Never seen that one but I did enjoy Midsommar. Modern horror is usually a bit outside my comfort zone but I enjoyed that it had actual themes to analyze rather than just demons and monsters and loud noises and jumpscares.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Sep 22, 2023, 12:53 AMNever seen that one but I did enjoy Midsommar. Modern horror is usually a bit outside my comfort zone but I enjoyed that it had actual themes to analyze rather than just demons and monsters and loud noises and jumpscares.

Everything Everywhere All at Once
Uncut Gems
Lady Bird
Talk to Me
Hereditary
Moonlight
Midsommar
Ex Machina
The Witch
The Whale

This is a list of 24 produced top grossing films for the company.

I'm sure you've enjoyed some on this list.

I was this cool the whole time.

Only other one on that list I've seen is Uncut Gems, but I did enjoy that one.

I'll definitely look into those, Guybrush's praise has made me want to check out Hereditary for sure.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I'm sad that The Lighthouse with Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe isn't on their top grossing list. That was also a one of a kind experience 🙂

Happiness is a warm manatee

On that list the only horror related ones are The Witch, Hereditary, Talk to Me and Midsommar. Ex Machina is brilliant but not horror just kind of a slow burn sci fi flick.

My most recent watch, but it was excellent. Chilling sci-fi. If you liked Hereditary or Ex-Machina (which shares the same directory I think), you'll like this.

A fantastic movie about love, loss, redemption, and transcendence. The actors/actresses put on stellar performances that really draw you into the character dynamics - and the plot is truly and simply stellar. The first time I watched it, I was practically in tears by the end.

I loved the first one as well but I have watched the second one numerous times. It's so good.

I like that fact that they are accountants but also that the second movie takes place in the Virgin Islands.

The most recent film I've watched that I've really fallen in love with. In particular the parts shot in Japan, but the parts shot in Africa are great as well. Japanese life fascinates me, and seeing regular day-to-day life captured (from the 70s) with all its quirks and traditions makes this a great film to watch. There are lots of great micro-moments in this documentary/essay film which stick with me and make this film memorable.

Quote from: SGR on Sep 27, 2023, 05:01 AM

A fantastic movie about love, loss, redemption, and transcendence. The actors/actresses put on stellar performances that really draw you into the character dynamics - and the plot is truly and simply stellar. The first time I watched it, I was practically in tears by the end.

I saw that in the theater. I don't remember if I liked it. I was probably high as shit tho lol.

#41 Oct 03, 2023, 11:42 PM Last Edit: Oct 03, 2023, 11:46 PM by Guybrush
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)

Wes Anderson has many adoring fans. My fascination with his output has waned a little the last ten-ish years, but this one - my favorite of his - is still a joy to watch.

There's a story to this movie about an ocean explorer and documentary maker chasing down the shark who ate his friend and getting reunited with a lost son, but the movie's considerable magic is in the characters, their interactions and the weird alternative universe that Wes Anderson creates. It is funny, moving, weird and unlike anything else.

Never before had a movie so made me want to belong to something I saw onscreen. I had a friend who became goth after watching The Crow and then changed style again after The Matrix. Not me. I wanted to be part of the crew of the Belafonte. This movie made me order a red hat and a baby blue shirt with short sleeves.

To me, this is Bill Murray's best role. He was absolutely perfect. The supporting cast is also great.

I've loved this movie since its release when I watched it without any prior knowledge or expectations. It blew my mind. 🙂

Quote from: Mr. Waffles on Sep 30, 2023, 05:44 AMI saw that in the theater. I don't remember if I liked it. I was probably high as shit tho lol.

In that case, I guarantee you liked it.

Suspiria (1977)

@Meatwad you may consider this blasphemy, but I really enjoyed the remake from 2014 with Tilda Swinton and others 🙂

It's different in tone of course, but every enjoyable still.