Quote from: Saulaac on Mar 21, 2024, 11:00 PMSo I had promised myself and everyone that I would try to post something in this thread. I'm pleased that we finally did our first semi-improv recordings! (This is jsut audio but maybe we'll try to do some video in the future if we can get hold of the tech).

Just like the Workout thread, we all have to start somewhere. This is my 11 year old son on the drums doing well trying to keep it tight, with me on bass basically running up and down the bottom E string trying to give him something punky funky to drum along to. The recording is raw directly from a phone so enjoy the racket and congrats if you make it to the end.

And we liked those riffs a lot so we did a second take:

Nice, @Saulaac 🙂 it's the school of rock!!

How cool that you two play together like that. I used to play drums way back and would love to have a kit, but I don't think we have space, unfortunately.

Happiness is a warm manatee

True that a drum kit takes up half a room. But at the moment the kids are OK to sleep in the same room in order to keep the other one free for drums and bass and xylophone, so I'm like well yeah let's see how this works out.

I've peaked, but they can only get better  :band:

Try and get back on the drums GB!

Quote from: Saulaac on Mar 22, 2024, 01:02 AMTrue that a drum kit takes up half a room. But at the moment the kids are OK to sleep in the same room in order to keep the other one free for drums and bass and xylophone, so I'm like well yeah let's see how this works out.

I've peaked, but they can only get better  :band:

Try and get back on the drums GB!

I've thought about buying a midi kit because they take up less space and record easily (I'd probably just use the midi out to control drum VSTis), but then I never played one that I actually liked the feel of.

With an acoustic set, I'd probably lose what little hearing I have left 😄

I do slap my thighs a lot, though.

Happiness is a warm manatee

You're right about the hearing aspect. For the younger ones it could be wise for them to wear ear plugs or something. I'll speak to his drum teacher about it.

Here's another improv we did a couple of weeks ago. A bit grungy morphing into light rock. I felt we were getting possessed by the spirit of Gordon Sumner at one point, as there's no way I could play those sliding octaves again like I did  :devil:.   Glad we recorded it.

Also I'd just like to mention that as/when we get better, I'd like to have a go at adding basslines to the other live posts by other members of the community. When I listen to them I often wonder what kind of harmonies could fit. We could have a virtual joint performance in a few years!

Just made this

"I own the mail" or whatever Elph said

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!