Quote from: Jwb on Jul 31, 2023, 06:52 PMHow about israel?

I find that on the whole Israelis are pretty grounded. It's a tiny country with many immediate security threats and that already means that people have a different relationship with reality to someone living in huge and sprawling countries where there are no real everyday external threats. Even though it's heavily americanized in many ways the people's mentality is really, really different.

I think the average Israeli is likely to be pissed off about many things, including the country's international perception, the never ending political crisis and so on. But I don't see them take the extra step to something like qanon or whatever.

It's not so much that they consciously know that conspiracy theories tend to be antisemitic as they just don't think in that way. Including the most aggressively racist ones.

Arabs is a different story though from what I can tell

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

Quote from: Jwb on Jul 31, 2023, 05:44 PMwhat about Canada?

Well with this guy as Prime Minister you'd think it would be worse than the U.S.

People who obsessively hate JT are so humorless

My man knows loves to dress up and have wholesome fun of the kind we're no longer capable of. It was one of the few times a dumb and cosseted rich kid did a blackface with zero hate in his heart and conservatives had to pretend they were outraged by it

Quote from: SGR on Aug 01, 2023, 03:56 PM

I love this so much. The richest guy in the world who can get anything he wants but what he really wants is to receive recognition for being witty. i.e. the one thing money can't buy and he'll never be

If he really wanted recognition, he wouldn't troll people the way he does.  I think he's more interested in shaking up the snowglobe every day and seeing how it all settles out.  People who care about being "witty" project a different sort of image across their social media and other avenues.

Only if you decide that "recognition" means positive feedback

He desperately tries to be a funny and edgy troll who "triggers" some people while making others laugh. And he succeeds, among reddit autists or a subset of tech bros. Outside of that niche, his Twitter presence is sad and cringeworthy

He doesn't really bother me but his fascination with the letter X is weird. There was no need to change Twitter's name. Also I notice a load more spam and advertising on there since he started running it.

Seems like a bit of a 'look at me' type but he doesn't wind me up as much as he appears to wind up other people.

Only God knows.

The only part that bothers me is that he continues to fail upwards only white males can pull that off.

I was this cool the whole time.

He cheeses me off because he's a transphobe to the max who behaves like a 2006-era 4chan edgelord a third his age and uses "free speech" the way said edgelords used "it's just a joke bro" to justify posting the most racist garbage you've ever heard in your life.

And yeah, I wouldn't have a problem with him existing if he didn't have billions of dollars and an extremely widely used website that has become his own personal far right propaganda playground.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Guess we should split this off into a new Elon Musk thread? Anyway,

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvX0AagNjJE/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

Quote from: DJChameleon on Aug 02, 2023, 08:06 PMThe only part that bothers me is that he continues to fail upwards only white males can pull that off.

Lol what does that even mean.  He sold a successful company back in the late 90's and used financial leverage he gained from that to get into founding PayPal, which was a pretty smart bet.  You could make the argument that he's had a lot of luck, but his trajectory isn't any different from anyone else who had a few good wins early. You think white people are the only ones who have followed this blueprint?

Quote from: Nimbly9 on Aug 03, 2023, 06:19 PMLol what does that even mean.  He sold a successful company back in the late 90's and used financial leverage he gained from that to get into founding PayPal, which was a pretty smart bet.  You could make the argument that he's had a lot of luck, but his trajectory isn't any different from anyone else who had a few good wins early. You think white people are the only ones who have followed this blueprint?

What it means to fail upwards is how he makes stupid decisions and still continues to be "successful". I guess when your family owns blood diamond mines and gives you a small loan of a million dollars to start whatever project you want it hits differently.

No not only white people have followed the blueprint of nepotism but you can't argue that a large percentage of people that benefit this way are white.

I was this cool the whole time.