Has anyone here played Bug Fables? I finally beat it the other day! It's like a slightly harder Paper Mario. Very good game! Incredibly charming!

Little Kitty, Big City is game of the year.

I wanna play the OG Fallout games so bad these days ahhhh

One day I'll figure out how to get it running on mac.  Can't figure out the virtual machine thing yet

"I own the mail" or whatever Elph said

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!

Decided on a whim to install the Mass Effect legendary collection on Xbox and have been connected to my TV playing the first Mass Effect literally all day. I have never actually played through any of these games before and I am repeatedly kicking myself right now for not doing so earlier because holy shit I'm not even really that far into the game and I'm having an absolute blast. I just finished a series of mission on an asteroid after you leave the Citadel and i wasnt even expecting there to be anything on this asteroid. I just chose it randomly when i went to the galaxy map. I've been a long long longtime fan of the KOTOR series and everyone has always told me to check out the Mass Effect series but I just never did.

I unfortunately have Covid for the 2nd time so I won't be back to work until next Monday so I needed something to take up my time while I'm basically 'bedridden'.

Sorry to hear about the COVID @Key, I hope you feel better soon!

Mass Effect was totally unique for the time. The idea back then of a series in which you'd take your save file and choices into a completely new game, and those choices would have consequences for the new game was pretty much unheard of then. To be honest, I don't love the combat/gunplay of the series, but the role-playing elements definitely more than make up for it. Great series that I need to revisit.

I also remember being in high school when Mass Effect 3 dropped. There was a huge outrage, without spoiling anything, about the ending of the game. People were fucking livid. After a little while, the developer dropped a DLC (I think it was free) that corrected things and provided a more proper ending to the series.

Quote from: SGR on Sep 12, 2024, 04:09 AMSorry to hear about the COVID @Key, I hope you feel better soon!

Mass Effect was totally unique for the time. The idea back then of a series in which you'd take your save file and choices into a completely new game, and those choices would have consequences for the new game was pretty much unheard of then. To be honest, I don't love the combat/gunplay of the series, but the role-playing elements definitely more than make up for it. Great series that I need to revisit.

I also remember being in high school when Mass Effect 3 dropped. There was a huge outrage, without spoiling anything, about the ending of the game. People were fucking livid. After a little while, the developer dropped a DLC (I think it was free) that corrected things and provided a more proper ending to the series.

The combat took a little to get used to and I don't think it's particularly excellent but it does the job well enough that combat at the very least, feels decent to good. I've really been impressed with the writing and interactions between characters, especially given that you have a voiced protagonist. That's not an easy thing to pull off and to have conversations feel natural. I also really like that, so far, the choices you make in dialogue tends to have an effect on the outcome of whatever you're doing. It often times makes me want to revert my save just to see what would've happened had I chosen a different route. But I typically don't like to do that. I feel it has more of an impact on character development if you're kind of stuck with the choices you make. I've also really enjoyed the companions I've gotten as they are all unique and interesting. But yeah, I would say the dialogue, story and the overall feel of the writing are my favorite parts of the game so far. I've heard a lot about how the 3rd game is kind of the weak link of the bunch, and I think I know what you're getting at as I've seen a lot of game publications talk about these games over the years. I'm just excited that I'll be able to say I've finally experienced these games for myself.

I'm currently playing through Star Wars Outlaws and I got back into Fire Emblem Engage after acquiring another Switch.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Sep 12, 2024, 06:17 PMI'm currently playing through Star Wars Outlaws and I got back into Fire Emblem Engage after acquiring another Switch.

I need to find something else than Elden ring, having smashed the base game again on New Game+. My motivation is dwindling.

How are you finding Outlaws?

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Sep 16, 2024, 12:26 AMI need to find something else than Elden ring, having smashed the base game again on New Game+. My motivation is dwindling.

How are you finding Outlaws?

If you like stealth/ cover shooters in 3rd person. You will love this game.

I was this cool the whole time.

Speaking of stealth games, they're remaking the original Splinter Cell. I'm so stoked for that. Absolutely love the series.

I don't really love stealth games that much, even though I occasionally so enjoy that approach in games like Skyrim and the Far Crys.

Quote from: Guybrush on Sep 16, 2024, 07:27 PMI don't really love stealth games that much, even though I occasionally so enjoy that approach in games like Skyrim and the Far Crys.

Those games' implementation of stealth mechanics is rather bare-bones and basic. Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid, and Hitman are the real shit. Absolutely love those games. And much of the time, those games allow the gameplay to devolve into pure chaos once you've been spotted - so you go from secret spy mode into Rambo mode until you can hide again. I love how the games offer so many different approaches to every encounter in the game. Neutralizing enemies, where you hide the bodies, who you should interrogate for information, learning enemy paths, creating distractions, etc. Many games, it feels like you're a dog chasing a bone. With stealth games, it makes you feel like a cat stalking its prey from the shadows.

#132 Sep 16, 2024, 11:00 PM Last Edit: Sep 16, 2024, 11:55 PM by innerspaceboy
I'm fondly revisiting the games of my era by watching world record speedruns of Apogee/Id classics like the Commander Keen series and other MS-DOS platformer arcade classics.

Sorry @Guybrush, I never really got into the point-and-click SCUMM adventure titles like The Secret of Monkey Island, but I wholly respect their iconic role in video game history.

(I'm like this all the time.)

I looked through the long list of game pass titles and picked out Firewatch, so started that. It's really a walking simulator, at least so far, with a very human story and characters. It's a nice change of pace from all my Elden Ringing.

One annoying thing is the game takes place our in nature, but this character you play is locked to paths in that annoying way where things you'd easily traverse in real life - like say pushing a branch our of the way or a rock that comes up to your knees - become insurmountable obstacles. Seems kinda incompetent for an outdoorsman 😅