Jan 07, 2023, 07:37 PM Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 08:10 AM by Guybrush
The coffee thread

How do you take your coffee, black or with milk? How do you make it?

If I'm working, I probably drink about 4 or 5 cups a day. A really common brewer in Norway is the Technivorm moccamaster and it actually makes a great cup of filter coffee.

At home, the regular cup for me is a chemex pour-over brew of lightly roasted beans, perhaps of african origin. I use about 6 grams of coffee to 100 grams of water and a temperature always below boiling, sometimes closer to 80 centigrades. I really like fresh tasting coffees with flowery nuances.

We also used to have an nespresso machine, but that broke some years ago. If we want espresso based coffees at home, we use a bialetti mocca brewer with finely ground espresso beans to make faux-espresso, then use our old nespresso milk foamer to add milk foam for cappucinos (generally our favorite espresso-based coffee).

How do you like your caffeine?

edit:

Here's how I do my chemex.
  • I heat water to a little over 80 centigrades (we have a smart water heater & boiler with an inbuilt thermostat)
  • I grind coffee beans (filter setting) - two of our spoons is about 30 grams
  • I put in the filter and wet it with hot water which I pour out
  • I place the chemex with wet filter on weight and tare it
  • I add the ground coffee to the chemex, note the weight of the coffee and tare
  • I gently pour over a small amount of water, roughly the same weight as the coffee
  • I let it sit for about 30 seconds (blooming)
  • I then gently pour over the rest of the water. My goal is usually 100 grams of water for every 6 grams of coffee.
  • If I reach 500 grams of water and the pot needs more, I stop and wait for the 500 grams to filter through before adding more

I sometimes change things up depending on coffee / context, but this is the jist of it.

Happiness is a warm manatee

I have stopped drinking coffee and I feel so much better without it. 

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Jan 11, 2023, 05:29 PMI have stopped drinking coffee and I feel so much better without it. 

So coffee makes you sick? What kinda coffees were you drinking?

Caffeine does.

Only God knows.

#4 Jan 12, 2023, 11:24 AM Last Edit: Jan 12, 2023, 04:35 PM by Comus
I drink about 10 ish cups of coffee a day when I am not working from home (where my caffeine intake is mostly covered by coke alongside some very strong instant coffee). At home I have started drinking mostly Friele Instant Gull as it has the correct colour (black), the correct content (caffeine) and is still drinkable how I make it (way too strong).

In the age of ignorance, being informed is a choice.

Strong instant coffee is my go-to if I'm needing one cup / fix to sort out my caffeine withdrawal headache :laughing:

To make it more palatable, I add milk and sugar - something I never do otherwise with filter coffees.

Quote from: Comus on Jan 12, 2023, 11:24 AMI drink about 10 ish cups of coffee a day when I am not working from home (where my caffeine intake is mostly covered by coke alongside some very strong instant coffee). At home I have started drinking mostly Friele Instant Gull as it has the correct colour (black), the correct content (caffeine) and is still drinkable how I make it (way too strong).

10 cups a day seems a little excessive. Don't you get the jitters or insomnia?

Only God knows.

Took a 3 day break from coffee, probably going to switch to green tea once this coffee is drank up

https://twitter.com/shhon_

Big fan of the Internet
Kindness is the highest form of intelligence

Green tea I never quite saw the appeal of. What's there to like about it?

Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 12, 2023, 07:46 PMGreen tea I never quite saw the appeal of. What's there to like about it?

Not really sure, just something different :)

Big fan of the Internet

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Jan 12, 2023, 06:31 PM10 cups a day seems a little excessive. Don't you get the jitters or insomnia?
Nah, almost 20 years of constant caffeine abuse means it literally doesn't affect me unless I don't get any. I drink caffeine constantly throughout the day and still sleep as usual.

In the age of ignorance, being informed is a choice.

I go through phases where I drink coffee a few times a week or daily for a few months and then I lose interest and stop for several months. I just started drinking a daily cup of coffee in the morning after not drinking any coffee for about 10 months. I have a small single cup brewer that I use and I usually just add a teaspoon of brown sugar or maple syrup to the cup. No milk or cream for me.

Switching to green tea tomorrow

Big fan of the Internet

Quote from: Mindy on Jan 17, 2023, 12:00 AMSwitching to green tea tomorrow

Is that Chi-com green tea, comrade?

It's a powder you dissolve in water? That's not how tea is made.