenly and often without provocation. Only a small number of injuries are fatal, but many are life-changing. In 2023 xl Bullies made up less than 1% of Britain's dog population and yet, according to Bully Watch uk, the dogs were responsible for 44% of dog attacks on people. They estimate the breed is 270 times more deadly than all other dog breeds combined.

Their ancestry helps explain their aggression. Pit-bull terriers were bred to win dog fights, contests which begin with two animals and end with one. Though illegal in Britain since 1835 and in America since 1976, dogfights' popularity as a forum for betting means many continue underground. With money to be made by breeding the best fighters, handlers selected those with tenacity and "gameness"—the ability to keep fighting despite serious injuries. Over decades, the pit-bull terrier developed the ability to attack suddenly, and sustain grave injuries without retreating. This genetic history is present in the xl Bully. "These dogs, being bred for aggression, are likely to inherit aggression," says David Sargan, a geneticist at Cambridge Veterinary School. "However well you treat them, a proportion of them may explode."

The quote says it all, I think. There's no point in people owning dogs that are some hundreds of times more likely than other dogs to just kill someone.

People overemphasize their own abilities to raise and handle dogs, not realising how big a part genetics play when it comes to this risk.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Jun 25, 2024, 11:57 PMThe quote says it all, I think. There's no point in people owning dogs that are some hundreds of times more likely than other dogs to just kill someone.

People overemphasize their own abilities to raise and handle dogs, not realising how big a part genetics play when it comes to this risk.

Yup, I completely agree. We were the cause of this problem, and now we need to decide how best to handle it. Any claims that pits are inherently no more aggressive or dangerous than other breeds, and it's all about how you raise them are not based in reality. You can make that argument for some breeds, but not pits.

Quote from: Jwb on Jun 25, 2024, 03:56 PMIt was a joke, not an analogy. And it was still better than your gun analogy lol.

You're saying getting a dog for protection after being attacked by a dog is like getting injured ( I assume we mean attacked) with a gun and then buying a gun for protection. The difference is a gun would also be better defense against a dog than having your own dog around to fight it. So why would you not just get a gun in both cases. You're assuming the person who gets shot wants a gun for protection simply because that's the weapon they were injured with. Which is a strange assumption.

Bruv you speaking about the UK it's not as easy to just get a gun to protect against the dog maybe a knife.

Also I don't see it as such a weird assumption to make that a person shot by a gun would want to protect themselves with a gun. You think they would become some passive monk that views all guns as evil and not want to protect themselves with a weapon?

I was this cool the whole time.

Knifes over a certain length are illegal too.

It's not a weird assumption, I completely agree but it feeds in to the vicious circle doesn't it?

Yes it does feed into a cycle that's why gun violence in certain areas of the states is pretty high.

If someone attacked you with a Molotov cocktail would that cause you to start hoarding bottles? Or would you just want a gun regardless of what the threat is. Give your head a shake.

Quote from: Jwb on Jun 27, 2024, 12:39 AMIf someone attacked you with a Molotov cocktail would that cause you to start hoarding bottles? Or would you just want a gun regardless of what the threat is. Give your head a shake.

I would become an expert Molotov cocktail throwing. I would want to be the best of the best and start working on my angles while throwing.

Idk why you are acting like this us a strange behavior.

People tend to want control over things when bad stuff happens to them. They don't want to be harmed by the thing that harmed them before.