Walking into the room and opening the creaky door that slams shuts behind me. The hair on my arms are standing up stiffer than a starched collar on a dress shirt. Glancing around the room, I catch a glimpse of dust bunnies fucking. Yes, you heard me right piles of dust in the shape of an actual bunny having intercourse. I think to myself. I've seen it all now. I search the room looking for a duster to clean up the place a bit while I'm constantly coughing because of how stuffy the general room is. I find an aluminum Wu Tang symbol in the corner of the room. I think to myself I know exactly where I am and what I will be doing going forward. It's time for me to put on my research cap and explore this dingy room.

Well, it's time for me to venture into Journal land again. I know I always start up these cool journals but never keep up with them or follow through till I finish but maybe things will be different this time around. In this journal I'm going to be going through the Wu Tang Discography and all of their solo projects for each member. Yes, even U-God. if he has any solo material. I don't know but I will be finding out. My wife is big into Wu-Tang which is pretty funny because she just became a fan in the span of a year. She used their music to help get over a breakup and now she goes around gatekeeping who can be fans and who aren't true diehard fans. I got her tickets to see them and Nas in the fall. She's also getting a Wu Tang tattoo on her ankle pretty soon.

I've listened to various Wu Tang songs over the years but never really sat down and went through an album from beginning to end. So, this will be my time to hyper focus on them. I'll also use to journal to help me work on my music reviewing skills and to drop a short story from time to time based off of the theme of individual solo projects. It will give me an outlet to do some free writes and we shall see what comes of it. I won't be pressuring myself to submit entries on a timed schedule because I feel like that leads to burn out. So, I will update this journal whenever I feel like it pretty much.

Welcome to the Wu Library.

I was this cool the whole time.

#1 Jul 20, 2023, 04:12 PM Last Edit: Dec 23, 2023, 12:41 PM by DJChameleon
Table of Contents:

Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Wu-Tang Forever
The W
Iron Flag
8 Diagrams
A Better Tomorrow
Wu-Tang: The Saga Continues

Solo Albums:
GZA - Liquid Swords
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Ghostface Killah - Ironman

I'm going to continually add to this post but I'm going to start with the order of the albums that I will be listening to then reviewing which is most likely going to be all of their group efforts and then I'll start with Ghostface's solo material.

So I've already been listening to albums on this list. I will post my reviews shortly.
I made my way through Enter The Wu Tang(36 Chambers) and I'm currently in the middle of Wu Tang Forever.

I loved Enter The Wu-Tang(36 Chambers)

I'm always so hesitant to rate anything a 10/10 but I might have to do it for this debut album. They really hit it out of the park with this one.
The did such a good job that when I started listening to Wu-Tang Forever. I was a bit let down/disappointed. So far it's pretty good but it's just not on the same level as the debut.

I also didn't realize that Triumph was on the second album. I also can't believe that I've waited this long to actually listen to Wu-Tang albums front to back. I have always liked their singles and know songs here and there but never listened to their albums from beginning to end. Based off of watching the Hulu show Rza was my favorite but Method Man lyrically is my favorite and I know that probably sounds like an easy answer that most people would say but he just flows so well over anything that he's talking about. RZA, I'm like what are you talking about son. I love his production work but outside of that he reminds me of an old roommate of mines.

My old roommate's rap name was The Pariah and he would have some complex/complicated lyrics talking about weird shit that doesn't connect together but sounds good sonically and now it all makes sense why he did that. He was a big Wu-Tang fan and I'm sure RZA and Ghostface were his two favorites.

At a later time I'm going to go through each member of the group and list of a track that highlights their lyrical prowess the best imo.

I'm going to give 36 Chambers a 10/10 or 5 stars. It is definitely a classic for a reason and well deserved one.

:5stars:

One of the greatest rap albums ever, front to back I think it's even a contender for THE best. Nine dudes with unique voices and personalities, RZA's production style is so gritty and lofi and really complements the rappers super well, a stone cold classic album. Been listening since around 2002 (funnily enough I'm pretty sure I first discovered them through the System of a Down cover of "Shame" that I downloaded on Kazaa or something, haha) and it's aged like the finest of wines.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

As I'm making my way through their discography. I keep getting the urge to watch old school kung fun flicks. I might definitely look up some and start watching a few. I'm not going to make any promises but if I feel like it. I might do a little write up on certain movies depending on which ones I watch. They definitely tie into this journal and the essence of what Wu Tang was about.

I'm currently on the fifth album(8 Diagrams). I just haven't written up an entry for each album I've completed but I will work on doing that over the next few days. Another thing I have noticed is that, I know at least two to three songs very well from each album. I have just never taken the time to listen to those albums front to back as a complete project.

Wu Tang Forever

It has a whopping 27 songs and I was wondering why but come to find out that it was pressed as a double album. It comes after a long run of successful solo albums from various members so they really wanted to go in on this album and show they still work well together even after all this time.

Triumph is definitely the stand out from this album that the casual listener would know even if they don't know Wu Tang all that well. I had a strange experience listening to this album because of how tight the debut was. I was on a high from that album and then when I get to this one. I feel like the length of it didn't really help and maybe I just had my expectations super high riding off my listening experience of the debut album. I will be honest I didn't like this second album as much. I feel like I have to give it a few more listens but right now it's sitting at a 2/5 to me.

Just a sneak peak at my review for the third album I will go into a bit more detail but they definitely made up for it with The W compared to Wu Tang Forever imo.

:2stars:

36 Chambers is good but Liquid Swords is better and imo is the best Wu release.

They were always gonna find it hard to top that debut though.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Jul 30, 2023, 02:28 AM36 Chambers is good but Liquid Swords is better and imo is the best Wu release.

They were always gonna find it hard to top that debut though.

So I haven't really listened to their solo projects at all really.

Is Liquid Swords Ghostface's album?

Quote from: DJChameleon on Jul 30, 2023, 03:00 AMSo I haven't really listened to their solo projects at all really.

Is Liquid Swords Ghostface's album?

Liquid Swords is Gza

"I own the mail" or whatever Elph said

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!

Quote from: tristan_geoff on Jul 30, 2023, 11:53 AMLiquid Swords is Gza

Thanks I'm going to make a list of the solo projects and after I finish up the main discography I will go through them.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Jul 30, 2023, 12:39 PMThanks I'm going to make a list of the solo projects and after I finish up the main discography I will go through them.

Only Built 4 Cuban Linx is the next one imo.

Those three together are the top 3 by a long way.

Only God knows.

If it counts I think Gravediggaz is definitely my favorite project by a Wu member outside of the group, though of course not solo. Liquid Swords is a close second.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Blackout 1 and 2 are my faves. I have listened to those. I know Redman isn't technically a member but he's close enough.

So quick update, I have finished all the main Wu Tang albums, I just haven't did reviews on each one. I will get to them over the next few days. Also I'm trying to decide who I will start with next while tackling the solo projects.

If you intend to do each member in order then start with Ghost imo.

If you are not bothered about that then start with Liquid Swords, OB4CL and Ironman.

Only God knows.

Yeah so since I don't care too much about chronological order of debut albums being released I will go with Jimmy's idea.

Also I thought I ended up hearing a copy of Once Upon a Time in Shaolin but it was a clearly produced mash up of different lyrics and beats from other things to give it a classic Wu-Tang sound.

I was really easily conned because the intro to the Youtube video is someone putting the record onto a record player but if I paid attention to the opening intro they are discussing how much they hated that Martin Shkreli ended up with the copy of the album which wouldn't make sense for them to talk about that before he even acquired it.