The Harder They Fall (2021)
0 (0%)
The Unforgiven (1992)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: Sep 29, 2023, 11:28 AM

Jan 21, 2023, 01:00 AM Last Edit: Jan 21, 2023, 01:25 AM by Guybrush

The Something Completely Different Film Club

Hey guys! I thought it might be fun to make a film club and discuss some movies together. My suggestion would be to do it in a bi-weekly way like this:

• Week 1 - We announce the movie to watch. Exactly how to get a hold of it is a challenge you likely have to solve on your own.
  • Week 1 - We also make suggestions for the next movie to watch in this thread
  • Week 2 - We make a thread to discuss last movie watched
  • Week 2 - We also vote over last week's suggestions for what to watch next

So, we do the suggesting, polling etc. in here in here and then we do discussions for each movie in its own thread.

I currently only want some very simple rules which are: if you want in, you announce it and I'll maintain a list of members here (probably make a forum membergroup too). Each member gets to suggest one movie per poll and only suggestions that come from members will be voted over.

So, anyone up for it? If yes, I think we can jumpstart week 1 already and start suggesting some movies :)

Happiness is a warm manatee

I tried several times to do this but got no interest, so sure, I'm in.
I should note some genres/film styles I would not watch.
Gory horror
Pyschlogical horror
Teen comedy
Really weird and hard to understand arty stuff (David Lynch style of thing)

Other than that, pretty much ok with most things and happy to sign up.

Like all clubs though, we'd need people reasonably dedicated to it. Exo says he's not interested coming here, but he's such a big movie fan I wonder if he might "guest" on the club maybe? Worth a shot?

Quote from: Trollheart on Jan 21, 2023, 03:18 AMI should note some genres/film styles I would not watch.
Gory horror
Pyschlogical horror
Teen comedy
Really weird and hard to understand arty stuff (David Lynch style of thing)

Other than that, pretty much ok with most things and happy to sign up.

What? To me, weird movies are what movie clubs are about :laughing: I think we just have to poll it out and then you can be excused if the pick falls into an unfavorable category.

About Exo and other dedicated movie buffs who did not make the jump, maybe we could just briefly announce the film club in our thread on MB. Exo made posts there, I think, so should be subscribed.

Ah yeah, I'm not saying don't do them. But if I can't understand what a movie is about I'm going to find it hard to comment on or discuss it. See how it goes I guess. Maybe we could try to make it our first cross-forum collaboration, run it in both forums? Meh, might be messy. I was just thinking of those who want to participate but don't want to leave MB.

But you see, I'd rather discuss something like, maybe The Odd Couple or The Last Temptation of Christ or even Platoon rather than Joe Msizowsky Goes to the Shop for Bread and Comes Back to Find He is Living in Only One Dimension (Director's Cut with special deleted three-dimensional scenes).

I'd be down. I'll watch anything that's not about the struggles of 19th century aristocratic families.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

#5 Jan 22, 2023, 04:24 PM Last Edit: Jan 23, 2023, 09:53 AM by Guybrush
Warm welcomes, Jans :)

Were still very few, but maybe we'll pick up some steam as we go along.

I'll be gentle in my first movie suggestion so as not to scare away potential newcomers. I nominate the following movie:

Heavenly Creatures (Peter Jackson, 1994)

Before Lord of the Rings, Peter Jackson is perhaps most known for his gory horror comedies Bad Taste and Braindead (aka Dead Alive). However, he is a diverse film maker and also made movies like the mockumentary Forgotten Silver, the very adult Muppets parody Meet the Feebles and the PG fantasy horror movie Frighteners starring Michael J. Fox.

A little more obscure perhaps is the movie Heavenly Creatures, a drama based on a true crime story about the intense friendship between two girls Pauline and Juliet, their shared fantasy world Borovnia, and the dire consequences when their friendship becomes threatened.

The movie is Kate Winslet and Melanie Lynskey's first feature film and was generally well received by critics upon its release. It was also nominated for an Oscar for best screenplay.

I've seen this once before, but it's many many years ago and I've been wanting to rewatch it for a long time. I believe it is available on Netflix.

Any other suggestions?

I'm in the same boat with Heavenly Creatures. I've seen it and liked it, but that was many years ago so I'd be up for a re-watch.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

I haven't seen it, but Karen used to love it. Then she had one of her traditional changes of heart and said she no longer wanted to watch it again. I guess I'd be okay with watching it. I'd also suggest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_(2003_film)

(Don't read the whole thing as it will spoil it if you have not already seen it)

or the classic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memento_(film)

Never seen Heavenly Creatures, but I did watch Meet the Feebles once in college with the bass player from my old band while we were both immeasurably high. I completely forgot it existed, haha.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

#9 Jan 23, 2023, 04:38 PM Last Edit: Jan 23, 2023, 04:40 PM by Guybrush
Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Jan 22, 2023, 08:22 PMNever seen Heavenly Creatures, but I did watch Meet the Feebles once in college with the bass player from my old band while we were both immeasurably high. I completely forgot it existed, haha.

I think this burgeoning little club of ours could DEFINITELY need someone who likes to get high and watch Meet the Feebles. What do you say? :)

@Trollheart I fell asleep to Memento once so wouldn't mind watching that again, but might be even more interested in Identity as I've never heard of it before.

We should also figure out how many suggestions to accept per person to avoid getting swamped one this thing really takes off. For now, let's follow Troll's example and suggest two movies each?

#10 Jan 23, 2023, 05:18 PM Last Edit: Feb 12, 2023, 09:30 AM by Guybrush
By the way, I made a membergroup for the film club with its own snazzy popcorn icon. I'll admit I did it as much out of curiosity / checking out functionality as anything else.

BUT That means you can rock your own popcorn icon if you want to try it out.

If so, do like this:

• Click your little avatar icon on top of the page
  • Click Account Settings from the menu
  • Set SCD Film Club as your primary group

PS: Only available to film club members

I don't have time in my life for a film club but Heavenly Creatures is one of my all time favourites so if you guys will watch it I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts

QuoteI think this burgeoning little club of ours could DEFINITELY need someone who likes to get high and watch Meet the Feebles. What do you say? :)

I would love to join!

My only worry is staying consistent; I'm not sure what I would do about movies that aren't on Netflix or free streaming, it's not within our budget to pay for another streaming service.

But I'll participate when I am able, so sign me up!

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

^Done :) welcome to the popcorn squad

Quote from: Marie Monday on Jan 23, 2023, 09:58 PMI don't have time in my life for a film club but Heavenly Creatures is one of my all time favourites so if you guys will watch it I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts

Cool, I'll drop you a mention if/when it's up for discussion.

Have you seen Jackson's other early films?