Love Amores Perros and Pi.


Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Sep 13, 2023, 04:20 PMI was a big Tim Burton fan when Corpse Bride came out. I liked it at the time, but I have not seen it since I was in high school.

I love Nightmare, I was absolutely that kid who rocked the Jack Skellington merch from Hot Topic as a teenager. I had a fierce debate with a coworker a few months ago on whether it was more of a Halloween movie or more of a Christmas movie. I was arguing on the side of Halloween, for the record.

And while we're on the subject, Die Hard is not a Christmas movie and I will die on this hill. Anyone who seriously thinks it is one is taking a meme too far.

Okay so Nightmare is a Halloween movie but I can't get on board with you discrediting Die Hard as a Christmas movie.

It takes place during Christmas, how does that NOT make it a Christmas movie? I will watch it every Christmas day til the end of time!

The debate/conversation I had recently was which is the superior Halloween kids movie, Nightmare before Christmas Or Hocus Pocus?

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Sep 19, 2023, 11:26 AMOkay so Nightmare is a Halloween movie but I can't get on board with you discrediting Die Hard as a Christmas movie.

It takes place during Christmas, how does that NOT make it a Christmas movie? I will watch it every Christmas day til the end of time!

The debate/conversation I had recently was which is the superior Halloween kids movie, Nightmare before Christmas Or Hocus Pocus?

My logic regarding Die Hard is that it taking place at Christmas is almost entirely incidental to the rest of the movie. You could set it at any other time and it would be more or less the same, and just as great. But we can certainly agree to disagree!

And that's tough on the Halloween movies, haha. Both absolute classics. I think I like Nightmare more on a sentimental level but it's very close.


Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Sep 19, 2023, 12:15 PMMy logic regarding Die Hard is that it taking place at Christmas is almost entirely incidental to the rest of the movie. You could set it at any other time and it would be more or less the same, and just as great. But we can certainly agree to disagree!

And that's tough on the Halloween movies, haha. Both absolute classics. I think I like Nightmare more on a sentimental level but it's very close.

I'm more partial to witchcraft and witches in general so Hocus Pocus gets my vote. Plus I'm not a big fan of Tim Burton. I know that's shocking but yeah it's true.

Yes it could have taken place at any other time but it didn't. It took place during Christmas so therefore it is a Christmas movie. If it took place during Thanksgiving. It would be a Thanksgiving movie but yeah we will have to agree to disagree.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: Meatwad on Sep 17, 2023, 10:10 AMπ



I love Pi as well and I'm just now realizing that it's an A24 production.

A24 doesn't miss! they be releasing bangers on top of bangers on top of bangers. I watched "Talk to Me" last night and had a great time another A24 production.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Sep 19, 2023, 12:41 PMI'm more partial to witchcraft and witches in general so Hocus Pocus gets my vote. Plus I'm not a big fan of Tim Burton. I know that's shocking but yeah it's true.

Yes it could have taken place at any other time but it didn't. It took place during Christmas so therefore it is a Christmas movie. If it took place during Thanksgiving. It would be a Thanksgiving movie but yeah we will have to agree to disagree.

Yeah, my opinion on Burton has soured a lot with age, but as a kid his work meant a lot to me. I guess I'd say if we're talking teenage Mrs. Waffles I'd go with Nightmare but current Mrs. Waffles would probably pick Hocus Pocus.

My point was more that if you can set Die Hard at any other time, it clearly doesn't have much to do with Christmas on a narrative level. You couldn't set Elf or The Santa Clause or The Grinch at any other time. But on some level I get the Die Hard Christmas thing, it's the atmosphere of it being set at Christmas that does a lot aesthetically even if the plot is not really affected by it. So I think in that sense we're more in agreement than my first post let on.


Quote from: DJChameleon on Sep 19, 2023, 12:42 PMI love Pi as well and I'm just now realizing that it's an A24 production.

A24 doesn't miss! they be releasing bangers on top of bangers on top of bangers. I watched "Talk to Me" last night and had a great time another A24 production.

