oh yes how could I forget about Bratmobile
Bikini Kill is also great for that matter

I like the band a lot, but I agree, "Neutral Milk Hotel" is an absolutely terrible name. It sounds kinda gross even just saying it.

And I don't like "Snarky Puppy" either, in addition to sounding a bit obnoxious, it always makes me think people are talking about Skinny Puppy, whose music I like better.

So I'm definitely with you 100% on both of those.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Yes!

And 10cc. So boring.

The Edge? It just sounds pretentious!

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Aug 08, 2023, 12:42 AMI (also) love Poly Styrene as an artist name 🙂

Some that I like:

• The 13th Floor Elevators
  • Bratmobile
  • King Crimson
  • New York Dolls
  • Siouxsie and the Banshees
  • The Future Sound of London
  • Nick Cave (& also The Bad Seeds)
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Samla Mammas Manna
  • Squirrel Nut Zippers
  • Suzanne Vega
  • The Raincoats
  • The Residents
  • The Sisters of Mercy
  • The Slits
  • Television
  • The Velvet Underground

Some names I don't like:

• 10cc
  • Culture Club
  • Foo Fighters
  • Guano Apes
  • Kingston Wall
  • The Mamas & the Papas
  • Neutral Milk Hotel
  • Porcupine Tree
  • Snarky Puppy
  • Sting
  • System of a Down
  • The Edge
  • Wet Wet Wet

Sorry for mentioning so many. Once I started, it was hard to stop 😄

I do think Siouxsie and the Banshees deserve a special mention. It's such a great name along with Siouxsie Sioux.

That's a whole bunch of names, Guybrush! I agree most with your list of "dislikes", as some are really weak.

Yeah, the minute you say it to yourself, you realize that Siouxsie Sioux is just brilliant!

Back in the early 60s, bands liked to go for short, clever names, and two of the best names were snapped up by The Who and Yes.

In the psychedelic era, there were some cool, wacky juxtapositions like Iron Butterfly that made you think, "Wow! Imagine if that were a thing!". More recently, someone who failed to come up with a decent juxtaposition like that is the guy who calls himself Fatboy Slim. That's a big name fail imo.

And how about the punk stage names? Have they stood the test of time well? For it's OTT outrageousness I think Rat Scabies is my favourite. It's a lot more memorable than the name he was born with: Christopher Millar, who grew up in genteel Kingston Upon Thames:

To get lost is to learn the way.