Saw a local cinematheque is having a mini retrospective in August and got excited. Anyone else here a fan? I've always thought I was more in the camp of the understated Antonioni rather than the carnivalesque Fellini but seeing Roma on the big screen a couple of years ago and then Amarcord made me a passionate fan. 

Really looking forward to see Nights of Cabiria on the big screen.

Here's Germaine Greer on why that film is Fellini at his finest ("the final emancipation of cinema from the narrative") and also on her relationship with the great man

Fantastic tribute by Scorsese

And this is one of those weird pandemic artefacts, where a conference celebrating his centenary is held over zoom and the great Canadian filmmaker is talking from his living room and showing photos off his phone

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

The only Fellini film I remember seeing is 8½ and I remember I didn't particularly like it. However, it's so long ago and I've matured a lot as a movie watcher since those days, so I wouldn't mind a rewatch or perhaps see something else by him.

Happiness is a warm manatee

It was my first Fellini too and I loved it. Maybe in part cause I knew it was *Fellini* and wanted to love it but I also found it really charming and funny even if some of it was a bit too grownup and flew over my head

No woman has ever looked more beautiful than Claudia Cardinale in it

Quote from: Guybrush on Jul 22, 2023, 12:50 AMThe only Fellini film I remember seeing is 8½ and I remember I didn't particularly like it. However, it's so long ago and I've matured a lot as a movie watcher since those days, so I wouldn't mind a rewatch or perhaps see something else by him.

Actually Scorsese in the above clip says he wanted to show 8 1/2 to his 16-year-old daughter but decided it wouldn't mean a lot to her if she hasn't seen the earlier ones so he ushered her into Fellini's world with La Strada and a few others before getting to 8 1/2.

I would start with I vitelloni, another one of his earlier ones. According to Guy Maddin,

QuoteThis has got to be the most wonderful film about that transitional period that groups of close friends in young adulthood must go through as they accept more and more the responsibilities of maturity. There is so much spontaneous camaraderie, natural humor, truth, and, finally, Chekhovian sadness in this gentle masterpiece. Plus, those Italian slackers sure know how to dress!

Quote from: jadis on Jul 22, 2023, 12:59 PMI would start with I vitelloni, another one of his earlier ones. According to Guy Maddin,

Thanks for the tip! I've added it to my list of movies to watch 🙂

Happiness is a warm manatee