Not sure A24 has anything to do with Aronofsky and I doubt they've been around since 98. Maybe just means they have the distribution now but Im just guessing. 


Quote from: Meatwad on Sep 19, 2023, 01:10 PMNot sure A24 has anything to do with Aronofsky and I doubt they've been around since 98. Maybe just means they have the distribution now but Im just guessing. 

 Aronofsky sold the rights to A24 this year that's why they have their logo plastered on that movie poster.

I just looked it up and you are right. A24 wasn't around in the late 90s when this movie first came out. They have only been around since 2013.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Sep 19, 2023, 01:01 PMMy point was more that if you can set Die Hard at any other time, it clearly doesn't have much to do with Christmas on a narrative level. You couldn't set Elf or The Santa Clause or The Grinch at any other time. But on some level I get the Die Hard Christmas thing, it's the atmosphere of it being set at Christmas that does a lot aesthetically even if the plot is not really affected by it. So I think in that sense we're more in agreement than my first post let on.

Christmas IS integral to the plot though. Christmas time is a time for forgiveness and about family. So John Mclaine heads to LA to try to reconcile with his wife and visit his kids for the holidays. There was also the whole fact that they have a Office Christmas party going on. There would be no reason for so many employees to be within the office building at night.  Sure it's not slap you over the head Christmasy but Christmas is important to the plot.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Sep 19, 2023, 01:33 PMChristmas IS integral to the plot though. Christmas time is a time for forgiveness and about family. So John Mclaine heads to LA to try to reconcile with his wife and visit his kids for the holidays. There was also the whole fact that they have a Office Christmas party going on. There would be no reason for so many employees to be within the office building at night.  Sure it's not slap you over the head Christmasy but Christmas is important to the plot.

That's fair. It's got Christmas there in a subtle way. I guess I just hear the term "Christmas movie" and immediately think of the super festive stuff. Maybe it's just my perception of the term that keeps me from really seeing it as Christmasy. I wouldn't put it on in the middle of a Christmas movie marathon right between A Christmas Story and Miracle on 34th Street, let's just say that, haha.

But I see your point of view as well.


#27 Sep 19, 2023, 03:31 PM Last Edit: Sep 19, 2023, 03:38 PM by Meatwad
Quote from: DJChameleon on Sep 19, 2023, 01:30 PMAronofsky sold the rights to A24 this year that's why they have their logo plastered on that movie poster.

I just looked it up and you are right. A24 wasn't around in the late 90s when this movie first came out. They have only been around since 2013.

That makes sense. Curious that he sold the rights to the movie. Would be interesting to know which sum of money was involved since it didn't make much at the box office.

Edit : Just looked into it and they released it earlier in the year in IMAX to commemorate its 25 year anniversary.



I've ranted about it before, but considering the theme of this thread, I have to mention it again

Hereditary (2018)



This is Ari Aster's first proper studio backed feature film and still his best movie.

Slight spoiler, the movie is a harrowing family drama/horror with a supernatural twist. That in itself may not sound so original, but it is exquisitely done.

The shots and cinematography is beautiful. How is this his first film? He must've done a lot before, because Aster seems to have such a great eye. There's also a lot of clever details, foreshadowing and just things to wonder about in every scene here.

It's a slow burn, but the drama is intense. It's down to several factors, like Aster's storytelling ability, a non-formulaic script and an especially powerful performance by Toni Collette. The dramatic heights are intense. I'm also a sucker for this sort of feel-bad energy. It goes from bad to worse and then, somehow, even worse.

Towards the end, the movie does get rather creepy, but also darkly comedic. To me, it's like a palate cleanser and the imagery is so great. It's a dark ride, but it leaves me with a smile.

All in all, I consider it the best thing to happen to horror in a very long time. It made me an instant fan of Aster who continues to be an interesting filmmaker, though he has yet to make another movie as good as this.

I hope he will, eventually 🙂

Happiness is a warm manatee