Soundtrack time!

Across the Spiderverse Soundtrack (2023)

This is the current album and I will update the OP soonish.

I was this cool the whole time.

#61 Oct 24, 2023, 03:48 AM Last Edit: Oct 24, 2023, 03:52 AM by DJChameleon
Squid - Bright Green Field

Is the current album for the next two weeks.

If you listened to the Spiderverse soundtrack drop your review also.

Also we need a few more album recommendations because the next two are from me and I'd like to sandwich my albums between others. So we aren't just reviewing my album recommendations.

Across The Spiderverse Review

Soundtracks are not among my favourite albums for a couple of reasons, neither of which are the fault of the musicians, but are a consequence of what they are usually trying to do, which is (i) to be discreet so as to not overwhelm what is going on on-screen and (ii) to evoke various moods: one bit for falling in love, one bit for chasing the bad guy,etc.

Given those limitations, Across The S has some good tracks: the suitably dramatic opener is one, the beautiful Rio And Miles is another. They are what I would call "symphonic synth" as they seem to be doing that; using modern instruments, but often creating that sweeping orchestral sound. Generally, my favourites were the ones which were enlivened with a good electronic pulse like Guggenhim Assemble, and also the ones that lasted over 2 mins ; alas, there were quite a lot of short tracks that set a calm mood but didn't advance or develop very much. They were fulfilling their job requirement from the director very creditably, I should think, but I found them rather forgettable as I couldn't relate them to the movie. These are the tracks like Spothole I, Under The Clock Tower (which is notable for being pretty good).

Short or not, this album runs to 34 tracks, so I hope I'll be forgiven for not listening to them all. I did notice a couple of tracks that had a pace  suggestive of a chase sequence, (OK, but nothing very innovative) and one track that, I suppose, is to transport us to India (not bad of itself, but sounding rather out of place here).

TBH, I don't think I'll be revisiting this album because, even though it is very well-executed, even on the best tracks there isn't much that I sounds new to me. Spacey synth, pulsing synth, symphonic synth - I feel have have enough go-to albums in these styles and don't particularly need a new one. Sorry, guys. 3.5/10   

To get lost is to learn the way.

Ooooh I'm so sorry. I didn't specify. You listened to the score but I meant for it to be the Metro Boomin one. Like music inspired by type.

Even I haven't listened to the score yet but I had the Metro Boomin one on heavy replay

^ Wow! That's a very different style of music, DJ !

No worries, though: I like this album club for the way it motivates me to listen attentively to music that I wouldn't otherwise hear. In that sense, I was happy to try Spiderverse, even if *ahem* no one else is reviewing either the right album or the wrong one. :)

To get lost is to learn the way.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Oct 27, 2023, 02:10 AM^ Wow! That's a very different style of music, DJ !

No worries, though: I like this album club for the way it motivates me to listen attentively to music that I wouldn't otherwise hear. In that sense, I was happy to try Spiderverse, even if *ahem* no one else is reviewing either the right album or the wrong one. :)

I think people are just a little busy lately but I will get to the current one and review it. I think I still have to review Spiderverse as well. I might have some time to do both today.

I updated the OP with the current album.

I think we are going to take a break for November and that will give people time to catch up on the last three albums. I'm going to wait until December 4th to switch to the next album.

In the mean time, we do need some more suggestions for albums to go over. So anyone that is still participating in this just drop your recommendations.

This is the list of the last three.

Across the Spiderverse Soundtrack listen to the one from Metro Boomin not the other one like Lisna made the mistake of doing.

Squid - Bright Green Field

Barbie Soundtrack. If it doesn't start with a track from Lizzo you are listening to the wrong one. I think Barbie only had one soundtrack. They didn't do the whole inspired by AND composer type soundtrack like many movies tend to do.

#67 Dec 13, 2023, 06:35 PM Last Edit: Dec 13, 2023, 07:25 PM by DJChameleon
Sorry guys I'm super late. I had planned to start us back up on December 4th and today is the 13th.

I'm going to go through and see where we are at and set up the next album we should be listening to.

If worse comes to worst and I'm the only one reviewing albums then so be it until everyone else becomes less busy and wants to join in.

Edit: OP is updated.

We are on JPEG Mafia and Danny Brown's collab album.

Still need suggestions for future albums.

My review of Metro Boomin's inspired by Soundtrack to Across the Spider Verse.

Yeah, so all summer after hearing Am I dreaming? by Rosiee and ASAP Rocky. I have played this soundtrack on repeat several times. I think the overall soundtrack has like no skip tracks. I can repeatedly listen to it from beginning to end and not get bored and enjoy myself every single time. Nas Morales is a great ending to the soundtrack.

My favorite tracks are Am I Dreaming? Non violent communication, Self Love and Calling.

There is a track called Danger that is the only one I'm always tempted to skip because of the ad lib "Spider" being repeated so much but JID comes on near the end of the track and his flow just saves it. Offset almost ruined it.

:5stars:

If I had to give it a rating it would be that. I also like Silk and Cologne because it has a West Indian vibe to it that reminds me of home. When West Indians say home they are referring to their home island even if they weren't born there. My "home" is St. Thomas and St. Kitts.

I'm going to wait til January 1st to do a new album while I slowly catch up with reviews of the last few that I missed out on.

If this album club ends up turning into me just doing solo reviews so be it. I'm fine with that. I won't let the ship go down. I'll keep it pushing until people have more free time to join in.

Anyone interested in joining this anymore? I was gonna push through and just review the albums by myself but then that would be the same as if I had a journal and it's not as fun for what is supposed to be an album club.